PDA

View Full Version : The City of Dadal Borovo

dasneviano
10-25-2012, 09:44 AM
Hi guys! I started a new map yesterday. It's an important city on my universe, the capital of an old, declining empire. It started out as a quick sketch so I know my way around the city when writing about it, but I got carried away as usual, and now I'm not so sure about which style to pursue: to keep the sketchy look or to go for a more realistic one? Opinions?

Lyandra
10-25-2012, 10:59 AM
Looks like a very ambitious project. :) I really like the layout of the city. As to the style... I would love to see a realistic version of this map but I like the "sketchy" style too... Guess that wasn't too helpful. :oops:

dasneviano
10-26-2012, 09:47 PM
Thanks Lyandra! :D
Here's a sketch I made of more or less how I imagine to city to look like:

Larb
10-26-2012, 10:17 PM
That three dimensional sketch map is fantastic, I'm surprised you need another map of the city although if you need a streetplan and such, I can see why.

jbgibson
10-27-2012, 01:14 AM
I'm with Larb - the 3d version is superior! Okay, a street map has a different purpose. If you need one, I like the simple network of red roads better than those with blocks of buildings. That one seems to show the layout better. Plus, the way the two with buildings are constructed, only the interior of blocks have buildings. That seems implausible... I would figure especially the districts up on the hillside would have some houses and shops on both sides of the uppermost and lowest roads.

Nice work, whether done or not. I hope you'll be entering some contests (well, not the ones I enter!).

Lyandra
10-27-2012, 06:56 AM
Wow! That sketch is awesome! Although it looks to me more like a finished map than a sketch... :P Great work, I love three dimensional city maps. Guessing from the quality of that city view the top-down version of it will look as wonderful (or even better) when finished. :)

amberroberts09
10-27-2012, 08:51 AM
Thanks Lyandra! :D
Here's a sketch I made of more or less how I imagine to city to look like:

It is Awesome !!

Blaidd Drwg
10-27-2012, 09:44 AM
I agree that the 'sketch' (seriously understated) is quite awesome in its own right, but I'm very curious to see the finished map. It looks very promising. Good luck!

dasneviano
10-28-2012, 10:23 AM
Thanks a lot everyone, you guys are great! :D
And jbgibson, you're right, I'll add some more random buildings along the roads. It came off that way because I had just finished painting the blocks using the road network as a mask.
And about the "sketch", it's true I ended up spending more time in it than I intended. I'm glad you guys like it!

Here's the newest WIP.

jtougas
10-28-2012, 11:59 AM
Looks great. The only thing I might suggest is changing the color of the city wall. It blends in with the buildings as it is now. I love the fields texture outside of the city. :)

dasneviano
10-28-2012, 04:07 PM
Good idea, Jtougas! :)
OK, anything else before I call it a day and consider this finished?

jtougas
10-28-2012, 04:14 PM
It looks really good. Some of the shadows on the cliffs seem off to me. It seems as though they should follow the shapes of the cliffs themselves. All in all a great map :)

dasneviano
10-30-2012, 11:13 AM
Probably done with this one:

jtougas
10-30-2012, 12:40 PM
Looks Great !! :)

Lyandra
10-31-2012, 07:31 AM
I really like it. :)

Is it an aqueduct depicted on your map? Is the source of water within the rocks the castle stands on? I'm asking out of curiosity. The fact that the water from the "aqueduct" falls into the big body of water is also interesting... ;)

dasneviano
10-31-2012, 08:46 AM
It's an aqueduct indeed! It runs from the mountains in the southwest all the way to the Aosk Palace in Dadal Borovo, some 300Km away. It feeds some other places along the way and spawns a network of minor aqueducts, but its main purpose is to provide the Aosk (the Dalaquian emperor) with water from the mountains around Lun, the birthplace of this civilization. It was built some decades after they captured Dadal Borovo (already a major city) and transfered their capital there. Truth is, the great acqueduct is more a display of might than it is a necessary thing. The palace could easily be supplied with water from the rock it stands on.

Thanks for the comments, guys! :D

anstett
10-31-2012, 11:57 AM
Coming to this a bit late but one comment on the perspective view.

The pathway up the cliff side seems to be a bit too steep. I think it either needs more switch backs or some hatching perhaps to indicate that it is actually stairs rather than a flat roadway.

Both maps are very well done they do show the feel of the city. I can imagine running several stories there.

BOB

Lyandra
10-31-2012, 03:29 PM
Thanks for the explanation. It was also nice to hear a bit of the story of your world with it. ;)