PDA

View Full Version : October/November 2012 Lite Challenge Entry: Haitari River

Lyandra
10-27-2012, 07:12 PM
Well, I have decided to enter this challenge hoping that it will help me to finally finish something. That is one of my main problems when it comes to drawing maps (not only...)... I never finish them. Upon delurking and stating my silly problem I was given a simple solution by jfrazierjr:

Best advice, join some challenges and complete them.

It's been months and I haven't posted anything. I guess it is time to finally do as I was told. :P

About my entry.
The latest wip is just a placeholder. A quick sketch to make it impossible for me not to enter the contest. :D What I would like to map is the area around Haitari River that is part of the world I am currently exploring. The style I am looking to recreate (or just get inspired by) comes from this old map:

I hope that I will achieve my main goal here and finish this project before the deadline. :) I will try to post wips as often as possible to get your feedback and motivate myself to keep going, please be patient with me. ;) I tend to do everything at the last moment - another of my many shortcomings that I am trying to get rid off. :oops:

### LATEST WIP ###

Schwarzkreuz
10-30-2012, 08:09 PM
Here comes a little help by the side. I have created a Pattern for you to used in Photoshop, (i hope you are using PS?)
It contains a nearly seamless linework which can be used to create patterns of old Prints, like the shadows of the paperrolls. Have fun with it!

(This image is just an example how to use and combine the lines in a multiply layer)

Lyandra
10-31-2012, 02:22 AM
Wow, thanks! Yes, I'm using PS. I will play with the pattern over the weekend. :D

amberroberts09
10-31-2012, 06:09 AM
Wow amazing!!!

timallen
10-31-2012, 10:03 AM
That does look pretty kool. Mind if I snag it too?

Lyandra
10-31-2012, 02:23 PM
Schwarzkreuz has provided it for everyone in his awesome thread [Brushes & Other Tools] Schwarzkreuz Map-Elements Collection (http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/19431-%5Bbrushes-other-tools%5D-schwarzkreuz-map-elements-collection-3.html) :) So of course you are free to snag it! :P

Lyandra
11-15-2012, 02:36 PM
So.... Obviously I won't finish my project before the deadline. :( I guess I will have to enter another challenge to work on my "not-finishing-any-maps" issue. :P

To show that I haven't done nothing here is a little update:

### LATEST WIP ###

Lyandra
11-15-2012, 02:43 PM
After the challenge ends I plan to create a WIP thread for this map and actually finish it. ;) So all comments/critique are much appreciated. There are still many things I have to work on: shadows, symbols for various places/terrain features, labels, cartouche, etc., etc. To sum it up, I have to work on everything. :P One other reason why I have attached the wip was because I thought it would look better than my rough initial sketch, heh ^^

jtougas
11-15-2012, 04:52 PM
That looks very good. It's an interesting project and I'm glad you decided to keep working on it. I'm excited to see the progress you make. :)

Larb
11-15-2012, 05:26 PM
A shame you won't finish it in time as it's looking promising. I've not had the time to enter this contest because of NaNoWriMo. I was hoping to do one of these style maps.

Lyandra
11-15-2012, 05:54 PM
Thanks for the encouraging words! :) I really enjoyed working on this project so I am determined to finish it. ^^

Another small update:

### LATEST WIP ###

Lyandra
11-15-2012, 07:10 PM
Some work on the shadows. Still not satisfied with them...

### LATEST WIP ###

jtougas
11-15-2012, 07:19 PM
The cartouche is amazing !! :)

Lyandra
11-15-2012, 07:21 PM
I would like to thank several people without whom this map would not be possible: :)
Coyotemax for wonderful paper textures (http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/7564-make-your-own-aged-paper-textures.html), Djekspek for his great step-by-step tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/16881-%5Baward-winner%5D-step-step-tutorials.html)detailing how to make an amazing looking compass rose and last but not least I want to thank Schwarzkreuz for his awesome pattern (http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/19431-%5Bbrushes-other-tools%5D-schwarzkreuz-map-elements-collection-3.html) (which you can btw find on the first page of this thread), the compass rose grid (http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/19431-%5Bbrushes-other-tools%5D-schwarzkreuz-map-elements-collection-3.html) (with its help making a compass rose was quick and easy) and finally for his advise concerning Photoshop to which I am almost a total newbie. Again, thanks everyone! :D

Lyandra
11-15-2012, 07:23 PM
Thanks jtougas! :)

Bogie
11-15-2012, 09:48 PM
Excellent work!

Lyandra
11-16-2012, 11:51 AM
Thanks Bogie! :)

Lyandra
11-16-2012, 11:54 AM
Some colour added.

### LATEST WIP ###

Lyandra
11-16-2012, 12:08 PM
A lighter version.

### LATEST WIP ###

Larb
11-16-2012, 12:59 PM
That's looking pretty amazing. Are you working from another reference map for the river or are you just creating it as you go along?

Lyandra
11-16-2012, 01:56 PM
Thanks Larb! :) I have had part of a river drawn on another map and then I just expanded it to get to its source in the mountains. If I would have drawn it in parts as I went along I do not think I would be able to place correctly the compass roses and the river would certainly be less windy (to make it easier on myself ^^). I had to cut it in so many places it looks really wierd. :P I would certainly do it a bit different next time after this experience. :)

Here comes another WIP. The blank space is meant for an overview of the river as a whole, to make the map easier to read (I had to cut the river in too many places...).

### LATEST WIP ###

Diamond
11-16-2012, 11:11 PM
This is really well done. I hope you do finish it; it'd be a shame to let it die on the vine...

Lyandra
11-17-2012, 06:16 PM
Thanks Diamond. :) I really hope I will manage to finish it.

Lyandra
11-17-2012, 06:19 PM
Small update.

### LATEST WIP ###

Larb
11-17-2012, 07:10 PM
Ahh, that last bit is enlightening. Really helps tie the whole thing together.

arsheesh
11-17-2012, 07:22 PM
Ooh, I like this. Yeah this would be worth finishing even if only to have in your portfolio. Great work.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Schwarzkreuz
11-18-2012, 03:24 AM
Realy nice progress! I like the feel of the overall piece, its well done.

Lyandra
11-18-2012, 06:19 AM
Thanks for the comments! Receiving so much positive feedback really keeps me going. :)

Lyandra
11-18-2012, 06:22 AM
A minor correction.

### LATEST WIP ###