PDA

View Full Version : North Kingdom - new coming

pasis
10-29-2012, 04:24 PM
This is a second take to this unfinished project. I haven't touched this in 6 months, but now decided to finish it, I hope the inspiration lasts. Both of the attached images are low res, but gives the idea how it looks at the moment.

Djekspek
10-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Great to see you're picking this up again! Loved it so far already. Cheers, dj

Clercon
10-30-2012, 04:16 AM
Great to see you continuing on this, I really like the map and what you have done so far. looking forward to see the finished result.

arsheesh
10-30-2012, 07:18 PM
I agree with DJ and Clercon, I am looking forward to seeing this completed.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

jtougas
10-30-2012, 07:59 PM
That looks great. Looking forward to watching this progress :)

Schwarzkreuz
10-30-2012, 08:41 PM
Stunning Texturework! How did you do the Mountains? That are some of the best I ever saw in this kind of maps!

pasis
10-31-2012, 12:28 PM
Thanks guys for taking me back with open arms.
Schwarzkreuz: here are the links to the tutorials I have written some time ago explaining few heighmap methods.

http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/4405-%5Baward-winner%5D-rising-up-mountains-photoshop.html
http://www.cartographersguild.com/tutorials-how/16688-bumpmaps-photoshop-quick-guide.html

pasis
10-31-2012, 04:18 PM
Here is the latest status. Added some more forest, ground textures and details.

jtougas
10-31-2012, 05:04 PM
This map (and the tutorial) actually inspired me to download a trial version of PS CS6 so that I could (hopefully) convert it to GIMP. Amazing work :)

arsheesh
10-31-2012, 06:19 PM
This map (and the tutorial) actually inspired me to download a trial version of PS CS6 so that I could (hopefully) convert it to GIMP. Amazing work :)

If you manage to do that JT, I will be uber-impressed. I've attempted converting the techniques in Pasis (and Tear's) tutorials to GIMP on sever occasions with no luck.

@Pasis, this looks amazing!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

jtougas
10-31-2012, 06:28 PM
If you manage to do that JT, I will be uber-impressed. I've attempted converting the techniques in Pasis (and Tear's) tutorials to GIMP on sever occasions with no luck.

@Pasis, this looks amazing!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

I'm going to ATTEMPT it... :) I think the main problem is that you cannot apply layer styles to a blank layer in GIMP. I'm trying to come up with a work around of that problem. (sorry to jack the thread. :) )

pasis
11-06-2012, 02:52 PM
I have been adding some more forest and created a punch of new textures to be used to add more life to the ground. Tweaking the textures and getting their color schemes right has been a challenge. Here is a bit higher resolution sample of the whole map. Next I will move on to the west coast to create some vegetation.

Carbus
11-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Its fantastic!! Great Job Pasis, I really love the way the texture mix together, its something I was never good, do you mind telling how you do that?? The mountains, trees and even the towns all blend together nicely.
Also I think I spotted an easter egg ( there is a skull shaped isle in the northwest of the map, am I right?? )
Keep up the good work and +rep for you sir!

pasis
11-07-2012, 02:06 AM
@Carbus: yes there is an easter egg put in there, well spotted. It will become harder to spot when I add the ground textures etc. I can make a one page quick quide later today on how I work with the textures.

Commander Freddy
11-07-2012, 03:34 AM
I absolutely adore this map, the detail is just incredible and the terrain itself is truly beautiful. I eagerly await more development of the map! :)

Chashio
11-07-2012, 02:08 PM
That is stunning! I am definitely going to have to look over these tutorials and texture guide you mentioned. =D

pasis
11-07-2012, 02:47 PM
Here is a quick quide I promised earlier on the method I use to work with the various textures. It doesn't cover all the aspects, but should get you started.

jtougas
11-07-2012, 02:58 PM
Excellent !! thanks for taking the time to put that together for us. :)

Carbus
11-07-2012, 03:19 PM
Thats great pasis! Thanks a lot! maybe know my textures blending will work :P

arsheesh
11-07-2012, 03:26 PM
This is coming together beautifully, and thanks for the walk-through!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

priggs
11-07-2012, 07:31 PM
That's sweet!

What I like best are the flat spaces between mountains. Here in Colorado call them parks, South Park being the most well known.

Your river looks gorgeous against the green, the spiral islands look really cool.

The hogbacks in the center bottom are things not often used in maps. You did a great job on them.

Fantastic job!

pasis
11-10-2012, 08:19 AM
Thnaks you guys for all the kind comments. I have now been practising on creating swaps that have always been hard for me. Here is what I managed to do. Give me your opinion what do you think as I made so many trials and errors that I'm not sure anymore.

Edit: Now that I look at it, at least the rivermouth needs work (should be wider and with softer riverbanks)...

jtougas
11-10-2012, 10:14 AM
Looks really good. I'd agree with you on the river mouth.

pasis
11-10-2012, 04:12 PM
Fixed the rivermouth and will finish up the forests, add details and move on...

pasis
11-18-2012, 12:01 PM
Tweaked the sea, added few marsches, a lot of forest and some ground details.

Clercon
11-18-2012, 01:07 PM
What is there to say that hasn't been said about this map, absolutely fantastic! Looking forward to see the finished result.

pasis
11-18-2012, 02:36 PM
Experimenting with new tecnigues to create badlands type of scenery. I'm happy with the outcome, but I need to find a better way to do it as this is taking too long to produce...

BISHDP
11-20-2012, 08:57 AM
This map is amazing. The style is beautiful and very realistic looking. I truely hope JT can convert the tutorial to GIMP as I would love to try my hand at this style. Well done.

Harrg
11-22-2012, 06:33 AM
it`s epical map! I love it, especially your forest, swamp and mountains. Will you make more lakes and rivers, roads, may be cave, snowen forest?
PS can you give me textures that you use, especially forest texture?

pasis
11-22-2012, 07:37 AM
Sure. I will attach the main textures I have been using, but I'm traveling and won't be able to do it until Saturnday.

Kier
11-22-2012, 10:30 AM
Sick. Amazing map, looks like a satellite photo. Mountains are breathtaking. River and forests so natural.

pasis
11-24-2012, 07:44 AM
Here is the 10 main textures I have used. I have used some others too and made different variations out from these ones. I hope these will come handy...

Vellum
11-24-2012, 04:42 PM
Nice looking maps Pasis, as usual from surfing your previous stuff :) Thanks for the tiles, gives us something to play with!!

Caenwyr
11-26-2012, 06:12 AM
This map is insane! I love the striated look of the lowlands, as if some massive glacier passed over it!

One small remark though: why aren't the rivers following those striations, since they obviously only appeared once the glacier had retreated? Or is there another explanation for those linear ridges?

Whatever your answer, I'm absolutely in love with this map. My compliments!

pasis
11-26-2012, 02:50 PM
The linear ridges are indeed traces of retreating glacier. I was not able to produce them exactly as I wanted, so I had to make a compromise with the river paths. Rivers follow the ridges in few cases and in others I tried to avoid too much violation and made them to follow natural path.

Here is the latest WIP. Slowly getting to the point where I can start adding cities etc.

Lyandra
11-29-2012, 11:51 AM
This map is wonderful! Amazing! Awesome! ... What else can I say? ;)

When I look at it I can imagine myself being there, and that is what I love to experience while looking at maps. Thank you for making it possible! I like every aspect of this work of art and am really glad that you have decided to finish it.

Schwarzkreuz
12-05-2012, 06:57 AM
Your technic of Textures is awesome, I have to be carefull not to inflational using the Like Button on you! Haha.

pasis
12-08-2012, 01:34 PM
Major cities and roads added. I'm almost done with the ground textures, forests etc., but there are still areas that I'm not totally satisfied. I'm having problems producing open grasslands and I'm going back and forth with various options for some time already. But anyways, here the latest...

...and thank you for all the comments...

Lalaithion
12-09-2012, 02:42 AM
Any chance I could get this without the cities? There'a a campaign I'm about to start that could use a map like this. (the entire world is nomadic, so cities would make no sense in this world) Totally up to you, of course.

pasis
12-09-2012, 03:44 AM
Sure, here is a version without civilization. I had removed the forest from underneath the roads and now that the roads are gone, you can still see the paths. So you might need to retouch this map abit to fix it.

Ramah
12-09-2012, 04:52 AM
As always, Pasis, your texture work is phenomenal. Great stuff, man. :)

pasis
12-10-2012, 01:56 AM
Thanks Ramah. It is always nice to get a compliment from one of the best :)

LonewandererD
12-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Pasis, again my jaw is brusied from hitting the keyboard. Is there a special process you use for forest placement because my way never looks as natural as that.

-D-

Jaxilon
12-10-2012, 11:21 AM
Awesome and thanks or sharing your textures. I shall attempt to put them to some good use :)

Lyandra
12-17-2012, 07:06 PM
Beautiful! :D

Silverwave
12-23-2012, 04:34 PM
This map is wonderful!

I'm gonna use this map for my upcoming Fate Core campaign (if you don't mind!). I'd love to see what setting you had in mind when you drew this map if such information exist!

Also, I'm french speaker so I was wondering if the .psd was available (or a version without any names on it) so I can transcribe the names, for example "Whitemist" would become "Blanchebrise" or "Blanchebrume" in french.

Thanks a lot!

rjames112
01-01-2013, 12:06 PM
I would love to see a progress based on your steps.

The Full Monty
01-03-2013, 03:11 PM
I'm pretty sure I've said it on your tutorial posting, but thank you! Your help and beautiful map have set me in the right direction to meet the vision I have for my own maps.

I'm not sure what a "swap" is, but your 2nd map is much better imo but that is based on personal opinion only. As you state the river needs a wiser mouth and one of the mountains looks dulled on the Western side.

Edit: I'm not sure if my textures are seamless but I have managed to get importing the textures down. Apparently the new dynamic system that replaced it was giving me some issues but I think I'm all good. I may have more problems as I move forward but reading ahead in the tutorial I see that things are explained in detail more later on.

pasis
01-04-2013, 01:53 AM
Attached is the finished version (in low resolution and without labeling). Full res version can be found from finished maps section:

www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/21445-glassfall-north-kingdom.html

- Max -
01-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Great map!