PDA

View Full Version : WIP: The Golden Elk; Warship.

Simon33600
11-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Ok, time for another battlemap...

This is the WIP for the Golden Elk, the ship of the pirate I mentioned in the thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/20540-marrowdrinkers-warehouse.html) concerning my previous map...

The golden Elk is supposed to be a big bireme. It's two masted, but the hull will contain some rowing benches for maneuverability against the wind...

The central portion of the hull is actually deeper, leading to the lower line of rowers... (the stairs are still to be added).

The deck harbour quite a few weapons, found (as I needn't precise for the one that have seen any of my previous maps) on the dundjinni forums (http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/forum_topics.asp?FID=8&PN=0).

Anyway, as always, advice and criticisms are welcome.

Thanks!

jtougas
11-02-2012, 02:05 PM
Looks pretty good. ( I am actually just beginning a ship of my own for the Calan Stonebridge Series) and I have never done one in this style so I'll be watching. The only thing I have at the moment is that the ship almost looks "flat" the deck rails seem very low this could be by design and if so please ignore my comment. :)

Simon33600
11-02-2012, 04:57 PM
Nope, it's not by design...

How would you go to fix it? Cast longer shadows?

jtougas
11-02-2012, 06:59 PM
longer and darker might do the trick :)

Simon33600
11-02-2012, 07:18 PM
Ok, let's try again...

I did increase the size of the railling shadows...

I did not have much time to work on the hull unfortunately, but here is what it looks like:

Hopefully, I can get it into working shape for tomorrow's game...

jtougas
11-02-2012, 07:45 PM
That looks very good :)

Simon33600
11-02-2012, 08:05 PM
That looks very good :)

Thanks.

I still have to add a couple of stuff on top of the forecastle (not shown), and the furniture within the hull. I am trying to keep the ship uncluttered as much as I can...

jtougas
11-02-2012, 08:12 PM
Your players a re very lucky that you make these wonderful maps for them. I make all these maps and haven't played a RPG in about 6 years :)

Simon33600
11-03-2012, 05:13 AM
Thanks.
Honestly, I do the map, mostly, because I enjoy it and like to always learn new things. This is a good way, at least an entertaining, way to get more familiar with GIMP.

In fact, in my opinion, the main advantage of pre-made battlemaps is that it save time around the gaming, not having to slow down the action for drawing. In turn, this allows me to use fancier, more complex shapes and not have to worry about drawing them... But, the "prettified" version is not necessary for that, it is truly for my own enjoyment...

jtougas
11-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Thanks.
Honestly, I do the map, mostly, because I enjoy it and like to always learn new things. This is a good way, at least an entertaining, way to get more familiar with GIMP.

In fact, in my opinion, the main advantage of pre-made battlemaps is that it save time around the gaming, not having to slow down the action for drawing. In turn, this allows me to use fancier, more complex shapes and not have to worry about drawing them... But, the "prettified" version is not necessary for that, it is truly for my own enjoyment...

That is very true. :) I was thinking about it and shouldn't a ship named "The Golden Elk" have an elk for a figurehead? Either way it's really a great map :)

Simon33600
11-03-2012, 06:24 PM
Ok; here is the version I ended up printing...

The Forecastle:

The Deck:

The Hull with the rowing benches:

Anyway, let me know if anything needs fixing, if not, I'll transit it to the 'Finished' section as I would like to start building myself a small galleries with my finished maps...

I was a bit pressed on time, because I wanted the maps ready for today's game (although, my players ended up taking a side quest and the map did stay in their folder) but, it's pretty good.
I guess I could have added more details to the ship, especially JTougas' winches that I just spotted over on this thread (http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/20257-j-tougass-mapping-elements-3.html#post199668)... And I might still do it, later...

Simon33600
11-03-2012, 06:39 PM
That is very true. :) I was thinking about it and shouldn't a ship named "The Golden Elk" have an elk for a figurehead? Either way it's really a great map :)

Fair enough...
I choose the name "Golden Elk" as a homage on the real "Golden Hind" before starting to work on the map.
I was about halfway through the map when I stumbled on various figure heads on the Dundjinni forums, all too good to pass on... (you'll notice the first picture i posted did not have a figure head, it is because I had not found it yet...).

I do not think I gave my players the name of the ship yet. All that they know is that they were hired to stop a pirate from preying on the water around Waterdeep and that a trader in Luskan (a city known for haroburing pirates) have recently sold quite a few Waterdhavian goods...
I can still change the name of the ship into something mentioning Dragon. On the other hands... I may keep it (the ship my players are sailling with is called the "pantless dragonfly" on none of them even asked why...).

jtougas
11-03-2012, 07:51 PM
Fair enough...
I choose the name "Golden Elk" as a homage on the real "Golden Hind" before starting to work on the map.
I was about halfway through the map when I stumbled on various figure heads on the Dundjinni forums, all too good to pass on... (you'll notice the first picture i posted did not have a figure head, it is because I had not found it yet...).

I do not think I gave my players the name of the ship yet. All that they know is that they were hired to stop a pirate from preying on the water around Waterdeep and that a trader in Luskan (a city known for haroburing pirates) have recently sold quite a few Waterdhavian goods...
I can still change the name of the ship into something mentioning Dragon. On the other hands... I may keep it (the ship my players are sailling with is called the "pantless dragonfly" on none of them even asked why...).

Either way it's a great map and a great platform for adventure. And you HAVE to do a map of the "Pantless Dragonfly" that is the BEST name for a ship I have EVER heard.... :)

Simon33600
11-03-2012, 08:17 PM
Thanks again...

Well, the pantless is based on a map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/building-structure-mapping/15522-little-sloop.html#post161277) I published a while ago (one of my earliest efforts).

But I did rework it a bit since... Here it is (maybe I should start its own thread):

I must have screwed up the dimensions in some ways, as I am having all sort of trouble printing it to scale. Also, I wanted to fit everything on a double sized paper, but the result is a bit too compressed... I'll need to bit the bullet and look into that.