PDA

View Full Version : Transitioning between land and snow?

J.A.C
11-03-2012, 11:56 AM
Hi, this is my first post on the site, but I've been using the tutorial forum for a while now. Have to thank RobA for his amazing tutorial on artistic maps, it helps create such a better atmosphere to have an artsy map for my DnD players.

I have a question, which is why i'm posting here.

I'm currently mapping an entire continent in sections because not all of it is necessary and it's easier to do in sections. However a problem with this is that the northern part of the continent is snow and ice, while the southern part is not. In one particular section, there has to be a transition.

How can I seamlessly transition between land and snow? I had some thoughts about possibly using a gradient and a noise/bump map like in RobA's tutorial. But I need the texture to increase as you go northwards on the map because of snows melting rate the further south. I can only get the texture to remain consistent.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance.
JC

Chashio
11-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Theoretically, meaning I've never tried it as my style's a bit different... You may be able to use a bump/noise layer with a layer mask to soften/erase the texture where you don't want it. Just a guess, might not work.

J.A.C
11-03-2012, 11:55 PM
Theoretically, meaning I've never tried it as my style's a bit different... You may be able to use a bump/noise layer with a layer mask to soften/erase the texture where you don't want it. Just a guess, might not work.

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll try it out.

J.A.C
11-04-2012, 06:12 AM
Thankyou so much for your suggestion Chashio, it worked perfectly, with a little fiddling around.

Step by step;

1. I did the dirt layer as normal.
2. Created a snow mask channel.
3. Created the texture and bump mapped.
4. Add the layer mask and then blur the mask.
5. Repeat step 4 2-3 more times depending on how smooth you want the transition.
6. Apply a final layer mask of the snow channel to cut the edges off.

Texturing isn't perfect and the map is a little basic for now (it's nowhere near finished, just wanted to show the final product of the snow).

Thanks again :)

Chashio
11-04-2012, 12:04 PM
You're welcome. I'm glad it worked out!

jtougas
11-04-2012, 01:03 PM
That looks really good :)

RobA
11-04-2012, 02:32 PM
Late to the game here. I like to use the spread filter gimp has to get a snow edge. This makes the white "taper off" in a clumping manner, rather than fade.

Similarly, you could set your snow layer to the "dissolve " blend mode if you already have a transparency fade...

-RobA>

J.A.C
11-06-2012, 03:41 AM
That looks really good :)

Late to the game here. I like to use the spread filter gimp has to get a snow edge. This makes the white "taper off" in a clumping manner, rather than fade.

Similarly, you could set your snow layer to the "dissolve " blend mode if you already have a transparency fade...

-RobA>

ooo ok. Thanks RobA, i'll try that out and post the results here :)

amberroberts09
11-06-2012, 05:23 AM
Looks great!!