PDA

View Full Version : [Unpaid] Map for a Island

rossik
11-06-2012, 03:41 PM
Hi all!

I have this project of mine, a "pulp" island. Spider and scorpion folks, flying sharks, mutant psionic gorillas, brain in jars, fungi people, dinossaurs, etc.

It will be a free pdf, for a D&D like system. The artist will have his name and link credit when the final pdf got released.

i have done a poor sketch of it. I must confess i dont know how to "occupy" it better. i mean, theres a lot of empy spaces :(

the montain range at left have the aracno people.
the north forest have the gorilla.
the right montains have the goblin flying sharks
the vulcan have the brain in jars

outside the isle, we have 3 minor isles at right: one with mountain, 3 little ones with ice, and ne with forest. the right side have a lonely one, just plain (dont know what to do with it...maybe a dead isle, with dead trees and grass, and some undead.

So, anyone up to help?

kestrelgrey
11-06-2012, 06:24 PM
Hey - cool idea! I've been seeing a lot of "serious" stuff, and it's great to see something this "out there". I like you're ideas - flying sharks are a great idea ^_^ I'd love to help out in any way I can, but a couple questions:
1) what style are you looking for? Smooth/clean vector? Sepia-tones? Old-style? Hand-drawn? 3D? Maybe post an example map in the style(s) you're interested in.
2) do you want sketches of the different encounter types shown on the map?
3) do you have names for this stuff already, or do you mind if I throw a couple on there?
4) how "serious" is this is? Are you looking to do something in the line of Conan, or more like Terry Pratchett? That can affect the names (the difference between Draggydska and DragonSpike, I guess)

Sounds like this could be really interesting! Oh, you said "D&D-like" - what system are you using? Or are you designing it?

So many questions! But I hope I can help!

rossik
11-07-2012, 08:23 AM
thanks kestrelgrey! thats great!

im using "Old Dragon", the first old school inspired RPG created here in Brazil. i dont have a style for the map, but i love AD&D style of maps. its suppose to be a lost island, and any DM can fit it in their campaign. i prefer not 3D, but have no restrictions for the rest.

i have only a couple of names:

the isle is called "Harmak" (A Ilha Perdida de Harmal).
the gorilla forest is called "Gorilur", and the spider/scorpion guys mountain range is called "Harakpaktcha". thats the only name for places i have now, heheh, but would love any help, and the names in the map would be awesome! please contribute as you feel like.

I prefer only this "general" map, and not individual for the diferent types of enconter

any help would be great!

thanks in advance

rafael

(oh, just in case you want to check, im blogging parts of it. the final result would be a pdf, free. a friend is doing some of the art: http://moostache.com.br/gorilur-a-floresta-dos-gorilas-de-sangue/
http://moostache.com.br/harakpaktcha/

kestrelgrey
11-12-2012, 08:46 AM
Hey - sorry it took so long to get back to you, it's been crazy busy here. Anyway, I did a quick first pass on the map, and wanted to post it up and get your opinion. Labeled the map, forest, and mountain range already, and put it on a piece of parchment just to see the effect. I can remove that really easily without changing the look of the map at all. If there are any changes you want me to make, new labels, whatever, just let me know. Everything's editable, and I have the PSD file if you want to work with it yourself. Here's the full-size image as a JPEG:

I worked pretty large - the map is about 8"x11", at 300 dpi. I've posted it at full size, but it's a little rough when you zoom in to full size on the screen.

rossik
11-12-2012, 05:00 PM
WOW!
aweomse work!!

Love the scroll effect! its perfect \o

one thing: i mispelled "Harmak" for Harkmal. the correct is "Harmak"
next to the T or C of HArakpaktcha, theres a river coming out of the moutain. i painted it with a very light blue, so it may had passed unoticed.
also, the 3 little islad are snow covered

please moderation, mark this as taken :D

im loving the work, thank you so much!

kestrelgrey
11-13-2012, 05:34 AM
Thanks! - I'll get that stuff fixed up real soon. Just wanted to say thanks, and to let you know I'll be working on it as soon as I can ^_^ Anything else you think of, just let me know.

GenoWrites
11-13-2012, 04:06 PM
Kestrelgrey,

I really like this map. I understand it's rough, but even rough... I like it. Looking forward to seeing the completed map. (may be a super newb question, but how'd you do the water ripples?)

And, Rossik, I love the fun nature of your ideas. Great job.

Korash
11-13-2012, 07:02 PM
@ Geno - I believe you can do that by using the Land Mask to Selection, grow selection a few pixels, stroke selection, and repeat a few times...

GenoWrites
11-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Awesome. Thanks Korash!

kestrelgrey
11-16-2012, 01:51 AM
Hey,
here's the corrected/fixed map! Hope it looks alright. Anything else you need, just let me know ^-^

@GenoWrites: Korash is right, although I just use the magic wand tool in PS to select the area around the terrain, and then use Select > contract (Select > expand, if I select the terrain instead of the water). Then I use Edit > Stroke; for the ocean water ripples, I think I used 3-5 px strokes, but for smaller bodies of water I drop down to 1-2 px. Then I blurred it a little, dropped the opacity, and set it to multiply.

rossik
11-16-2012, 04:07 AM
wow, i have no words! its amazing!
you are very skillfull :D

now, can you sugest me something to put in the "middle", between the volcano and Gorilur? theres a "blank" spot there, and i cant figure it out :(

kestrelgrey
11-17-2012, 06:38 AM
Well, the volcano could have erupted at some point - if it was recent, you could have a sort of desert/wasteland, or if it was a long time ago that area could be really fertile so there could be fields maybe? Or, with mountains on either side like that water could drain down into that area and there could be a marsh or swamp. That could make sense with the lake there. Or at least marsh/swamp around the lake maybe? And fields further out? Not sure if people live there, like in a village or something? If it's just a 'wilderness' it could be grassland.

rossik
11-17-2012, 07:14 AM
the marsh swamp is a great idea! can you do it?

kestrelgrey
11-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Sure - I've got some time tonight, I'll see what I can put together ^-^

kestrelgrey
11-20-2012, 01:26 AM
Alright, here's the updated map. I can increase the size of the marsh/swamp if you like.

Anything else you need, just let me know ^-^

rossik
11-20-2012, 11:34 AM
yes, this is it! very cool :D

could you increase the swamp just a little?

also, i have the names for the volcano (Monte Yulcan) and the other moutain reach (Selaqi). The swamp region is called "B'argul"

kestrelgrey
11-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Hey Rossik, finally got some time to fix up the map, and here it is. I just extended the swamp out from the mountains around the lake in all directions; I can edit it any way you want, though.

*NOTE: the font I'm using (Benegraphic) makes the 'q' in 'Selaqi' look a bit like a 'g'; I could try a different font that's similar, if you'd like.

Here are some font samples, just to show the difference:

rossik
11-24-2012, 06:33 PM
hi kestrelgrey!

the file is invalid ("Invalid Attachment specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator") :(

i think Caliph is very nice, and Brandywine have wide letters....well, its up to you and your artistic feeling ;) bouth are good to me

kestrelgrey
11-24-2012, 08:53 PM
Sorry about that - I got logged out while typing up the post and it must have messed up the link. I've uploaded the map to my art blog just to show people what I'm doing; here is (hopefully):

rossik
11-25-2012, 02:51 PM
by the gods!
thats awesome, thanks so much!

just one final request, if possible: Selaqi name is a little too "spaced", could you write the letters a little closer one to another?

kestrelgrey
11-25-2012, 04:04 PM
No prob ^-^

Here's the fixed map, and I added a slight white border around the letters to make them more legible.

rossik
11-25-2012, 06:51 PM
well, thats perfect. have no words to thank you enough :D

maybe you could tell me your site, deviant or anything, so i can tell people about your work

kestrelgrey
11-29-2012, 02:09 AM
Wow, thanks! Right now I'm just on wordpress - 99coloredumbrellas.wordpress.com
I posted your map and another I'm working on; I hope that was okay. I try to update every week.

Thanks for liking the map so much! If you ever need anything else, let me know ^-^