PDA

View Full Version : Grenwalle

Bohunk
05-22-2008, 08:03 PM
Decided to finish this map with a compass rose and a scale. I toned down the texture and put some "ridges," I guess you would call them, near the mountains. I would have liked to put more detail on this map if I cared enough about it. This map started out as a learning module for me on Elements so it wasn't on the "spend a lot of time on it" list.

Thanks to those who helped and commented in the WIP.

WIP

RobA
05-22-2008, 09:26 PM
I know in the WIP thread you said the coastline was FT.

Was it straight noise generation, or did you tweak it? I'd love to get such a nice coastline using PS or GIMP noise generation...

-Rob A>

Bohunk
05-22-2008, 11:10 PM
Actually no real tweaking, just a reversal from sea to land. I used the same process for Ystraad. To me it gives more realistic coastlines, or at least the same type of coastlines found around Scotland. It gives me some firths!

Rigid multifractual
Roughness .74
land size 5.23

let me know if I forgot something

Sirith
05-23-2008, 09:37 AM
Nice. I saw the WIP thread (though I didn't comment) and I find the way you combined the highly textured version and the one with the muted colours very nice :)

su_liam
05-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Scotland, eh?

I was thinking Greece. Probably because of the orientation and the impression I feel that it's attached to a larger continent in the north.

Bohunk
05-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Scotland, eh?

I was thinking Greece. Probably because of the orientation and the impression I feel that it's attached to a larger continent in the north.

Certainly, however I'm talking of the style of coastline. Although I could not acheive it here, I wanted the style from the west coast of scotland with its many inlets, whereas Greece, although rough, has a somewhat less jagged coastline.

Arkkeeper
05-23-2008, 07:05 PM
*cue fake outraged emotion* oh I see You Cheated. well now Your Maps are not as amazing as I said they were, Hmph *end emotion*

Now there still cool but I would like to see if it was actually possible for someone to "hand do" coastlines like that.