PDA

View Full Version : Playing with random coastal techniques

RobA
05-22-2008, 10:31 PM
I have been working at getting nicer looking coastlines in GIMP.

Here is my latest experiment:

This consisted of a lower layer started with high detail rendered clouds, then high level detailed random difference clouds applied about 4 times.

Next layer up is rendered cloud, large scale, high detail. I kept changing the seed until I found a preview that had the shape I wanted. Set this mode to screen.

Top layer (my three-layer-sandwich standard technique for non-destructive coastline generation) is 50% grey set to lighten mode.

I went back and adjusted the middle layer levels to control the coast position and number of islands..

Select by colour (merged levels) and save selection to a channel.

I find the coast to be deliciously detailed, and there was absolutely no touch-up, I would think this is nice looking large continent scale....opinions?

(I might have to script this technique...since I like the results)

-Rob A>

MadLetter
05-23-2008, 05:30 AM
Looks really nice.

Would like to do that in Photoshop... ;)

ravells
05-23-2008, 05:33 AM
Definitely looks great. Did you start with a feathered white blob as you did with the 'not so random coastline' tutorial?

Bohunk
05-23-2008, 07:13 AM
I like it, its got a good feel to it. Would it be possible to put this coastline and a somewhat smoother coastline on the same map without too much difficulty?

RobA
05-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Definitely looks great. Did you start with a feathered white blob as you did with the 'not so random coastline' tutorial?

Would it be possible to put this coastline and a somewhat smoother coastline on the same map without too much difficulty?

D'oh! Why didn't I think of that?

(you don't quite get the same effect with a blurred shape, but...)

Bottom Layer (same as previous example):

Middle Layer (Screen Blending Mode):

Top layer 50 % grey (Lighten Blending mode):

After selecting the 50% grey with 0 tolerance using the colour select tool, and copying selection to a channel:

Variable randomness coast, based on a blurred shape:

Might have to video this ;)

-Rob A>

jfrazierjr
05-23-2008, 09:41 PM
Might have to video this ;)

-Rob A>

Yes Yes Yes!!!!

RobA, you never cease to amaze.

Joe

DanChops
05-25-2008, 01:48 AM
This looks really phenomenal Rob. I look forward to the video. :)