PDA

View Full Version : WIP using RobA's GIMP Tutorial

Karro
05-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Okay... so the reason I'm here is because when I was searching the 'net for some tutorials on GIMP to help with my mapmaking, I happened across RobA's tutorial here on this site.

So, here are a couple basic maps I've started using this tutorial. I've gotten to the ocean creation step, so I've got WIPs of that, as well as edges of the land masses.

The ocean on my first round practicing
http://www.cartographersguild.com/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=123

The edge of the land mass
http://www.cartographersguild.com/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=122

The Ocean on my second round practicing
http://www.cartographersguild.com/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=125

The edge of the land mass
http://www.cartographersguild.com/picture.php?albumid=22&pictureid=124

Things I'm learning so far:

This is fun!
My poor laptop can barely handle this... the images are only 840x600 px but on the second one GIMP would hang up and not display the menus properly when I merge/wand selected a large area.
I'm learning layer blend types and various kinds of filters and how useful they can be.

One more thing... how do I post thumbnails like everyone else?

Midgardsormr
05-24-2008, 06:18 PM
There are two ways: When you begin a new message, you'll note there are lots of icons above the message area. To the right of the "smiley" is a paper clip icon. Click on that, and you'll get a pop-up box where you can upload your attachments. All attachments will appear as thumbnails if they're over a certain size.

The other way is to look below the message area under the Additional Options. The second box there has a button that says "Manage Attachment" and will open the same box as the paper clip icon does.

If you're editing a message and want to add attachments to it, you'll see a button right next to the Save button that says "Go Advanced." If you click that, you'll get a format that looks just like when you're posting a new message.

If you use the Quick Reply feature, you'll see a "Go Advanced" button there, too, which serves the same pupose as the one in the edit screen.

DanChops
05-25-2008, 01:35 AM
Looking good! I look forward to reading about your map as you work through the steps.

Karro
05-26-2008, 10:01 AM
There are two ways: When you begin a new message, you'll note there are lots of icons above the message area. To the right of the "smiley" is a paper clip icon. Click on that, and you'll get a pop-up box where you can upload your attachments. All attachments will appear as thumbnails if they're over a certain size.

The other way is to look below the message area under the Additional Options. The second box there has a button that says "Manage Attachment" and will open the same box as the paper clip icon does.

If you're editing a message and want to add attachments to it, you'll see a button right next to the Save button that says "Go Advanced." If you click that, you'll get a format that looks just like when you're posting a new message.

If you use the Quick Reply feature, you'll see a "Go Advanced" button there, too, which serves the same pupose as the one in the edit screen.

Thanks! I was hoping I wasn't breaking a rule by posting the whole image instead of just the thumbnail.

Looking good! I look forward to reading about your map as you work through the steps.

Thanks. So far, I'm really satisfied with the progress I'm making. I'm working on these two maps primarily as practice--neither is of anyplace in particular, and the shapes and designs are just a test to see how the random coast generation method RobA describes will interact with a more or less specific coastline shape.

I'm a little concerned how this is going to go once I try to apply it to the actual world map I've been trying to develop. I have a file I had started working on before discovering cartographer's guild, but at 7200x3600 pix, it's about 50X as large as these files, so I fear I may crash GIMP on my poor laptop entirely once I start using these techniques on it.... :(

DanChops
05-26-2008, 11:44 AM
Thanks. So far, I'm really satisfied with the progress I'm making. I'm working on these two maps primarily as practice--neither is of anyplace in particular, and the shapes and designs are just a test to see how the random coast generation method RobA describes will interact with a more or less specific coastline shape.

I understand exactly what you're saying. I'm doing the same thing (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2043), only I'm using a somewhat more recognizable coastline as my base. ;)

I'm a little concerned how this is going to go once I try to apply it to the actual world map I've been trying to develop. I have a file I had started working on before discovering cartographer's guild, but at 7200x3600 pix, it's about 50X as large as these files, so I fear I may crash GIMP on my poor laptop entirely once I start using these techniques on it.... :(
:!: That's huge! Mine is only 1100 x 800, and my (admittedly ancient) PC is struggling to keep up. Good luck!

Talroth
05-26-2008, 02:37 PM
When editing on older hardware, one tip that can work well is to do all your layer work on smallish sections (512x512), then flatten a copy and paste it into a single layered larger image for your final product. I'm not sure how GIMP handles its layers internally, but try this trick and see how it works for you.

RobA
05-27-2008, 01:22 AM
The other tip is to set your environment settings up correctly for your machine. I think the defaults are way too low.

I run on a AMD Turion64X2 with 2GB Ram. Here are my settings:

Tile Cache is the biggie, and set at 1/2 physical memory (but could go even higher depending on what else you do at the same time)

-Rob A>

Karro
05-27-2008, 09:33 AM
I understand exactly what you're saying. I'm doing the same thing (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2043), only I'm using a somewhat more recognizable coastline as my base. ;)

:!: That's huge! Mine is only 1100 x 800, and my (admittedly ancient) PC is struggling to keep up. Good luck!

Ah yes... It looks like the corner of Africa, the Arabian peninsula, and India. It's still recognizeable, but also still random. Hopefully, that was your goal?

But yes, the worldmap I started was quite large. I wanted to have a world map where I could change the overall zoom level (to focus on a region with a moderate amount of detail, instead of just a continent) with a minimum of fuss. I also wanted to maintain a few specific, long-standing geographic features that I had first drawn on maps of certain regions of this world when I was a kid (for no reason other than nostalgia). I guess there aren't many great reasons to keep it this way, but I hope I can still use this large map just the same.

Karro
05-27-2008, 09:43 AM
When editing on older hardware, one tip that can work well is to do all your layer work on smallish sections (512x512), then flatten a copy and paste it into a single layered larger image for your final product. I'm not sure how GIMP handles its layers internally, but try this trick and see how it works for you.

The other tip is to set your environment settings up correctly for your machine. I think the defaults are way too low.

I run on a AMD Turion64X2 with 2GB Ram. Here are my settings:

Tile Cache is the biggie, and set at 1/2 physical memory (but could go even higher depending on what else you do at the same time)

-Rob A>

Thanks for the pointers. My laptop isn't really all that old (it's a dual core pentium with, I think, 2 gig of RAM and a 512MB video card... but it's running Vista, so a lot of that gets sucked up by the OS; sadly the comp was a gift so I didn't have a choice in OSs), but it runs a little slow. I'll take a look at the environment settings today to try to make sure it's set up optimally.

I was thinking about cutting up the final product into chunks and see what I can do. It may not be easy, since the continents and island chains kind of make an interwoven mesh over much of the world map. I tried to make the continent placement look natural and organic.

Redrobes
05-27-2008, 02:21 PM
Even with Vista that ought to be easily enough to hold a large image. 7K x 3K is 80Mb or thereabouts in memory and even if you had 10 layers and some undo that would be only be about a 1Gb. Theres probably something else at play here like anti virus or something else thats thrashing your system. You should look at your processes and see how much CPU and memory they are all burning.

Karro
05-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Even with Vista that ought to be easily enough to hold a large image. 7K x 3K is 80Mb or thereabouts in memory and even if you had 10 layers and some undo that would be only be about a 1Gb. Theres probably something else at play here like anti virus or something else thats thrashing your system. You should look at your processes and see how much CPU and memory they are all burning.

Ah yes... antivirus... I didn't even think of that. Thanks!

I'll bet if I shut that down, at least while working on maps, that ought to help at least some.

Redrobes
05-27-2008, 03:15 PM
Maybe - try it by all means but its better to just know. Press ctrl alt del and get the task manager button and use that and look it up. Better yet is to use the sys internals version :-

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653.aspx

which has a little more info. Actually the whole sys internals suite is excellent but its a power users set of tools. The process viewer is pretty easy tho. It should just tell you who is burning all of your resources.

If it is an anti virus issue it will be with the file touched scan. Every time a file is read or written it scans it. Very slow - might not be worth it.

Karro
05-28-2008, 12:16 AM
A few additional WIP images.

Following RobA's technique as near as I can follow, I add the continent, improve the grass, and add dirt:

First layer of grass

Improved grass with textures

Dirt

Next up: I tackle mountains!

Thoughts?

One thing I notice: now that the land is down over the ocean, I see that the whispy white-blue coastal waters all moved to the right side. Is there any way to get it equally whispy on both sides?

RobA
05-28-2008, 01:20 AM
One thing I notice: now that the land is down over the ocean, I see that the whispy white-blue coastal waters all moved to the right side. Is there any way to get it equally whispy on both sides?

Think you missed a second displacement map, use the same seed and negate both the x and y you used the first time.

RE: virus scanning - you should be able to exclude real time scanning from the gimp.exe process, and the subdirectory that gimp used for caching. This should speed things up.

-Rob A>

Karro
05-28-2008, 10:11 AM
Think you missed a second displacement map, use the same seed and negate both the x and y you used the first time.

RE: virus scanning - you should be able to exclude real time scanning from the gimp.exe process, and the subdirectory that gimp used for caching. This should speed things up.

-Rob A>

I think you're right. I don't recall doing a second displacement map. I'll have to go back and see what I can do!

I'm going to need to develop some power user skills so I can better manage my antivirus and memory useage.

Karro
05-29-2008, 06:18 PM
So... I once I figured out how to properly use the Gradient tool, RobA's mountain tutorial was a cinch, and produces what I think are very good looking results.

My first try wasn't very great. It results from messing with the color curves a little too much on the B&W layer. Lesson learned.

The second time came out better looking thanks to better practice fiddling with the color curves.

Thoughts?

Karro
05-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Alright, so I tried out Mountains, Forests and Rivers on the second part of RobA's tutorial.

The first time trying mountains was a disaster.

The forests didn't come out super great, either. When I Auto>Normalized the colors, it turned the lighter greens into a gaudy neon color. Applying the bumpmap did nothing to change that. I played with the color settings and opacity to try to tone down the neon. Another problem is that the forest loses definition and texture toward the center of the large areas. I used the same noise (via copying the layer) as the grass bumpmap with a higher depth, so not sure what I did wrong...

Anyway, I deleted all the mountains, went back and tried again. I followed the basic tutorial as much as possible, but even by duplicating the mountain bumpmap layer, I couldn't get the same "pop" that RobA (and others) seem to get, nor the same variability in peak height.

Here's the second try:

Then, I decided to try out RobA's other Mountain Tutorial in the context of this map:

Then, for kicks and giggles, I combined the two. I allowed one of the two identical bumpmaps to overlay on top of the second mountain style:

Then I tried it with both duplicate bumpmaps on the second style:

Overall, I think I like the two combined, with only one extra bumpmap overlay, the most.

Didn't try redoing the forest yet, but started to try to carve out rivers. Issues: the forests completely cover the rivers in many places. I'll have to pick the brains of those who have figured out how to carve the rivers through the forests (and maybe later those who carve rivers through mountain canyons), and play with the rivers more to make them pop as well.

Also: I corrected the coastal waters issue that I had previously. RobA was right, I hadn't applied the second displacement map.

Midgardsormr
05-29-2008, 06:52 PM
I like those mountains; I think they're a big improvement over the standard tutorial results.

jfrazierjr
05-29-2008, 08:43 PM
Alright, so I tried out Mountains, Forests and Rivers on the second part of RobA's tutorial.

The first time trying mountains was a disaster.

Yea, my first couple of attempts came out crappy also. This is one of the reasons I started playing around with some other ways to do mountain fields. Think I finally have something I like....

The forests didn't come out super great, either. Try DanChops mini tut on this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2087 I really like the way this effect looks in the end. He needs to make a proper tutorial out of it.
[/QUOTE]

Anyway, I deleted all the mountains, went back and tried again. I followed the basic tutorial as much as possible, but even by duplicating the mountain bumpmap layer, I couldn't get the same "pop" that RobA (and others) seem to get, nor the same variability in peak height.

Here's the second try:

Then, I decided to try out RobA's other Mountain Tutorial in the context of this map:

Then, for kicks and giggles, I combined the two. I allowed one of the two identical bumpmaps to overlay on top of the second mountain style:

Then I tried it with both duplicate bumpmaps on the second style:

Overall, I think I like the two combined, with only one extra bumpmap overlay, the most. Yep, some of those look pretty good!

Didn't try redoing the forest yet, but started to try to carve out rivers. Issues: the forests completely cover the rivers in many places. I'll have to pick the brains of those who have figured out how to carve the rivers through the forests (and maybe later those who carve rivers through mountain canyons), and play with the rivers more to make them pop as well.

Select all your water (rivers and seas/oceans), create a layer mask (optional but recommended), run the bevel tool with 1-2 px. Make SURE you turn off the "make a copy" or whatever so you get it in the same layer. This will create that cut effect nicely. Then, apply the layer mask on whatever layers(forests, etc) and they all get cut out to make room for the river. Personally, I plan to play with adding ANOTHER forest layer with just a few small "bits" on top to cover the river in a few tiny places to better simulate real terrain.

Joe

torstan
05-30-2008, 05:45 AM
That's a great run through of the different mountain methods. The second o last is looking really nice.

RobA
05-30-2008, 10:19 AM
I like the combination, too! It generates the ridgeline that was really missing in the original style. Thanks for experimenting and sharing this with everyone!

-Rob A>

Karro
06-02-2008, 12:10 AM
Yea, my first couple of attempts came out crappy also. This is one of the reasons I started playing around with some other ways to do mountain fields. Think I finally have something I like....

Try DanChops mini tut on this thread: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2087 I really like the way this effect looks in the end. He needs to make a proper tutorial out of it.

Yep, some of those look pretty good!

Select all your water (rivers and seas/oceans), create a layer mask (optional but recommended), run the bevel tool with 1-2 px. Make SURE you turn off the "make a copy" or whatever so you get it in the same layer. This will create that cut effect nicely. Then, apply the layer mask on whatever layers(forests, etc) and they all get cut out to make room for the river. Personally, I plan to play with adding ANOTHER forest layer with just a few small "bits" on top to cover the river in a few tiny places to better simulate real terrain.

Joe

Thanks for pointing out DanChops' technique. I think I managed to make it work fairly well.

Now, stupid question time: how do you do this bevel. I looked and looked and looked, but the only reference I could find in GIMP to Bevel was in the "Filters>Decor" menu for "Add Bevel". That did not do what I was looking for.

Karro
06-02-2008, 12:13 AM
That's a great run through of the different mountain methods. The second o last is looking really nice.

I like the combination, too! It generates the ridgeline that was really missing in the original style. Thanks for experimenting and sharing this with everyone!

-Rob A>

Thanks! I agree, I really like the way it came out.

Then, using DanChop's modification of RobA's forests in the big tutorial, I think I managed to get some fairly decent looking forests to go with them.

Still need to make some improvements (rivers? Bevels?)

Comments, suggestions for improvement?

Karro
06-05-2008, 12:27 AM
Okay, I think I've made some great improvements, so far. I learned several cool things working on these steps, like locking the alpha chanel. Plus, I finally figured out how to do a very basic bevel--it took a while, and it's very easy to overdo it.

I'm not sure about how I cut the river through the forest. The process I used was: first I duplicated the river mask I did on the grass layer for each of the forest layers. This made the river look flat on top of the forest, so I made a copy of the mask, widened the river in the copy by about a half dozen pixels (via the grow selection), then blurred it by a few pixels, and applied the result as the mask for each of the forest layers.

I tried something else for the coastline. The bevel was making the whole coast pop. I toned this down by adjusting the opacity of the layer that was making the bevel. Then, I took an edge detection of one of the original black-and-white land masks (I happened to already have one of these), created a new layer filled with the Coastline color (the pale tan from the cities color palette RobA offers in the original tutorial) and masked it with the edge mask. I fiddled with the layer settings, and ultimately settled on Soft Light at full opacity. This helped tone down the bevel on the land mass's coast edge, but maintained the bevel for the rivers.

Then added cities and roads. I just used a round brush for the cities, chose and earthy red (since I used to make cities with red dots on my old maps...). For roads followed RobA's instructions exactly.

For this map, I also added the underwater bumpmap and the top-layer cloud overlay.

Let me know what you think!

It's been a joy so far working on this. I wish I had more time to update more quickly.

torstan
06-05-2008, 06:17 AM
Those are looking great.

Karro
06-05-2008, 10:06 AM
Those are looking great.

Thanks! I'm quite proud of the progess so far. When compared to the state of my maps prior to starting on this tutorial, I've come a long way in the past couple weeks.

jfrazierjr
06-05-2008, 10:30 AM
Thanks! I'm quite proud of the progess so far. When compared to the state of my maps prior to starting on this tutorial, I've come a long way in the past couple weeks.

Very nice so far! 2 things, one IMO is a bit more important(first one), the other not so much:

The rivers look a bit to fat for the most part and uniform in width. I know this is VERY hard to get right with just a mouse, so I totally understand. I bought a tablet mainly for the purpose of drawing rivers with variable widths.

You may want to consider using a noise layer set to overlay just over top of your grass and below rivers, forests, etc and masked with the land mask. This will get you a bit more color variation in your green grass layer with no manual painting and very little over all effort. If you feel like it, you can play with it over your dirt also, but I don't know how if that will look good as I have not tried it myself. Take a look: http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4103&d=1212462223
between the two big forests for an example and give it a try to see if you like it. I think for "mine" I actually did two different overlays with differnt noise settings to get something l liked.

Joe

Karro
06-05-2008, 02:35 PM
Very nice so far! 2 things, one IMO is a bit more important(first one), the other not so much:

The rivers look a bit to fat for the most part and uniform in width. I know this is VERY hard to get right with just a mouse, so I totally understand. I bought a tablet mainly for the purpose of drawing rivers with variable widths.

You may want to consider using a noise layer set to overlay just over top of your grass and below rivers, forests, etc and masked with the land mask. This will get you a bit more color variation in your green grass layer with no manual painting and very little over all effort. If you feel like it, you can play with it over your dirt also, but I don't know how if that will look good as I have not tried it myself. Take a look: http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4103&d=1212462223
between the two big forests for an example and give it a try to see if you like it. I think for "mine" I actually did two different overlays with differnt noise settings to get something l liked.

Joe

Thanks. I'll have to work on the rivers issue. I agree that they look a little strange, atm. In order to have the river thin as it branched into headwaters approaching the mountains, I used progessively thinner brushes. But to vary the width of the river in different spots, I'm going to have to go back and adjust the layer masks manually, darkening up the edges here and there to thin the river out a little in places... I guess that means also redoing the bevel... Didn't have time to try this yet today.

Here is an update to the above image (without new rivers yet) with some labels.

The place-names are intentionally whimsical/silly, a reminder for me that this is a practice map of nowhere in particular.

jfrazierjr
06-05-2008, 04:08 PM
The place-names are intentionally whimsical/silly, a reminder for me that this is a practice map of nowhere in particular.

As a young man, I was given a treasure map to a land of untold riches. I gathered an expedition and travled from the Great Placia Mountains down the Placia River. We passed through Capitalica into the ocean, turning South. We finally tacked South East after passing Cape Somewheria. After several weeks for travel our ship veered northward and on to Port South Placia. After a few days, we left port and plotted our course, ending up in Itty Bitty Island Village, where we looted the gold in their temples and captured a hugh ape creature. After returning the back to Capitalica, the great ape escaped, climbed wizards tower where our Griffon Guard pestered him until he fell to his death. No one has been back to Itty Bitty Island Village again and the King has outlawed importation of any animals from other lands.

------------------------------

On a side note, if I had not said it before, I really love your forests. They look great!

Joe

Karro
06-09-2008, 11:51 AM
As a young man, I was given a treasure map to a land of untold riches. I gathered an expedition and travled from the Great Placia Mountains down the Placia River. We passed through Capitalica into the ocean, turning South. We finally tacked South East after passing Cape Somewheria. After several weeks for travel our ship veered northward and on to Port South Placia. After a few days, we left port and plotted our course, ending up in Itty Bitty Island Village, where we looted the gold in their temples and captured a hugh ape creature. After returning the back to Capitalica, the great ape escaped, climbed wizards tower where our Griffon Guard pestered him until he fell to his death. No one has been back to Itty Bitty Island Village again and the King has outlawed importation of any animals from other lands.

------------------------------

On a side note, if I had not said it before, I really love your forests. They look great!

Joe

It's like the legend of Donkey Kong!

I suggested to the fiancee last week that I was looking at ebay to see if I could get a reasonably-priced tablet.

She asked "wouldn't you rather be writing than drawing? Or finding a new job?" She's got a point, she does. I'm more of a writer than an artist; it's why I make maps in the first place. And I do rather despise my current job... :( I do want one, but I realize now is not the time for me to get one, as I have other priorities for the foreseeable future.

Still, I'm getting good results without it for now. I didn't have time all weekend to work on this, it was quite busy, but I'll try to work on some updates soon :)

Karro
06-11-2008, 04:09 PM
Okay, so I tried to take Joe's suggestion and go back and redo the rivers a little (and add a little noise to the ground). I just fuzzed up the edges of the rivers with a soft brush, and thinned them out. I put a b&w gradient on a plasma noise and overlayed it over the ground layer to provide some additional noise on the ground cover. I also added an additional terrain label.

Then, I started in on the title. Here is the final output for that. I noticed that I couldn't follow RobA's instructions exactly because, given the order he used by applying the mask to the gradient/curve layer over the title label first and then distressing the edge of the title lable left some unusual artifacts along the edge of the title label. By removing the mask on the gradient curve layer, then alpha-to-selection on the new, distressed-edge title layer, and using that selection for the mask on the gradient curve cleaned up those artifacts.

Finally, the border. I didn't try to do a legend or compass rose.

And that's that. I think I've learned enough about GIMP to give it another go round and to be a little more adventurous in what I try next time round. I started the thread with a second set of coastlines begun using RobA's tutorial, so I'll see what I can do with that one now.

RobA
06-11-2008, 08:02 PM
I noticed that I couldn't follow RobA's instructions exactly because, given the order he used by applying the mask to the gradient/curve layer over the title label first and then distressing the edge of the title lable left some unusual artifacts along the edge of the title label. By removing the mask on the gradient curve layer, then alpha-to-selection on the new, distressed-edge title layer, and using that selection for the mask on the gradient curve cleaned up those artifacts.

Thanks for catching that! I knew I had messed something up in my notes :P

-Rob A>

Ascension
06-12-2008, 12:08 AM
I love the color scheme, I hope you don't mind if I try to incorporate that into my work.

Karro
06-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Thanks for catching that! I knew I had messed something up in my notes :P

-Rob A>

No problem. Thank you for creating the tutorial in the first place! It helped me learn enough about GIMP to know what to do once I saw the error.

Karro
06-12-2008, 09:15 AM
I love the color scheme, I hope you don't mind if I try to incorporate that into my work.

I just used, primarily, the color scheme from RobA's GIMP tutorial, which I believe he borrowed from another tutorial on city-mapping. So, feel free, I think :)

RobA
06-12-2008, 10:31 AM
I just used, primarily, the color scheme from RobA's GIMP tutorial, which I believe he borrowed from another tutorial on city-mapping. So, feel free, I think :)

FYI, here is the city tutorial (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=530) It works well in GIMP too. There a few extra posts in the thread on GIMP alternatives to Photoshop for some of the steps.

-Rob A>

NymTevlyn
06-12-2008, 01:17 PM
Where's the tutorial to make forests like in this map?

Karro
06-12-2008, 01:40 PM
Where's the tutorial to make forests like in this map?

I followed the process detailed by DanChops starting in post 18 of this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2087&page=2)thread.

(It's a variant on RobA's original regional map tutorial that involves a few more layers for the forests and uses plasma clouds with a b/w gradient instead of solid noise clouds.)

NymTevlyn
06-12-2008, 03:34 PM
I followed the process detailed by DanChops starting in post 18 of this (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=2087&page=2)thread.

(It's a variant on RobA's original regional map tutorial that involves a few more layers for the forests and uses plasma clouds with a b/w gradient instead of solid noise clouds.)
I'm gonna have to download gimp to make these solid noise and plasma things. ;_;

Ascension
06-13-2008, 05:37 PM
Same here Nym, I'm also looking into the way it does tubes, or whatever they're called, so I can get more randomness into my building's shapes.

Badger
06-20-2008, 10:12 AM
I decided to try out RobA's other Mountain Tutorial

Can anyone point me to this tutorial. I like the ridge look on the mountains it seems to produce & i'm way to nooby to find out how to do that myself. Got to the mountains section of RobA's tut for a map of europe, awesome tut so far.

cheers
B

On a side note, the solid nose rendering is one domain where GIMP really kicks PS imho

jfrazierjr
06-20-2008, 10:40 AM
Can anyone point me to this tutorial. I like the ridge look on the mountains it seems to produce & i'm way to nooby to find out how to do that myself. Got to the mountains section of RobA's tut for a map of europe, awesome tut so far.

cheers
B

On a side note, the solid nose rendering is one domain where GIMP really kicks PS imho

Here you go Badger: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1142 (http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=594)

This is to make the over all map. This one is the technique Karro used to make the mountains specifically:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=594

And here are a few variations on the mountain technique in practice, one by RobA himself: http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=23160&postcount=4

And one by me:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/showpost.php?p=23450&postcount=19

Joe