PDA

View Full Version : Kyuden Suzume

Larb
11-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Quite some time ago I made a map of Kyuden Suzume for L5R. I have decided to update it. Right now I've only done the basic layout but I intend to try some new things with this one. I have made some alterations to give the town a more sensible layout and to account for some changes in the L5R fluff regarding the town and "castle".

I have posted the original one for a comparison too.

There's still lots to do but at least I've made a start!

jtougas
11-18-2012, 03:49 PM
Great start. I don't want to hi jack your thread but I had a question about the way PS handles the line tool. Is there a way to keep from making separate layers every time you create a new shape? (I'm using CS6) Thanks in advance and I'm looking forward to seeing this progress. :)

Larb
11-18-2012, 04:17 PM
When using the line tool, if you make sure "fill pixels" is selected instead of shape levels in the options at the top, it will create everything on an existing layer.

Kier
11-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Nice. I really like the hills, look very natural blending them in.

jtougas
11-18-2012, 07:14 PM
When using the line tool, if you make sure "fill pixels" is selected instead of shape levels in the options at the top, it will create everything on an existing layer.

Thanks so much. I am such a PS rookie. :)

Larb
11-19-2012, 02:00 AM
Bit of an update. Got the roof lines done thankfully. Still quite a lot to do though. I also made some colour adjustments as the lands of the Suzume aren't the most fertile so I wanted to reflect that.

gbsilverio
11-19-2012, 02:07 AM
I like it. The cange in the grass tone is subtle but improved the look considerably, IMO. By the way, what are the re circles on the lines connecting the roofs? Lamps?

Larb
11-19-2012, 02:22 AM
Yes, those are big red paper lanterns. Just something to add a little more detail.

amberroberts09
11-19-2012, 05:06 AM
I really like this one...!!!

jtougas
11-19-2012, 09:50 AM
That looks very good. One question: The white squares in the middle of the city are those market tents?

Vellum
11-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Larb I like the progression, its looking good so far. I do have a water comment tho. I see we had a lake/pond with the castle / walled manor in the upper left to start. No water in progress set. I think you need a well or small stream / lake for the village water source. Not trying to be the river police here LOL, just something that caught my eye.

Larb
11-19-2012, 06:33 PM
I have finished it now. I have an additional sparrow village to update to go along with it which I'll do next. It's much smaller. =P

I added the wells too. I forgot about those. The Sparrow lands are not very fertile and life can be a bit of a struggle. The clan was basically given lands no one else wanted (or more accurately, didn't care to lose).

Rhotherian
11-20-2012, 12:39 PM
I find this map very quaint. I'd just have the labels in a font more matching the map (something that looks hand-written perhaps), but that's just me. :)

A question about the two maps on the opening post: Is the second map intended to be a "future" version of the first? Is certainly has that appearance.

Larb
11-20-2012, 06:04 PM
It's not set in the future, it's just a better version of the first map. The first map is pretty old and I had a less logical grasp of street layouts and such. In the updated version, I decided to rectify the odd housing clusters while increasing the number of buildings (it is the Sparrow Clan's primary holding).

One of the reasons I like updating old maps every so often is to a) refine styles and try new things, and b) helps me see the kind of progress I am making.

Rhotherian
11-21-2012, 07:31 AM
Ah, okay. Well, well done. :D

Larb
11-22-2012, 05:15 PM
This is a companion map to the above and another update. The original of this one was on paper. I have done another one as well but there isn't really anything special about it.

I have incorporated a few more handdrawn elements on this one (the boats) rather than making them with shapes and layer styles like the buildings.

Rhotherian
11-27-2012, 11:48 AM
Ooo, river. Your conservative approach with the trees is pretty ingenious. I wouldn't have thought of doing it that way. The boats are very cute, by the way. :)

Lyandra
12-02-2012, 06:34 AM
Great maps Larb! It's always nice to see updated versions of your old creations. :)

Schwarzkreuz
01-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Very nice! I will look into your tutorial soon.