PDA

View Full Version : Napoleonic World

Badger
05-27-2008, 03:40 AM
Hi all,

I realize requesting a map on my very first post isn't the most polite thing to do, but it was why i found my way here after all.

I'm currently working on an online campaign game simulating the French revolutionary and Napoleonic wars. For this project, we are still looking for a decent map, containing provinces, cities rivers, mountains and the like.

I have a base map available in Adobe Illustrator which i can provide as a basis for someone to start working from.

I am a programmer, not an artist, & our artist is currently engaged in other assignments, so i'd like to ask if someone would be up to the challenge? drop me a line if so & we can work out the details.

cheers
Badger

Napoleonic World (http://www.icoe.be/NW/index.html)

ravells
05-27-2008, 06:23 AM
Ordinarily, being a wargamer and interested in military history (although more WW2 and ancients rather than Napoleonic) I would have jumped on this, but I'm far too busy at the moment, regretfully.

What sort of time constraints are you under? Are you looking for a particular style?

Welcome to the Guild, btw!

Cheers

Ravs

Badger
05-27-2008, 07:17 AM
Thx anyway,

Not really under any time limit (yet) as this is for a hobby/casual project, not really defined a style just yet, though i included the current WIP website of the project. Something along the way of contemporary maps would be awesome, doesn't have to be color either, black and white (or sepia brownish) would fit perfectly. I'll see if i can find any examples.

On the side, i've been browsing throught this forum, quite some awesome work here, great job

cheers
B

Badger
06-25-2008, 07:16 AM
Hehe,

after browsing these forums & messing in Gimp for a while, i've started on a map myself, using mainly RobA's awesome regional map tutorial and some resources i found around the web.

This is what i got so far. i'm currently cleaning the rivers, the mountains will need some finetuning, but here it goes:

<added image as attachment>

cities will be drawn using some sort of vector drawing api on the final games website, but i'll be adding soem text as well later.

cheers & thanks for the great stuff on mapmaking here at the forum
B

NeonKnight
06-25-2008, 07:38 AM
Good work. Napoleonics, been a long time since I played those kind of games.

torstan
06-25-2008, 07:38 AM
That looks brilliant. Good work so far. I'll put in a small comment based entirely on regional bias. The mountains in Scotland are wrong. You have a small ridge down the East coast, which doesn't exist as far as I know, and no mountains in the highlands. I know the Scottish mountains aren't of the scale of the alps or the Atlas mountains but they do hit 1000m, and are larger than anything else on the British Isles. Otherwise, very pretty.

jfrazierjr
06-25-2008, 09:03 AM
Cool, nice map.... is it just me, or does this map look familiar to anyone? I can't quite place it...:)

Joe

SeerBlue
06-25-2008, 10:37 PM
I think it is the Semi-Farcical Amalgamated(almost) Union of the Euro.....
just kidding, I really like it.
SeerBlue

just had a thought, this would look real sweet with historically accurate forest coverage, especially for England.

Badger
06-26-2008, 02:49 AM
Some early 19th century satellite coverage would be awesome for that purpose :P

Anyone know of any sources on that info?

@Torstan

Those scottish ridges are actually an artifact from importing DTM data for europe as the base layer for mountain creation. I had to scale & fit one european map on top of the other, & near the coast of the northern countries that match didn't quite turn out. I have no exp with rubber sheeting in Gimp (don't now if its possible) just used scale layer & moved it around manually to get a 'best fit'. You'll see the same stuff at the northern border of Denmark & the east sea countries. I'll be getting rid of those in a later stage

cheers
B

jfrazierjr
06-26-2008, 08:40 AM

Sorry, just sold my last copy a few days ago. They are so hard to come by, so I am note quite sure when or if I shall be getting more in stock.

But perhaps you would be interested in this sleeping parrot over here....

Joe

Badger
06-26-2008, 09:43 AM
mm, not sure, does it talk?

jfrazierjr
06-26-2008, 11:18 AM
mm, not sure, does it talk?

Only when I am around and you turn your head or look down for a second.

Joe

RobA
06-26-2008, 12:30 PM
Thread moved to the WIP forums...

-Rob A>

RPMiller
06-26-2008, 12:50 PM

@Torstan

Those scottish ridges are actually an artifact from importing DTM data for europe as the base layer for mountain creation. I had to scale & fit one european map on top of the other, & near the coast of the northern countries that match didn't quite turn out. I have no exp with rubber sheeting in Gimp (don't now if its possible) just used scale layer & moved it around manually to get a 'best fit'. You'll see the same stuff at the northern border of Denmark & the east sea countries. I'll be getting rid of those in a later stage

cheers
B
As a side note, I believe there is a FT or Wilbur map that has that area already created, and I believe there is a CC2 map that has the British Isles all mapped out. I'm not at home to check, but I'm sure someone else here can check on it and perhaps upload an image.

torstan
06-26-2008, 02:19 PM
Oh, missed the reply earlier. Glad to hear it. I missed it on Denmark because the effect is to make it look flat - which is pretty accurate!

Badger
06-26-2008, 02:48 PM
@RPMiller

Cool, i'm lookign forward to those maps, could save me a lot of work :D
thx

Badger
07-03-2008, 04:55 PM
OK, i've updated the map with forest coverage, based on a 1929 article (best i could find on forest coverage). Any suggestions on the forest are welcome, not really comfortable with it as it is now.

Also added some extra noise on the mountains as well as the rivers, where i put on an inverse bump map for a depth effect.

comments plz :D

cheers
B

Badger
07-04-2008, 03:55 PM
Next update, added deserts & Nation names. I'm using an 18th century font, thats why the s looks weird :D

cheers
B

delgondahntelius
07-04-2008, 04:01 PM
Egads Badger... you can save yourself alot of space on the post if you add the picture as an attachment... go to advanced, and click the little paperclip at the top (manage attachmnets) ...

:D

Great progress on the map.. I look forward to seeing it completed :)

Badger
07-04-2008, 05:20 PM
thx, just did that.

btw what did you mean by 'egads'?

cheers
B

delgondahntelius
07-05-2008, 03:33 AM
the size of the post... because the picture was inserted inline instead of as an attachment :D.... always makes my browser scroll a billion feet to right when that happens :D

RPMiller
07-05-2008, 11:31 AM
I changed the first image post to be an attachment as well to save on the scrolling.

Midgardsormr
07-05-2008, 08:11 PM
To clarify, "Egads!" is an exclamation of surprise. It's an archaic word and probably a euphemism for or corruption of "Oh God!" or "Ye gods!"

delgondahntelius
07-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Brian is right... http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Egads

and some further reading material on Minced Oaths http://www.reference.com/browse/wiki/Minced_oath