View Full Version : The Orpheus Journal

05-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Hi all!

Well, I've been quiet for a few months... but the university semester is ending soon, and classes are already finished. I spent 4 hours in the university library today, looking at map books and writing styles.

The following image is an old journal I scanned in, then added a map, and some extra stuff. Half-way through I thought to myself, "umm... I could have saved time and just drawn this with a pen," then considered the editability and reuseability of the journal image.

I have also attached the original, and the original cover. (I have no idea what it used to be - when I found it, it was filled with gardening research: composition of soil, watering, clippings, etc).

Hint: go to an antique/second-hand book store. True leather-bound covers are awesome!

EDIT: In future, I will be experimenting with styles inspired by various historical maps. The one shown here is a simple one; I will next create a portolan-style map with like 200 coastal towns, so I need to start naming!

05-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I loved the chewed up corner!

05-28-2008, 07:21 PM
Hahaha, yeah, I dunno what caused it, maybe rats or something o___O

05-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Very nice Aeronox. The map is clear and understated and the journal and sourroundings lend it a huge amount of context and depth of story. Very cool.

05-29-2008, 11:52 AM
An extremely nice work, I must admit. Far beyond what I can do! :)

The picture has depth and story, as Torq said fittingly. *applauds*

05-29-2008, 01:07 PM
Wait a Second, ARSENAL Commitee? Professer H.PAYNE?

That's an absolute, bonefide, Joke Cover.

The Journal is still awesome though.

05-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Hahaha, I never thought of it that way Arkkeeper. I did a google search on the guy, only 1 (maybe 2) results about him.

I will probably revisit this map, when my world is figured out more. The Orpheus Journal will be a foreigner's account of the world.

05-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Yeah I'm for sure thats a joke cover, it's part of the stack that appears in The Evil Dead in the scene where ash cuts off his own hand, y'know along with Farewell To Arms

05-30-2008, 10:43 AM
That's a great idea. I'd never considered that. Nice map as well by the way. What will this be used for, or is it just for fun?

05-30-2008, 09:03 PM
It is for my latest story.