PDA

View Full Version : The Unknowne Lands

Ramah
12-02-2012, 12:33 PM
So I've been out of the game for quite a while now due to various reasons but recently I managed to recover something of my mojo. Anyhoo, here is the finished version of a map I started a long time ago and was supposed to be a quick map I worked on when I needed a break from other stuff. :S

So, this is a magical land akin to Shangri-la or Brigadoon - an island adrift on the seas and charted on no map. Time and death have no meaning on the island - should death occur the victim would return to life the next dawn and be forever tied to the island, unable to leave. It is said that the island will continue to move through the seas of time until the three remaining warring kings (a fourth was treachorously betrayed and slain, thus cursing the land) put aside their claims and unite under a single monarch.

The snatches of poem at the sides are meant to be from a longer poem that tells the tale of an expedition that ended up at the island and the problems they faced before some escaped. It is not sequential - the left side is from early in the poem and the right side is from near the end.

I hope you enjoy it though personally I sure am glad to be done with it. :)

Edit: As this was not a commission and was done with no aim other than producing a map I'm adding a cut down and unlabeled version for personal use. This is offered under creative commons and is for personal use only and not for commercial use.
Thanks.

Vellum
12-02-2012, 12:57 PM
Ramah Looking good!! Good to see you return, hoping to see more of this kind of work, congrats

Korash
12-02-2012, 01:07 PM
RAMAH !!!! you are back! :)

glad to see that you haven't lost your touch. Nice luscious colors you have there. They really do give that idealic natural feel. Kinda at odds with a curse, but diggin' it anyway. Some curses may not feel that way until you have had too much of a good thing. I find the text of the pe=oem hard to read at times but that too just adds to the overall feel of the thing.

Just one question though, the only structure that I saw without a label is that tower located in the middle of the mountains with a green top. The lack of a label is just adding to the mystery of it all, but curiosity is forcing me to ask if that was intentional...

Very nicely done.as usual.

Ramah
12-02-2012, 01:16 PM
Just one question though, the only structure that I saw without a label is that tower located in the middle of the mountains with a green top. The lack of a label is just adding to the mystery of it all, but curiosity is forcing me to ask if that was intentional...

Yes, it was intentional. :) There are actually 5 towers although one of them might not be so obvious. ;)

Jaxilon
12-02-2012, 01:31 PM
Saw this over on deviantart and I'm glad you posted it up on here as well. This is wonderful Ramah, I hope you are back to creating again and look forward to seeing more awesome stuff from you.

Lyandra
12-02-2012, 05:49 PM
This map is amazing! The sea looks so alive... It's beautiful. It's great to see your work again Ramah! I cannot wait to see more from you, you are a great artist and cartographer. :)

Lyandra
12-02-2012, 05:54 PM
Ok. I give up. Where is the fifth tower? o_O

Larb
12-02-2012, 06:01 PM
Is it under the sea? The subtle light by the Drake ruins? It'd make it a roughly equal cross pattern anyway.

This one is definitely going into my inspiration folder. =P

Lyandra
12-02-2012, 06:12 PM
You might be onto something Larb ;)

Bogie
12-02-2012, 06:19 PM
Beautiful map, great backstory, lots of cool details.

Sapiento
12-03-2012, 02:31 AM
Beautiful!

Ramah
12-03-2012, 05:01 AM
Is it under the sea? The subtle light by the Drake ruins? It'd make it a roughly equal cross pattern anyway.

This. :)

It's actually broken. The mass on the small island to the right of Drake is the base in a similar style to the other 4 towers although being claimed by moss and flora. The top is indeed beneath the waves.

Clercon
12-03-2012, 05:51 AM
Absolutely amazing! And I must say this isn't a map it is a piece of art!

Redrobes
12-03-2012, 01:09 PM
That's one giant dollop of awesomeness right there...

BonSequitur
12-03-2012, 11:11 PM
That's beautiful. Really evocative, and I love the triptych arrangement on it.

pasis
12-04-2012, 03:23 AM
This is really stunning. I love the colors and the overall feeling you have captured. I constantly want to zoom in to see the details.

Ramah
12-04-2012, 04:33 AM
Thanks for all the great comments, guys. This map really was a pain to get finished and the fact that it is getting some love is really helping me to keep my motivation going. :)

arsheesh
12-06-2012, 07:12 PM
Just wonderful!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Jaxilon
12-07-2012, 01:45 PM
Well, it's always good to see stuff from you Ramah, I think I speak for all of us in saying I always look forward to seeing your work.

I will say one thing that I thought was kind of fun as well. I love your waves around the island but they did remind me of cabbages, which is a pant that makes me smile by just saying it's name. :)
I hope it won't make you dislike them but just so I don't seem like a complete nutter: stonehead-cabbage (http://bonnieplants.com/products/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/s/t/stonehead-cabbage_5.jpg) :)

jariath
12-11-2012, 05:19 PM
That looks amazing!

RjBeals
12-12-2012, 01:38 PM
What the others said - this is amazing. I love coming across maps like this!

monks
12-12-2012, 04:14 PM
Wonderful! I especially like the sea!

monks

Thordred
01-18-2013, 01:22 PM
Oh my... That's probably the nicest one I've ever seen.

Moe
01-20-2013, 07:22 AM
[...] but recently I managed to recover something of my mojo.[...]

Some huge portion of mojo, I'd say :) Great!
I'm sorry I can't grant you some rep, yet again.

~Moe

Ramah
01-31-2013, 08:43 AM
Thanks a lot guys, your comments are much appreciated. :)

Ramah
03-19-2013, 07:04 AM
Hey there. I've edited the original post in this thread to add a cut down (without the side panels) and unlabeled version of the map for personal use. I offer it under creative commons so please, if you use it be repsectful of that fact. Cheers.