PDA

View Full Version : Cano Island experimentation sketch

Jaxilon
12-05-2012, 03:14 AM
Basically just trying to smash my way around in Photoshop so I can learn the functions it has. I'm used to Gimp and coming from that it seems like PS hides features in odd places. I just have to get used to it so I started scribbling and that sort of morphed into this. I may need to track down some good add ons as well since I don't see as many filter options as I had with Gimp.

I did this last night and couldn't leave it alone so put some more details into it today. It's really just a sketch gone wild but it's a style I may try to refine in the future.

I don't think it's too horrible for not having a goal in mind when I started. I figured I would share it just to keep myself active and motivated to keep drawing.

Cheers

kestrelgrey
12-05-2012, 03:31 AM
I think you've really got something here. Sketchy as it is, I rather like it.The thumbnail looks especially nice ^-^ Your color choices are excellent, and - assuming I'm reading it right, that the lighter colors around the island are reefs - I like that you've thought of that. The volcano looks good, and the geographic features look natural. I really love that little island in that round bay; it looks a little unnaturally smoothly rounded, but it looks better in the full size map. Good luck with PS! It does like to hide things in odd places, and sometimes the workspace layout can be frustrating. You've done a great job!

Jaxilon
12-05-2012, 03:35 AM
Sometimes I like sketchy too and yes, those are reefs.

Ramah
12-06-2012, 01:00 PM
I think it looks great, man. Love your sea. :)

indigorising
12-06-2012, 04:13 PM
Very nice! The color scheme is fantastic, and the sketchy quality gives it an artistic edge I like. Also, your rocks are very well done.

jbgibson
12-06-2012, 09:29 PM
Awesome. New to PS, eh? Goes to show it ain't the tool, it's the talent behind it.

amberroberts09
12-07-2012, 12:54 AM
Awesome specially the sea part!!!

Jaxilon
12-07-2012, 01:19 AM
Thanks guys.
I think I'm least happy with the greenery myself. I'll have to try something different next time.
I agree with the comment on the rocks, I was pleased the way they turned out. Then of course, they are pretty much hand painted over the line work. I probably should have posted just the drawing without any color in order to make a real WIP out of it but it wasn't supposed to be a long drawn out work anyway. I also was pretty happy with how the reef islands turned out.
As for the Sea, I'd call that my semi watercolor attempt. Combined with the line work It came out sort of how I envisioned. Sometimes you get some happy coincidences too which are always fun. I faded it outwards using that eyeball blur thing PS has which leaves the focus on the areas you want but blurs the areas outside of it. Not a bad tool i think.

Diamond
12-07-2012, 01:42 AM
As for the Sea, I'd call that my semi watercolor attempt.

That's exactly what it looked like to me, watercolors, so mission accomplished. It looks great.

Schwarzkreuz
12-07-2012, 05:22 AM
Well Jax, thats an rounded map, with time you will find your way through PS for shure.