PDA

View Full Version : Tower of the Queen

Bogie
12-18-2012, 10:38 AM
I've been working on an unpaid commission for personal use. The tower is the living / working area of the queen. Usually I would start with the bottom floor and work up, but this time I felt like doing the top floor first. So this is the throne room with her library / laboratory and her personal quarters.

Korash
12-18-2012, 01:33 PM
Very nice Bogie. As usual :)

I like the floor pattern in the throne room, really ffocuses on the throne. My one question would be about the funishings of the bedroom and library...I think it might be misconstrued when the Queen, after a long day dealling with affairs of state, brings a few close confidents into her bedroom to talk over the days events.....Wouldn`t the Library be a better choice for such entertaining? A comfy chair or two in the bedroom sure, but a few more in the library would be a bit more....discrete ;)

Bogie
12-18-2012, 02:08 PM
I was thinking that her magic lab would be more off limits, but I see your point about entertaining guests in her bedroom. Will have to re-arrange this a bit. Thanks.

Mark Oliva
12-19-2012, 03:14 AM
Yeah, I would think when a queen entertains guests in her bedroom it probably is a very different kind of entertainment.

Hmmm.

atpollard
12-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Just a thought, but the throne room is so large that it could use some ceiling height, so move the queens Bedroom and Magic room to a top floor open to the throne room on the floor below. Below the bedroom and magic room (on the actual throne room level) is a private withdrawing room or two accessed from the throne room.

Bogie
12-19-2012, 02:20 PM
Good Idea atpollard, but the "customer" wanted it this way, I plan to make some changes though.

Bogie
12-20-2012, 01:38 AM
It was pointed out to me that the queen would need a discrete, private area to discuss business and politics that was not in her bedchambers.
I rearranged the Library / Lab so that there was a cozy corner.
I also added shadows to enhance the feeling of depth, and trees to make the grounds more interesting.

amberroberts09
12-20-2012, 03:52 AM
Wow I wish I be its princess!!!

Lyandra
12-20-2012, 05:15 AM
The project looks great Bogie but the latest attachment appears to be broken. :(

Bogie
12-20-2012, 09:55 AM
Lets try that attachment again:

Jacktannery
12-20-2012, 02:22 PM
This is looking good Bogie. I'm finding that the internal furniture is very neat and squared-off. Any chance you could skew them all a tiny bit so that it looks a little more lived-in? Your lovely timber staircase looks great here.

Bogie
12-21-2012, 02:55 AM
Here is another version. The customer pointed out that the tower was in the center of the city, so there were to many trees around the tower. I changed the landscape to reflect that and tweaked the furnishings a bit.

Lyandra
12-23-2012, 12:08 PM
Looks good, though I liked the green background with trees better. It could have been a park in a city.^^

Bogie
12-23-2012, 04:37 PM
I liked the trees better also, but the DM wanted it this way.

Bogie
01-07-2013, 02:08 AM
Once again, working from the top down, this is the floor just below the throne room.
It contains several waiting areas, a barracks for guards and or servants, a guard / storage room, and a kitchen.

I am posting both versions in case you like one better than the other.

Kier
01-07-2013, 07:19 AM
Yeah, I am partial to the one in the trees. Just an FYI it does seem to be missing the tower shadow of the first one. Not that I mind it, but I know sometimes with different version coming along its easy to forget some layers here or there. Once again. Nice progression.

Korash
01-07-2013, 01:32 PM
Looking good Bogie. I do have a question about the lighting on the landings though.......Why is one darker than the other? Different woods maybe?....just wondering...

And I too prefer the trees...but client is always right...most of the time. ;)

Bogie
01-07-2013, 06:10 PM
@Korash
The stairs on the left go up and the stairs on the right go down. It is not truly logical, but dark at the bottom is the convention most often used for stairs.

@Kier
Since I was focusing mostly on the paved background version, I didn't put in the effort to add the big shadow to the version with the trees. Not to mention it would be more difficult to do matching shadows for all the trees. Just assume that version is at High noon.

Korash
01-07-2013, 08:48 PM
@Korash
The stairs on the left go up and the stairs on the right go down. It is not truly logical, but dark at the bottom is the convention most often used for stairs.

Gotcha. I was thinking that the right landing was an intermediary with stairs both up and down...

Bogie
01-08-2013, 02:05 AM
The DM wants the players to have to work their way across each level to go up to the next one. So each set of stairs up will alternate sides.

Kier
01-08-2013, 07:16 AM
The DM wants the players to have to work their way across each level to go up to the next one. So each set of stairs up will alternate sides.

Nothing like herding your victims, I mean playthings, I mean, friends?

I figured so on the shadows, and truth without the pavement I wouldnt even had noticed so focused on the fine details of the chambers.
Well done.