PDA

View Full Version : Lands of Aern - fantasy world map

- Max -
01-02-2013, 09:41 AM
Here's my last work, the map of the Lands of Aern, a fantasy world that includes 11 different lands: The Kingdom of Ereborn, the Lands of Ephrin's Sons, the Eastern Territories, the Kingdom of Arwan, the Lands of Elrin, Fultar ans Sul-maen, the Great Kingdom of the Talan-Dur's Dwarven Lords, the Red Dukedoms, the Old Empire of Lorn and the Country of Selen.
This is a global map so it only shows the lands, main areas and main cities labels of the world.

Coastlines were hand drawn then numerized and worked with Photoshop. CGeography, colors and other stuff was made with Photoshop. Original size is 4961x3508 px.

Hope you'll like it. Comments are welcome :)

Vellum
01-02-2013, 10:00 AM
Max I like the feel of this one with the subdued earth tones and water. Nice font, what is it?

- Max -
01-02-2013, 10:11 AM
Thanks Vellum :)

Fonts used here are Clerica (Main lands, areas and seas name), Rosemary roman (cities labels), Metshige (title)

arsheesh
01-02-2013, 02:49 PM
Fantastic! It's reminiscent of some of the Dragon Age maps in my Inspiration Folder. Great work.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Freodin
01-02-2013, 03:13 PM
That's gorgeous! I cannot find any other word to describe it.

Bogie
01-02-2013, 04:29 PM
Beautiful Map, Thanks for sharing!!

- Max -
01-02-2013, 04:56 PM
Thanks guys for the comments and the rep :) I really had some good times doing it. I'm planning on making some regional maps from this one if I can find that precious time to do it, probably different kind of styles for some lands or towns...I'll probably start with the Kingdom of Ereborn where Sevindel is located (I previously worked on this town here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/21600-sevindel-hand-drawn-town.html)

Schwarzkreuz
01-02-2013, 05:17 PM
A lot of old maps used red color to hightlight the city icons. They are still very hard to see on your map. I know, modern seeing-habits refuse such clichee colorchoices often but they are important for the usability of the map. Oh and I realy like your handpainted style! Its looking very nice and everything blends in pretty well.

- Max -
01-02-2013, 05:46 PM
You're right Schwarzkreuz, some city icons are quite hard to see on this map, especially when they located on darker areas. Thanks for the useful criticism :) I guess I should work on it soon ;)

Schwarzkreuz
01-02-2013, 05:50 PM
And take a look at the white fonts, they are sometimes lacking contrast, a darker, outer glow layer effect should fix it.

- Max -
01-02-2013, 06:20 PM
I did put a dark outer glow on white labels but it seems that it's easier to see it on the original size. I'll probably increase the opacity of it though. Thanks again

- Max -
01-04-2013, 07:25 AM
* Updated above* I increased dark outer glow on white labels and made the cities icons a bit more readable (even though reddish colors doesn't really fit on this map after I gave it a try). Thanks Schwarzkreuz for the advices.

ukie
01-10-2013, 03:27 AM
Hey absolutely stunning map. Could you share some tips for creating rivers and coast lines with a newb? :)

- Max -
01-10-2013, 05:38 AM
Thanks Ukie. Most of the time I use to hand-draw coastlines and then work on them with Photoshop. Try to search in the tutorials sections, I know there's some about it but I can't remember which ones at the moment :/

GrimFinger
01-10-2013, 02:07 PM
The compass rose is a thing of cosmic beauty.

Why torture this map with that confounded unholy edging that you saddled it with? It is a curse upon this map, a blight, a bane.

The waters are a creature of much mystery. The text is a mixed bag. And what is with that horrid copyright? It could have been blended into the map, but instead, there the white elephant sits in all her fattened glory. Pah!

How do I love that compass rose? Let me count the ways. Where the land, itself, is concerned, she is a plain child. You have veiled her with a barren look. I fear that she weeps, yearning to be set free of this imposed grotesqueness.

To say that it is finished is to nail this map's coffin.

- Max -
01-10-2013, 02:58 PM
Hmm....My english isn't that good...so in short?

GrimFinger
01-10-2013, 03:22 PM
Hmm....My english isn't that good...so in short?

In short, you should revisit it. The compass rose is the visual equivalent of a cartographic masterpiece. The land mass you should spend more time with. Massage it with a bit more text. Breathe some life into it. Overall, it just feels rushed, regardless of how much time that you spent on it.

- Max -
01-10-2013, 04:08 PM
I'm pretty fine with this map and achieved some feels I have about it. Doing more maps , I sometimes try differents things, sometimes used familiar ones that fits what I have in mind but each new map is a way to improve something in a way or another. I just consider each one as a step in a long journey in my inner world... This one is behind me and I don't think I'll revisit it. maybe some day I'll redo it but it will be another map ;)

AslanC
01-21-2013, 04:25 PM
Your talent is palpable! Well done indeed! Love the colouring!

Aredhel
01-21-2013, 05:28 PM
I love this one...
Good job.

thiagodeassis
01-22-2013, 11:02 PM
Hello, nice work! Could you post some link to download it as .PSD?
Thanks!

- Max -
01-23-2013, 03:18 AM
Thanks guys. @ Thiago: sorry but i don't use to give my .psd files. Enjoy the jpeg :p

Aredhel
01-23-2013, 10:15 AM
It is a mesmerizing universe. The way you organize the space make the shapes melt together and become one another.
Thank you

- Max -
01-23-2013, 10:44 AM
Aredhel,I'm assuming ( due to your post in WIP thread ) that you talk about the map of Empire of Lorn :D Eh well thanks.