PDA

View Full Version : The Secret Den

Carnifex
01-03-2013, 07:28 PM
Here's a dungeon map which is made entirely in Illustrator. All items drawn by me in Illustrator.

The aim for this project: able to work fast, printable map, clear symbols/furniture, scalable (overview and battlemat scale), 100% editable, good looking (both close up and zoomed out).

Edit: updated the maps to slightly darker rock texture.

- Max -
01-03-2013, 08:25 PM
Good job there, though I think this kind of map deserves some more contrast with shading and lightining effects

Carnifex
01-03-2013, 08:42 PM
Good job there, though I think this kind of map deserves some more contrast with shading and lightining effects

Thanks. Yes, I agree I could add some more shading and lightning if it was to be used only as a battlemap but for an overview map it gets unreadable pretty quick. It could perhaps use some contrast and sharpening filter though.

- Max -
01-03-2013, 08:50 PM
Increasing the shadows outside the dungeon or make those outsides darker may highlight the dungeon more? But I guess it's a matter of personnal choices ;)

Carnifex
01-03-2013, 09:05 PM
Increasing the shadows outside the dungeon or make those outsides darker may highlight the dungeon more? But I guess it's a matter of personnal choices ;)

Well, a much darker rock texture would be perfect for screen use. I tested alot of different colors and shading for the rock but finally I tried to keep it lighter for good printing results (but maybe I did it too light and it could probably be a bit darker, yes - thanks for your input).

- Max -
01-03-2013, 09:12 PM
:D You're right : Printing don't really like too dark areas! ;)

Carnifex
01-03-2013, 09:55 PM
:D You're right : Printing don't really like too dark areas! ;)

Made the map a bit darker. Updated the map above :)

Bogie
01-03-2013, 11:45 PM
Nice work, but for it to be really useful the whole map needs to be at least the same size/resolution as the zoomed out part.

Katto
01-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Nice style you have developed! I agree with Max about lightning effects and contrast, it looks too friendly to me. At the first look the stairs appeared like a wall to me and don't fit to the large floor tiles, but that's all personal taste. Good job!