PDA

View Full Version : United Island's States (UIS)

AzurePlanet
01-05-2013, 09:30 PM
I'd like to re-born a very old map of mine.
It shows a fictional federal state island, called UIS, placed SE of real Newfoundland.

I firstly drew this one in the '80s (was it summer 1985?... I don't remember exactly, I was very young) using A4 size sheets, pencils and pens. Then I joined all sheets together with scotch tape, to make a big map: so those dark strips are explained...:lol:
Now I'm using DraftSight to make vector data, then I'll put them in Quantum GIS to have a DEM and a complete map. At last I'll probably use GIMP to refine my work.
I'll modify some features of the original map, specially contour lines, because they didn't satisfy me.

These examples show at most one of the six federal states, called New Pantheky, which is placed in the SW peninsula.
The projection I use is Transverse Mercator WGS84 zone 22N. Each grid square is 10 km wide.

Original hand-drawn map.

Drawing vector data on raster image...

Actual vector data.

P.S. Sorry if I make some mistake in english: my mother tongue is italian.

Vellum
01-09-2013, 01:42 PM
This is outta my league software wise, but its looking good so far. You seem to have been able to transfer the hand drawn elements and they look good.

AzurePlanet
01-12-2013, 09:43 PM
... You seem to have been able to transfer the hand drawn elements ...
Yes, but unforunately it's not an automatic procedure: I'm just re-drawing over hand-made stuff, and it takes a lot of time...
I use a CAD software because currently I can't use graphics softwares very well.

AzurePlanet
01-24-2013, 02:04 PM
The work is (very slowly) going on. :)

Current vector data.

I also drew the National Flag and those of the six States. I'm going to use them in the finished map.
According to ManOfSteel's useful advice, I renamed the Nation as "United States of Newfoundislands" (USN).

Your opinions and suggestions are welcome!

AzurePlanet
02-21-2013, 01:20 PM
I've just done some experiments to create DTMs.

Inside the red box there is a resolution of 20 m per pixel, with shadows, outside 80 m per pixel (very rough...).
I used GRASS GIS to get the DTMs, unfortunally I was not able to get them by Quantum GIS.

My final map will have a scale of 1:200000, so I think that the 20 m resolution will work well.

Please, let me know what do you think about.

Naeddyr
02-21-2013, 01:47 PM
Very, very nice, looking forward to seeing the rest.

thes33
04-09-2013, 03:39 PM
Nice! What are you planning on using this map for?

AzurePlanet
05-03-2013, 07:39 AM
@ thes33:
Oh, I'm just doing this map in my spare time, without a real porpouse. :)

AzurePlanet
09-10-2014, 01:29 PM
Hello everyone! :)
Just an update to remind me that this work is still in progress... I'm struggling with that never-ending contour lines.
Well, to be honest, I'm a bit lazy. I carry on this work when I'm in the right mood only.

This is the complete site, however a lot of work has still to be done.
Any comment/suggestion is highly appreciated. :)

whump
10-21-2014, 02:07 PM
So are you hand drawing all the contours over an older raster image? It seems like you have already broken the back of it with only some inland sections left. I find the less wiggly contours to be less fun :)
What are your plans for presentation? The current multi-coloured setup makes it look very much like a technical map or schematic. Will it stay this way?
The different elements so far look extremely convincing, especially given you're hand drawing them.

AzurePlanet
10-22-2014, 05:19 PM
@ whump:
Yes, I hope to finish quite soon with contours! ;)
I would like to use contours to make a tessellated DTM (Digital Terrain Model), and surely I'll have to drop the less important ones to make the map easier to be read.
Plans for presentations, you say? Since the USN country hasn't any element of fantasy or sci-fi, I'll use a modern contemporary style: a sort of technical map you could find hung on any public place wall.