PDA

View Full Version : [Region 1][Map 01] Ash coast

alucard339
06-05-2008, 07:00 AM
Sorry for the late entry, but I'm kind of really busy at work with the preparation for the next rotation in Afghanistan. :?
And the little time left is spend on the house. :x

Right now, I'm still trying to figure out how I will do my map. I've try some style but don't like them so I'm still searching :D.

The principle should be this a meteor crash near the shore of map 1 north coast and transform all habitants into undead (classic but I wanted to do that since a long time ago) and the survivors fled to the sea to a near island to the west (call last home). That would me on the map 0 that I'm also doing since there is not much in map 1.

Sea-U-Hall,
alu.

alucard339
06-05-2008, 07:58 AM
here is a quick draw of map 0 and 1.

alucard339
06-10-2008, 12:04 AM
Here is a little update. :D

I'm trying different styles of landscape.

I've added a quick color version to a better look. :x

I'm not sure if I'm on the right track or not :?:,

Alu.

alucard339
06-15-2008, 01:03 AM
The rivers are done. :)

I'm still not sure about the forests. Any advices:?:

The orange-brow lake is where the meteor that cause the disease crashed.

jfrazierjr
06-15-2008, 01:15 AM
The rivers are done. :)

I'm still not sure about the forests. Any advices:?:

The orange-brow lake is where the meteor that cause the disease crashed.

Like the colors. LOVE the neat subtle woodcut style shallows around the shores.

As for the forests, try the technique Danchops did for his forests using plasma. he has a mini tut in a thread somewhere in the past 2-3 weeks.

Joe

Midgardsormr
06-15-2008, 01:19 AM
I like the forest texture quite a bit. The color is a bit bright for my taste, but that may just be me. I also like your shaded relief quite a bit.

I wonder if you could just paint a little bit of shadow over the rivers where they pass through the forests, so it looks like they're not running on top of the trees. Just a hint of darkness on the border between trees and river would sell it, I think.

Midgardsormr
06-15-2008, 01:22 AM
As for the forests, try the technique Danchops did for his forests using plasma.

I'm not sure the plasma technique is a good idea here, since the mountains are shaded, and the forests run up their sides. Plasma would give a color variation that's too random and disrupt the elevation illusion.

alucard339
06-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Tx guys,

About the river I was going to pu some more shadow where is needed, once I finish with the forest.

I think for now I'll leave the forest like that for now (until I get a good idea or time to spare) and I will now focus on the towns and story of this map.

Sea-U-Hall,
Alu.

alucard339
06-16-2008, 07:32 PM
here is the finish version of the land unless some off you get good advice.

next will come the story and the naming process.

Alu.

### Latest WIP ###

alucard339
07-04-2008, 09:41 AM
I've just finish naming the human towns of the map.

Tell me what you think of it.

Thanks,
Alu.

Steel General
07-04-2008, 11:09 AM
Some of the names are great (and I love the map), some I'm not so fond of, but hey it's your map.

One thing I've tried to do when naming towns, etc. is to consider the people of the area and their heritage and what kind of language they might speak. If its say a "viking-like" background, maybe you try to lean a bit toward scandanavian-ish sounding names. If its more middle-eastern perhaps you loosely base it on arabic names.

Just some ideas.

alucard339
07-04-2008, 12:54 PM
One thing I've tried to do when naming towns, etc. is to consider the people of the area and their heritage and what kind of language they might speak. If its say a "viking-like" background, maybe you try to lean a bit toward scandanavian-ish sounding names. If its more middle-eastern perhaps you loosely base it on arabic names.

Ur right about the heritage background. Right now I'm trying to put upt he story for the map soIt may help you guys tell me which names to change or upgrade to put on the map.

For now just think about this:

In the beginning, the human nation of ROAM where living in MOAB but htey had to flee once the plague started. Now MOAB is a undead region.

alucard339
07-04-2008, 04:16 PM
Here is an unfinish part of my country story.

Hope you enjoy the treat,
Alu.

Steel General
07-04-2008, 06:50 PM
Here is an unfinish part of my country story.

Hope you enjoy the treat,
Alu.

Not bad...the fertility goddess could be Iridala, and the plague causing deity, Tykhoor, see the WIKI for more inf on these goddesses. They could also have local alias' if you prefer different names.

Redrobes
07-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Love the map - haven't read the doc yet... busy busy as usual. Maps come a long way from the version I have in the thumb tile. I must update those so remind me if I forget !

industrygothica
07-04-2008, 10:08 PM
Love the map - haven't read the doc yet... busy busy as usual. Maps come a long way from the version I have in the thumb tile. I must update those so remind me if I forget !

Would you mind throwing a link to that on the wiki when you get time as well? There's a brand new Project Overview page that it'd go perfectly on.

alucard339
07-06-2008, 11:29 AM
Here is the part1 (the Roam land) of my country in a pre-finish version.

Read it, and then tell me what you think and what should be change. :?:

If put in a small description of every cities so if someone want to map them he will have an idea on where to start. They are all free game. Also the description is in most case subjective to what I thought at the moment of its creation but can be change.

Also any correction on the text would be welcome, because I'm too tired right now to find any error on the text.

NOTE: name for the ocean would be welcome ;)

Thank you,
Alu.

alucard339
07-26-2008, 05:01 PM
Here is the maybe final version of my whole land. I've just finish the undead county of Ash Coast. Tell me what you think about the new color and labeling of the towns. And tell me also If I made some errors of if you got an upgrade sugestion.

The undead story and town description should follow in the next week.

Since no one as post a comment about the human story, I guess its mean that it is good like that.

Thanks,
Alu.

Redrobes
07-26-2008, 06:56 PM
Fabulous. Gotta be the most colorful map in Ansium and I thought Neons was pretty vivid. I will update Ansium and also create a new region on the world map to contain Roam and make sure that I don't lose that nice bit.

alucard339
07-27-2008, 12:06 AM
Thanks RR.

The only thing missing would be a compass and a scale bar, but can some one give me the grid size I should use here, cause I can't figure the good one for all our maps.

Sea-U-Hall A-Round a dead Table,
Alu.

alucard339
08-18-2008, 07:54 AM
Here is a part of the undead region known to human as Moab, but to the undead as Baom.

First, the maps : I've put up a map with no names on it to get the real view of the land. Then I reput in the original maps because some names have been changed or corrected. Lastly is the Map from the undead point of view.

I've had this idea that since they are undead, they still do speak but it more unspeaks really: they only flip all the word upside down. Just tell me if you like this idea.

No I've also work on the .doc file for the tourism guild of the country, but now I'm kind of stuck with the town and village description. So if any of you got idea, feel free to join in (Thanks in advance).

The lakes and woods description of Baom will be put on in a few days with more towns (I hope).

Sea-U-Hall,
Alu.

Ascension
08-18-2008, 06:26 PM
These maps are well done and cool. I'm not wild about the water but that's just me, the land is superb. Interesting theory about making the words backwards but I notice that the syntax remains normal...ie Green River became Neerg Revir. I've never personally met a liche but wouldn't they speak and spell normally since the magic requires that things be said in a certain way and words be the same? I dunno, interesting idea and it's your world so if they want to write the words upside down or backwards then that's fine by me, I think way too much anyhow :) Personally, I didn't know they knew anything but "Braiiinnsss, hungry, need brains!"

DarkOne
09-28-2008, 03:18 AM
Hi alucard, I see you did implement part of the undead empire already. :)

Any additional useful information I should know for completing the undead empire that spans through area 1 to 3.

industrygothica
02-22-2009, 11:10 AM
Is this area still being developed? Maybe you've already worked this out with Neon Knight and I haven't found it, but just in case:

You've extended your boundaries into Neon's area (area 6) by a good chunk.

I'm also a bit concerned about all the undead in the region being so close to other heavily populated areas both in the Thanelands and in the Thrubmorton Fens. I can't imagine that Krazy Krull would let that go on for too long... ;)

-IG

Redrobes
02-22-2009, 11:17 AM
:idea: Spectral Lizard Men... whoah, now your talkin'.

alucard339
04-16-2009, 01:21 PM
Is this area still being developed? Maybe you've already worked this out with Neon Knight and I haven't found it, but just in case:

You've extended your boundaries into Neon's area (area 6) by a good chunk.

I'm also a bit concerned about all the undead in the region being so close to other heavily populated areas both in the Thanelands and in the Thrubmorton Fens. I can't imagine that Krazy Krull would let that go on for too long... ;)

-IG

Sorry for the very big delay, but I was away for the past month with no easy access to internet or even computer.

I'll be leaving for Afghanistan befor the end of the month and ther I should have time to spend on the map.

I know I still haven correct the the situation with my neighbourhood but just take into account that their maps should be the good one (at least for now).

As for the undead problem, they conscentrate mainly on killing the peoples from the island of ROAM.