PDA

View Full Version : Village of Nova

Carnifex
01-10-2013, 03:53 PM
This map started as a way to find new ways to do villages and town. The village kind of grew uncontrolled until it was ready. I think this is actually my first village/town map I've made on a computer :)

The map is made in Photoshop, consists of about 100 layers and is almost fully editable (with layer styles and adjustment layers etc). The houses are from the Dundjinni forums. The WIP-thread is located here! (http://www.cartographersguild.com/town-city-mapping/21670-new-village.html)

The village of Nova and the old fort
The desolate and gloomy old fort is situated in the middle of the peaceful village, surrounded by shallow water. The villagers say that the previous owner, a lunatic sage, suddenly disappeared during a stormy night about six months ago and hasn't been seen since. Some attempts has been made to enter the fort but its thick doors are still locked from inside.

Larb
01-10-2013, 04:21 PM
Wonderful stuff.

arsheesh
01-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Fantastic work; good enough for use in a Paizo or WoTC publication.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Waynan7
01-10-2013, 04:47 PM
I agree with arsheesh, Carni. Good stuff.

alanrex
01-10-2013, 05:24 PM
wowsers. very nice.

- Max -
01-10-2013, 05:43 PM
Greta stuff! Have rep :)

Carnifex
01-10-2013, 06:32 PM
Thanks alot for all the kind comments!

Kier
01-10-2013, 08:10 PM
Beautiful Map!

aquarits
01-12-2013, 09:12 PM
It is Amazing!
The village looks so natural, loved the positions of the houses and farms, nice reference to start my city maps :)

Bogie
01-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Fantastic! Great hook for a game also!
Are you going to map the interior?

Kevin Hogan
01-12-2013, 10:38 PM
Like it. Did you use a brush for the trees or what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Carnifex
01-12-2013, 10:50 PM
Like it. Did you use a brush for the trees or what?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well, the trees are from photos of real trees. I've put them together and make transparent holes in the dark areas. I fill the whole image with the trees, add some layer effects (like shadow) and then use a layer mask to erase/mask the trees where I don't want them.

Freehand 5.5
01-12-2013, 11:22 PM
Well, the trees are from photos of real trees. ...

Duh! That explains the realistic look. ;)

The map is really nice. I would love to play in that village.

Only thing I would criticize is the high number of different roof colors.
Medieval villages normally have one or two Type of roofing, depending on the available recourses.

Carnifex
01-13-2013, 08:43 AM
Duh! That explains the realistic look. ;)

The map is really nice. I would love to play in that village.

Only thing I would criticize is the high number of different roof colors.
Medieval villages normally have one or two Type of roofing, depending on the available recourses.

Yes, I know what you mean but I was also thinking of playability. I was thinking that I'd choose roof depending on the type of building - if it's a stone house I'll choose stone roof etc. That way you could also tell something about the general quality of the house - stone houses could perhaps be a little bit nicer and wood houses (with wood roof) could be more simple buildings.

Mahatatain
02-08-2013, 06:40 PM
Very nice map.

krelios
02-09-2013, 09:08 AM
Excellent job!

Monkey
02-10-2013, 05:39 AM
Great map!

foremost
02-10-2013, 12:03 PM
Cool looking map! I liked the path layout and the keep-looking building a lot. However, the forest looked a tiny bit strange, maybe add more shadow or something. Nonetheless, excellent map.

Carnifex
02-12-2013, 01:07 PM
Thanks again for all the kind comments. Please rate the map if you like it :)

PolarThebiBear
02-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Fantastic work!

Larion
02-12-2013, 07:55 PM
This is very impressive. May I ask what you did for the crops and foliage?

Carnifex
02-13-2013, 03:04 PM
This is very impressive. May I ask what you did for the crops and foliage?

Just water and love keeps 'em growing :)
Besides that I work with layers styles - often with a texture in it (the crops are made this way), shadowing etc. The trees are from Photos of real trees and I've made holes between the trees and added shadowing.

Larion
02-13-2013, 05:00 PM
Just water and love keeps 'em growing :)
Besides that I work with layers styles - often with a texture in it (the crops are made this way), shadowing etc. The trees are from Photos of real trees and I've made holes between the trees and added shadowing.

Real trees? Well that's an interesting idea, haha. I've been trying to replicate the effect for the past hour haha. I got something... passable, I guess, haha. Not quite as cool, though. Did the trees also come from Dundjinni, like the houses?

Carnifex
02-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Real trees? Well that's an interesting idea, haha. I've been trying to replicate the effect for the past hour haha. I got something... passable, I guess, haha. Not quite as cool, though. Did the trees also come from Dundjinni, like the houses?

I just collected a massive amount of photos of trees (and bushes) and put them together on one image. I will make a texture of them before I'll use them next time (so they too will make a nice layer style in Photoshop).

interfactor
02-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Beautifully done! Thanks for sharing.