PDA

View Full Version : Map for George RR Martin's 'A Song of Ice and Fire', requesting critique and help

galanix
01-13-2013, 01:09 AM
I am making a world map based on George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series (aka A Game of Thrones HBO series). They published official maps of this fantasy world a few months ago in poster form (http://www.amazon.com/The-Lands-Fire-Game-Thrones/dp/0345538544/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1358051952&sr=8-1&keywords=lands+of+ice+and+fire). That is what I am using for reference.

I want to do a complete vector-based map with hopes of making it into an interactive Java applet with pan/zoom functionality and toggleable layers. I did something quite similar to this a few months ago, only I made it as a Flash based app. You can see it here (https://sites.google.com/site/galanixgallery/home). In this updated version I'm going for a different look. I don't want to use vector icons for the forests, mountains and hills like I did before.

What I could use help with is how to best depict mountains, hills, canyons, and the various terrain. Since it is entirely vector-based I can't do something like shaded relief. I don't have extensive graphic design experience, and am somewhat new to using Illustrator, so if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate an in-depth explanation or a link to a tutorial. I also welcome any critiques you might have on what I've done so far. Thanks.

Eilathen
01-13-2013, 06:45 AM
Well, if you want professional tips, ask torstan...he is the one who made the official maps you linked to above (yes, a member here on CG). Unfortunately, i can't help you with your questions, as i am not well versed in electronic map-making.

Oh and welcome to the guild!
Looking forward to seeing this project develop.

Midgardsormr
01-13-2013, 08:26 PM
I had something of the same dilemma a while back: The Wheel of Time map (http://www.bryanray.name/maps/randland.png)

I used the official map as a guide to placing very rough and low-resolution contour lines. I am not really satisfied with it, but maybe looking at it might give you a place to start.

In terms of technique, I used the pencil tool to trace freehand over a scan of Mitchell's painting, but I do have a tablet, so that wasn't as difficult as it would have been had I been drawing with a mouse.

Werthead
01-20-2013, 02:07 PM
I am making a world map based on George RR Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire series (aka A Game of Thrones HBO series). They published official maps of this fantasy world a few months ago in poster form. That is what I am using for reference.

I want to do a complete vector-based map with hopes of making it into an interactive Java applet with pan/zoom functionality and toggleable layers. I did something quite similar to this a few months ago, only I made it as a Flash based app. You can see it here. In this updated version I'm going for a different look. I don't want to use vector icons for the forests, mountains and hills like I did before.

What I could use help with is how to best depict mountains, hills, canyons, and the various terrain. Since it is entirely vector-based I can't do something like shaded relief. I don't have extensive graphic design experience, and am somewhat new to using Illustrator, so if you have any suggestions I'd appreciate an in-depth explanation or a link to a tutorial. I also welcome any critiques you might have on what I've done so far. Thanks.

An excellent map (incomplete as it is!). I've been looking for a good outline map based on the new Lands of Ice and Fire material for a while for use on the ASoIaF Wiki. Would it be okay to use a modified version of this, with credit and attribution?

wacki
06-15-2013, 03:47 PM
Any progress on this? I really want a vector based map for the series. I want to make a banner/tapestry style map printed on Linen. Thought it would be cool to have an old world style map for visual referencing of where everyone is while I watch the series. I already bought 3 yards of 60" wide linen and inkjet set for cloth.