PDA

View Full Version : The Swill

Tomalak
01-19-2013, 02:55 AM
All things have a beginning...
I have been a member here for a few years, and pop in from time to time to enjoy the beautiful & intriguing maps. Often I will assuage my boredom with mapmaking attempts of my own, but rarely do they reach the level of completion or quality necessary to keep my attention - they are just doodles. Recently, I came across HQCosThea's brown watercolor textures, labeled "free to use," and was inspired to make a new map. I am pleased with how it turned out, and have worked out some history for it. I am posting it here for your critique, in order that I may polish it up before posting it in the Finished Maps thread.

There are two versions, one with labels and one without.

Hmm... slight problem - I am having trouble with the file uploader. I am using .png images, and the system seems intuitive, but it does not seem to be uploading the file, nor do I see any error message. For now I'll host them elsewhere, but if you can help me I'd like to get them attached here properly.

Unlabeled Version (http://wordsketch.webs.com/Images/The%20Swill%20-%20Unlabeled.png) Labeled Version (http://wordsketch.webs.com/Images/The%20Swill%20-%20Labeled.png)

Thordred
01-19-2013, 04:29 AM
I found that it only works with so big a file. I could upload one of 1920px but higher then that was a problem.

It's simply too big to be uploaded via the site :)

I like your map. However I think you should make either the land or the ocean a darker color. Right now it's hard to tell which is which.

amberroberts09
01-19-2013, 04:42 AM
I agree with Thordred or else you map is god and yes welcome beck.

Tomalak
01-30-2013, 12:24 AM
I did something to lighten the sea, please let me know how it looks. I also adjusted my labels to make them clearer, but may have made them too bright, still not sure on that.

Oh yeah, and I made it small enough to fit.

Tomalak
02-03-2013, 05:52 PM
I adjusted the sea texture to be a more strident change. I'm kind of at a loss as to what to add next, but it still doesn't feel 'done.' Thoughts?