PDA

View Full Version : the City-Kingdoms of the Hareshk

vorropohaiah
01-20-2013, 08:16 AM
Hey all this is a WIP of a quickish (for me) map I'm working on at the moment. As always, the map is based in my Conworld of Elyden, though' I'm trying out a slightly different style to that which I normally do. I spent some time in particular on the typography, as it's an area I'm hoping to improve in (sea text will receive a faint border to counter the wave-lines). I settled on two clear fonts and restricted tracking to geographical features, like mountains and seas, only.

The Hareshk is a dichotomous place, its idyllic terrain and beautiful hills and grasslands forming a stark contrast to the politicking of its regions and their rulers; kings and queens and their countless lords and advisors. The place is somewhat antiquated, still holding onto traditions that the world's major power, the Korachani empire, considers to be antiquated, such as knightly traditions and feudalism. the region is renowned for its myriad flags and heraldic devices and the angelic motifs that fill its art and religion.

It's still heavily WIP, and i still need to add the hand-drawn features (cartouche in the upper left and mountains, forests,regional banners/shield designs etc). though I'll keep the thread updated with progress, of course. I'm particularly looking forward to the various shields and heraldic devices of the various regions: something I've been wanting to try for a long time now.

C&C welcome, as always.
EDIT: the scale-bar shows a total of 300-miles

- Max -
01-20-2013, 08:51 AM
Looks good so far. The corners ornaments seems a bit pixellated+blurred though.

Bogie
01-20-2013, 10:01 AM
Nice work V. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

The resolution of the map and borders looks fine on my computer, maybe it had not fully downloaded Max.

Freehand 5.5
01-20-2013, 10:47 AM
I like the torn border at the bottom.

Overall impression is solid, but personally I don't like the clean computerisch look of the
ornaments and the scale. It doesn't fit well with the phantastic content.

vorropohaiah
01-20-2013, 12:39 PM
I like the torn border at the bottom.
Thanks! I spent a while masking the layers to get it to to fit with the paper background

Overall impression is solid, but personally I don't like the clean computerisch look of the
ornaments and the scale. It doesn't fit well with the phantastic content.

Not sure what you mean. It's still wip, so some layers need noise added, though I'm not sure what you mean about about the details not being fantastical enough. There's not much that's fantastical about it

vorropohaiah
01-21-2013, 04:32 PM
not much work today due to my illness, though i moved the land around and changed the scale so we see more of the Hareshk.

here's a wip, including the cartouche (might add some more text-boxes if i can figure out where to add them)

anomiecoalition
01-21-2013, 04:36 PM
So jealous....love the tear and the overall worn look you've given the map...looking forward to seeing what text you throw in there.

Freehand 5.5
01-21-2013, 04:58 PM
The map gets better and better. Great project.

But I don't like the underlines of the mountain labels. It's from the typographical point of view always a bad solution.
And if you do have to underline something, do not let it go way over the letters at the end. And do not underline word spaces. And do not underline letters going under the baseline (what is not the case with the capitals on your map). It's generally bad typography.

Labels like the red wall and the horse gate, interfering with other map elements, should get an outline in background colour.

Thordred
01-21-2013, 04:59 PM
For a newbie like me this map looks quite finished and wonderful. What are you planning to do next to improve it?

vorropohaiah
01-21-2013, 06:20 PM
So jealous....love the tear and the overall worn look you've given the map...looking forward to seeing what text you throw in there.
thanks :) i love that tear in the base paper texture and love using it in the maps i make with the texture

And if you do have to underline something, do not let it go way over the letters at the end. And do not underline word spaces. And do not underline letters going under the baseline (what is not the case with the capitals on your map). It's generally bad typography.

Labels like the red wall and the horse gate, interfering with other map elements, should get an outline in background colour.
yeah, the underline going on after the end of the words is a result of the tracking i used to space them, and will be deleting them. and also, since posting this update i've gone on and added a faint white stroke to certain labels, such as seas and others.

For a newbie like me this map looks quite finished and wonderful. What are you planning to do next to improve it?
quite a lot actually! the cartouche is still empty. i also need to add mountains, trees, more borders, a lot more labels, trade-routes and roads, as well as shields and heraldic devices for the many regions and territories. i should be starting on the latter tomorrow.

Thordred
01-21-2013, 06:49 PM
I had a simular reaction to a map -Max- is working on when I read that:

I suppose I'm still not used to the amount of talent and skill that so many have in this community :)

- Max -
01-21-2013, 06:56 PM
I have this paper texture too ;) That's a great one! ANd yea still a lot of job to do but really good job so far :)

Will Brawner
01-21-2013, 10:20 PM
Looks awesome. I look forward to seeing the next edition.

AntonioFrade
01-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Great job!
I like the general look&feel of the map, but I donīt like the birth points of rivers. I would prefer to have a single pixel line (without the blank inside) that the abrupt birth that the have now.

vorropohaiah
01-22-2013, 03:16 PM
finished most of the labels and started work on the shields for the various fiefs. there's 38 shields to do and I've done 6 of them so far. they're pretty low-res due to the size I have to work with on the map, though persuing some real-world maps, similar things are rarely very detailed.

the stuff in the cartouche is just notes for my use and those will be replaced with a 'hand-written' key to the various shields, and, perhaps some more info (if i can fit it in).

- Max -
01-22-2013, 03:22 PM
Looks good but be careful, some elements of the shields looks stretched (especially the fleur de lys)

vorropohaiah
01-23-2013, 11:40 AM
been carrying on with the shields. took me most of the day :s yes i'm that slow...

Freehand 5.5
01-23-2013, 02:45 PM
maybe slow - but nice.

- Max -
01-23-2013, 03:31 PM
I agree. Who cares if it's slow or not, it's nice ;)

vorropohaiah
01-25-2013, 01:15 AM
I'm getting stuck on the cartouche design. I want to incorporate the shields from the map and add the names of the fiefs and their rulers, perhaps a bit of regional history, though don't have much room. historically such maps would just employ really small text in a bid to fit everything in, but that just compromises legibility, though might add to character. not sure how to go about this.

i'm thinking of a few mock-ups and posting them here to get some feedback later on today/tomorrow

- Max -
01-25-2013, 03:36 AM
Cna't wait to see it :)

vorropohaiah
01-25-2013, 05:48 PM
Ok, so i got a bit carried away with the heraldry:

A few pointers on some of the emblems that appear in the shields:
Angel/wing: the region's deity is an angelic figure that appeared around 1500-years ago to a shepherd-girl, who is now revered as her prophetess.
Hourglass: a relic said to have belonged to an avatar of the angelic figure, now carried by a missionary of the faith.
Skulls: a chthonic demigoddess of death common to this and other regions; the skull is a common emblem and appears in design motifs of areas that venerate her.
Pastoral devices: the Hareshk is an uncharacteristically idyllic land, with verdant hills and fertile farmland and as such, many of its fiefs bear pastoral emblems - livestock, seafood, wheat, scythes, sickles etc.

Other devices are more closely associated with their respective fiefs and have little bearing on the region's personality as a whole.

I only need 38 shields for the map, though I'm having so much fun making these that I'll probably make some more, at least 10-more, as i continue fleshing out the region and come up with more historical events or characteristics that i can depict on the shields. I'll then pick my favourite ones (with the aid my my girlfriend! time to give her something to do...)

- Max -
01-25-2013, 06:16 PM
Very nice job!

Vellum
01-25-2013, 06:21 PM
Nice variety there, you need to get carried away a bit more! map is looking good also.

Freehand 5.5
01-26-2013, 02:25 AM
Great deal of heraldic work.
The crowns above the shields could be in different colours to indicate official alliances (or could be other things like an animal head, antlers, horns or the like).

vorropohaiah
01-26-2013, 12:08 PM
Great deal of heraldic work.
The crowns above the shields could be in different colours to indicate official alliances (or could be other things like an animal head, antlers, horns or the like).

the animal heads would be part of the 'grand achievement', which includes the coat of arms, and flanking supporters, motto, with the helmet above (sometimes with a crest). the crowns on these shields are used to denote which of the fiefs owe fealty to the King of Hareshk, in Caria (there are a few shields without crowns: these rogue states that have recently defected with the western empire). the crown of Edicule, for instance, has seven-points: representing the seven nations of the Korachani empire, to which it is now a vassal). and other boring background stuff :)

however... you're right about the black crown being a bit bland, so i'll probably change some of them around, for variation's sake.

Here's some more progress. i spent most of today reshaping the map, adding the 'fief cartouches' to the flanks of the map. all that's left now is the text in the three cartouches and the forests/mountains, and i can probably call this one done. I'm quite pleased with this one so-far, though I'm sure there's lots of tinkering left to be done :)

Edit: just spotted a double shield! Must fix!

- Max -
01-27-2013, 03:53 PM
Looking good so far. I guess you're going to work on the right and left cartouches names since they don't seem to be lined up with the shields?

Schwarzkreuz
01-27-2013, 04:56 PM
Your country borders which overlap rivers are confusing, I cant see when they overlap a river and when not. I would prefer them to run alongside the river instead of over them. Am I the only one who is confused by this?

Nathan Graham Holloway
01-27-2013, 05:09 PM
What programme did u use to do this? also, have u any tips please? If my map is 1% as good as urs, I'd be overjoyed. A superb job , well done

vorropohaiah
01-28-2013, 02:10 AM
Looking good so far. I guess you're going to work on the right and left cartouches names since they don't seem to be lined up with the shields?
of course, im almost finished with them. hopefully i can call the map finished by thursday, as im going on holiday then and wanted to place an oder for a printed version that should be delivered by the time i get back :)

Your country borders which overlap rivers are confusing, I cant see when they overlap a river and when not. I would prefer them to run alongside the river instead of over them. Am I the only one who is confused by this?
very true, that was one of the things I was looking at fixing though I have a problem with rivers and borders, and what style i should use. Though i was certainly thinking of moving them beside the river, whany suggestions?

What programme did use to do this? also, have you any tips please? If my map is 1% as good as yours, I'd be overjoyed. A superb job , well done
Thanks :) well it was made in Photoshop CS5, though I don't think I did anything with it that can't be dome with gimp. if i have one tip for a map you want to look as though was hand-made, it's make sure your lines arent too straight, otherwise they tent to look very computery, which is certainly not what you want. i use a filter to try and distort lines a bit

arsheesh
01-30-2013, 04:19 AM
Oh man, this map is looking fantastic so far V. I could see this one being featured on the front page once it's finished. Here's a bit of rep.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

vorropohaiah
01-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Here's a quick update on the map - getting close to finished now. started work on the mountains and highlighting them. I'll follow up with trees and wetlands and other features. I'll probably scrap the cartouche design, though keep a cartouche in the upper left corner, though in a more classical style. Might also check the typography to see if i can come up with anything more pleasing, though I'm happy with the text outside the borders, describing the shields (i'll probably keep that font for the cartouche)

TheHoarseWhisperer
01-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Very much liking the mountains. Your own drawings?

vorropohaiah
01-31-2013, 02:09 AM
Very much liking the mountains. Your own drawings?

thanks, yeah they're mine. i created them for the Elyden (http://www.cartographersguild.com/cartographers-choice/20147-high-empire-korachan-inner-sea-vorropohaiah.html) map i created. i really wanted to try make some new mountain brushes though thought id try these out to see if they fit and they seem to be ok. So i'll stick with these.

- Max -
01-31-2013, 03:11 AM
Of course these mountains fit well but overall the map is very similar to Elyden's one. Maybe this was done in purpose?

Freehand 5.5
01-31-2013, 04:23 AM
The map gets better and better.

I love all these heraldic signs and the border with the explanation. It's a really great job.

I would put the degrees inside the map. For me they look a bit displaced on the rim side of the heraldry boxes.

The labels are a bit undisciplined over all. They are set in different distances to the city points.
So you could have an eye on it, that letters don't interfere with the longitudes.

Mountain labels outlines could be a bit stronger.

vorropohaiah
01-31-2013, 05:53 AM
Of course these mountains fit well but overall the map is very similar to Elyden's one. Maybe this was done in purpose?
not intentionally. If anything i want to try and move away from this style, if anything, just to try something different. its not exactly the same, though granted, it is very similar. Hopefully, the next one...

I would put the degrees inside the map. For me they look a bit displaced on the rim side of the heraldry boxes.

The labels are a bit undisciplined over all. They are set in different distances to the city points.
So you could have an eye on it, that letters don't interfere with the longitudes.
I'm actually looking at these at the moment. Probably better putting the graticules inside, and I'm trying to move the text to get it more legible and stroking it (hehe) to make it more legible around coastlines and mountains. I'm also going to try draw a proper old-school-style graticule and map symbols, though we'll see...

- Max -
01-31-2013, 06:15 AM
I guess most of all have tendencies to stick with our favorite style that makes some our maps similar :D

Lyandra
02-07-2013, 06:32 PM
Awesome map! :)

Freehand 5.5
02-07-2013, 07:18 PM
... and stroking it (hehe) to make it more legible...

What does mean stroking in that case?

vorropohaiah
02-12-2013, 01:45 PM
What does mean stroking in that case?

probably best not to say :)

Well the map is getting close to finished now. I spent quite some time coming up with the cartouche ( i really need to start managing my time better - I spent the better part of the day working on it and was hoping to get it done in far less time than that). I just need to add the forests and other grassy features like marshes, maybe; and if manage I'll try to brainstorm some city symbols since I'm not altogether pleased with the current ones, as they're rather boring.

- Max -
02-12-2013, 02:47 PM
Looks like another fine piece of your own, with that kind of old 17th century touch I like! :) Only thing that isn't that much comfortable to my eyes is some towns/locations labels that aren't clearly readables on mountains and the curved underlined labels (not a great fan of them). Great work though, I'm waiting for the finished map to give the rep it deserves ;) !

vorropohaiah
02-13-2013, 05:52 PM
I'm calling this one finished and have now posted a finished thread in the appropriately-titled finished maps part of the site, which can be found here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/22291-finished-city-kingdoms-har%E9shk.html#post208070).

cjs0216
02-16-2013, 12:32 AM
Awesome map...how do you get the hash lines you have on the coasts?

vorropohaiah
02-16-2013, 02:43 AM
Awesome map...how do you get the hash lines you have on the coasts?

its just a pattern, with a selection made from the coastline expanded, feathered and inverted, and deleted from the pattern layer, leaving a certain amount of waves. it took a abit of tinkering to get it the way i waned

Lyandra
02-18-2013, 01:51 AM
That one is certainly amazing vorropohaiah! Simply beautiful! :)

Naeddyr
02-18-2013, 03:46 AM
What can I say? It is good. It is really good.

bartmoss
02-18-2013, 05:08 AM
Awesome work.

usbfc
04-26-2013, 03:09 PM
Excellent map. Love the style!

The_Jachal
07-09-2013, 04:24 PM
This one goes to my drawing board as an end goal...

Klaus van der Kroft
07-09-2013, 07:26 PM
Truly magnificent!

I tried to like it twice, but it kept deleting my like. So I had to like it thrice.