PDA

View Full Version : How do I make a concentric coastline effect?

rinne
01-21-2013, 10:41 PM
I'm Rinne. Hello, everyone. :'3

As mentioned in the thread title, I have a question. How would one go about making similar effects to those found along the coastlines of this map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/21528-western-arnonas.html), specifically the little dashed lines? I like how it looks and am trying to replicate it in a map I'm currently working on, but I'm not that experienced with Photoshop so I wouldn't know. (I've attached an image as reference.) Thank you in advance!

http://i.imgur.com/2u0yL5h.png

amberroberts09
01-22-2013, 05:21 AM
Welcome to the forum. Sorry can't solve your question.

sai
02-12-2013, 09:11 AM
Check out this tutorial at the 5:52 mark:

Fantasy Cartography with Adobe Photoshop #14 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGIwB0rywZ0)

It's basically a stroked selection with noise to break up the lines.

mystic badger
02-12-2013, 12:14 PM
I Had the same question in my mind. Thanks !

Larb
02-12-2013, 01:59 PM
Basically with your landmass selected, you are expanding the selection by X number of pixels, stroking it, expanding it again, stroking it again, etc (that's how I do it anyway). don't forget to use the smooth selection option to prevent to looking squarish as it expands further out.

Sharpes
04-01-2013, 08:50 AM
Yeah, I'm having a similar problem with this as well (using CS5). Once I've selected my coast outline with my magic wand tool, used edit>stroke and then expanded it I get the parallel lines but I also get it internally on the land as well. How do you ensure that when you use stroke you only get the water side of the coast? (apologies if this has been asked elsewhere!)

Arandil
04-03-2013, 04:18 PM
Mask the layer that you only want to affect, then work your operation within that mask.

Sharpes
04-12-2013, 07:06 AM
Ok, and how do I do that with the layer I want to affect? I've got my background layer and another layer with a black outline of my island but not sure what to do from there :S (PS noobie here =/)

Chashio
04-12-2013, 09:54 AM
@Sharpes: With the magic wand tool (with contiguous setting checked at top) select your water and invert the selection (from the menu bar under Select > Inverse or use the keypad: Ctrl+Shift+I). Then make a new layer and fill your selection with white or any color, then set the layer Fill % to 0% (in the layers panel underneath the opacity %). Do your strokes on that layer. There are actually a number of ways to stroke it. You might like this set of actions I created to speed up the process: Photoshop Actions: Fading parallel Coastal Lines for Oceans and Lakes (http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/19468-brushes-etc-chashio.html#post211921) If you need any additional help, just ask.

And here's a quick tutorial for creating a fading stroke effect using the OuterGlow layer effect: Fading parallel coastal lines with OuterGlow (http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachments/how-do-i/53324d1365228350-lines-off-set-parallel-photoshop-tutorial-fading-parallel-coastal-lines-w-outerglow.jpg)

Sharpes
04-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Thanks Chashio, those actions seemed to have done the trick. :D How do I then make some of the lines more jagged? For e.g. I have some tiny islands with circles around them and would like to make the shape a bit more organic. (I guess now I'm after something more specific rather than the whole map.) :)

Chashio
04-12-2013, 01:56 PM
You could:
- Create a mask for the layer with the stroke lines (open the Masks panel and click the left square button in the upper right corner; hovering will show the text: Add a pixel mask).

- Fill the mask with a pattern (keypad: Shift+F5 to bring up the fill panel). If you don't have any decent patterns already loaded then append the Artist Surfaces set.

- Go back to the Masks panel and click on Mask Edge to refine the settings. Adjust them to your liking.

- You can duplicate the layer to make it darker (right-click on the layer in the Layers panel, not on the image previews, and select Duplicate Layer...
- If it's too crisp for your liking then you can either blur the layer or its mask or adjust the mask settings to suit (smooth/feather).
- If you only want to grunge up a specific area of the layer, you can either use a grungy brush on the blank mask (first step: create a mask, second step: grungy brush with black paint on the mask in the area you want to stress) or you could brush with white paint on the pattern-filled mask in the areas which you don't want grungy (set your history point in the History panel before you start painting so you can use the history brush tool to UN-erase if need be).

Hope that helps.

Sharpes
06-15-2013, 11:04 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you Chashio. Just wanted to say this worked great. Thanks! :)

Chashio
06-17-2013, 04:06 PM
Sorry I didn't get back to you Chashio. Just wanted to say this worked great. Thanks! :)

I'm glad :)