PDA

View Full Version : Kingdom-maker

MysticMagellan
01-23-2013, 01:24 AM
It's been a while since I've had the chance to flex my creative cartography muscles and share ideas with the guild, but I've been working on a project I think might be interesting for some of you.

Last year I began running the Kingmaker Pathfinder Adventure Path. But rather than use the world setting of Golarion I decided instead to incorporate and modify the campaign to exist within a game world I created myself a while back for my players. I initially wanted to find a region within my world that would suit the plot of the adventure path, but ended up modifying that a bit as well, but I am posting here to talk mainly about the cartography work I've been doing. If you would like to follow the campaign, I have it on Obsidian Portal HERE (http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaigns/touch-of-fey-kingmaker-campaign).

Now to the maps.

First off, the Region. I created this map a few years ago. It is pretty simple, and I still like it, but I'd like to think I've gotten a bit better since.

MysticMagellan
01-23-2013, 01:50 AM
In my previous campaign I established an enchanted forest called the Feralwood along the western coast. It was a good match for the Stolen Lands of the Kingmaker adventure path, so I decided to give that area a facelift.

I also needed to designate the boundaries of the four chartered regions in the area, and followed some natural landmarks to to aid me in doing so.

MysticMagellan
01-23-2013, 01:58 AM
I determined that the region of The Greenbelt would be best for the players to claim as their charter, and set to work creating a blowup, complete with a hexmap overlay for kingdom exploration and development.

The campaign is about 7 months old now, and about 10 months have passed in-game, leaving the current map looking like the following.

vorropohaiah
01-23-2013, 02:40 AM
that's pretty cool. what have the players discovered so far? :)

amberroberts09
01-23-2013, 06:38 AM
That's really good and awesome...!!!

Mr_potato_head
01-23-2013, 05:29 PM
that's pretty cool. what have the players discovered so far? :)

I'd be kinda curious also. Do you have any maps that are closer in to where they are currently exploring?

Diamond
01-23-2013, 08:30 PM
I actually really like the first map you posted. What's the font you used there?

MysticMagellan
01-24-2013, 12:16 PM
I actually really like the first map you posted. What's the font you used there?

I will try to find out, but it is an old file, and I'm not sure my current computer has them, but I'm pretty sure it is a mix of a couple different fonts.

MysticMagellan
01-24-2013, 01:40 PM
I'd be kinda curious also. Do you have any maps that are closer in to where they are currently exploring?

I have also posted a WIP map of the capital city they are building in the city thread.

I plan to create city maps for other cities they build or annex.

I also am in the process of creating a hand drawn map of the northern area of the Greenbelt, shown to them by another group of explorers they encounter. I will scan that in and post it here as well.