PDA

View Full Version : Gaudy style - Continent of Sinilor

Sapiento
01-26-2013, 07:33 AM
A new map in what I would call 'gaudy style', (inspired by a post by AslanC, where he referenced a similar map).

Most elements I have already created and I like them. Now I will do the city icons and have prepared 4 different possibilities.
1. Dark outline multi-coloured
2. Bright outline and multi-coloured
3. Monochrome shaded
4. Multi-coloured shaded

For the last two styles I deleted the doors etc instead of painting them.

Comments and critiques?

- Max -
01-26-2013, 07:52 AM
Really nice start. Your background texture is great. A comment on the forests shadows: On some forests we can see a very little gap between shadow on forest, maybe you should stick them very close to the trees. Hard to say now for the icons, we probably have to see them on the map but as they are, I like the 3 and 4 (not sure 2 will fit the map style)

Diamond
01-26-2013, 03:33 PM
I think I like #1 the best of the city designs. #4 could work too, depending on how much '3D' there is on the rest of the map.

vorropohaiah
01-26-2013, 04:25 PM
2 is to jarring though 4 and 3 are nice, particularly 3. A quick tut on how you made them would be most welcome!

Sapiento
01-27-2013, 02:31 AM
2 is to jarring though 4 and 3 are nice, particularly 3. A quick tut on how you made them would be most welcome!

Very quick tutorial.

Sapiento
01-27-2013, 02:37 AM
I guess city style 2 won't make it.

In the meantime I have worked on the coasts.

Freehand 5.5
01-27-2013, 03:49 AM
That's a nice and entertaining map.
I like the #4 cities most because you will be able to get regional style into their look.
I don't like the white line on the mountains. Maybe they fit in the farest north but on the rest of the map they look out of place.

Sapiento
01-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Maybe I work on the white lines of the mountains.
Some deco added.

Sapiento
01-28-2013, 08:20 AM
First idea for a border style.
I'm not completely satisfied with this, however, I think it clashes with the overall style of the map. Maybe a more stylized border?

- Max -
01-28-2013, 08:43 AM
I agree. The border (especially tree or root thing idk and the header title) doesn't really match. I would gibe a try at more stylized one. Mayne something in a similar syle of compass?

Larb
01-28-2013, 10:23 AM
I'm not sure if the border suits this map but I do like the design. I think it would work better for a map had a less gaudy and overall red-yellow colour scheme.

Sapiento
01-28-2013, 10:49 AM
I agree. The border (especially tree or root thing idk and the header title) doesn't really match. I would gibe a try at more stylized one. Mayne something in a similar syle of compass?

I'm not sure if the border suits this map but I do like the design. I think it would work better for a map had a less gaudy and overall red-yellow colour scheme.

This matches my own concern about the border. I will go for another style, maybe some ornaments.

- Max -
01-28-2013, 11:02 AM
My humble advice would be to don't make a too shopisticated border in order that ornaments keep this kind of ancient/primary feel the map gives ( hmm sorry sometimes hard to explain things in english)

Sapiento
01-29-2013, 02:11 AM
My humble advice would be to don't make a too shopisticated border in order that ornaments keep this kind of ancient/primary feel the map gives ( hmm sorry sometimes hard to explain things in english)

I understand what you mean.

Sapiento
01-29-2013, 11:13 AM
I added the city icons and a compass. The calligraphy is an old court script, no longer in use for day-to-day writing and hardly understood even by most scholars of this fantasy world.

Sapiento
01-31-2013, 02:04 AM
Coat of Arms added.

- Max -
01-31-2013, 03:16 AM
Seems I missed a few updates. Nice job...but when looking at it after a few days, I just come to think that mountains don't really fit the other elements imo (especially those big ones with the withe lines)

Sapiento
01-31-2013, 03:32 AM
Seems I missed a few updates. Nice job...but when looking at it after a few days, I just come to think that mountains don't really fit the other elements imo (especially those big ones with the withe lines)

Very interesting; the white lines are what I like most at this style due to the strong contrast. Matter of taste, I guess. Nevertheless, I will try other colours for the southern mountain ranges.

Freehand 5.5
01-31-2013, 04:10 AM
Nice design. I love that look.

The cities just fade to the background while these mountains flash forward with the white lines.
If this map should be all about mountains, it would be a good design approach. But I think that isn't the case.
I've got the impression this map is more about political interests (heraldry), so the cities colours should be more distinguishable.

And it would be nicer if the lables follow the form of mountains. Straight as they are they look a bit clumsy.
Yes I know that curved lables are more work. :)

Sapiento
01-31-2013, 06:41 AM
Nice design. I love that look.

The cities just fade to the background while these mountains flash forward with the white lines.
If this map should be all about mountains, it would be a good design approach. But I think that isn't the case.
I've got the impression this map is more about political interests (heraldry), so the cities colours should be more distinguishable.

And it would be nicer if the lables follow the form of mountains. Straight as they are they look a bit clumsy.
Yes I know that curved lables are more work. :)

Good remark about the cities.

The labels are far from finished at the moment.

Sapiento
01-31-2013, 07:09 AM
I placed a soft outer glow around the cities and use a different colour scheme for the mountain lines.

Freehand 5.5
01-31-2013, 07:29 AM
Yeah, that's better.

But still I have to say something about line art.
The mountain line art might look more elegantly if it doesn't end in full strength but gets a long fine tip at the base of the mountains.
And at last the style of the mountains do not fit to the hill's style. I would do it in similar style because hills are the little brothers of mountains.
Same family should have related genes. ;)

- Max -
01-31-2013, 08:26 AM
I have to agree with Freehand about the hills. Btw the mountains are way better like this imo :)
For the cities I'll see when you put labels on it. It's earlier to say if it's ok or not ;)

Sapiento
01-31-2013, 09:12 AM
Yeah, that's better.

But still I have to say something about line art.
The mountain line art might look more elegantly if it doesn't end in full strength but gets a long fine tip at the base of the mountains.
And at last the style of the mountains do not fit to the hill's style. I would do it in similar style because hills are the little brothers of mountains.
Same family should have related genes. ;)

Yes, the hills gave me some headache already, that's the third style I've put on this mad.
I used a PS artistic paint brush to draw the mountain lines to give them a more dominant, 'painted' impression. I had never the intention to use a thin hard round brush as I would do with other styles.

Sapiento
02-07-2013, 07:46 AM
I had finally time to replace the hills.

- Max -
02-07-2013, 08:18 AM
They looks good and fit better :)

Freehand 5.5
02-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Ah, these hills look cute. Way better!

If you have them in a separate layer you could try to give their colour just a bit of a touch of the mountains blue. Don't know. Just an idea to get them even more integrated with the mountains.
... or you could try to give the mountains a similar accented highlighting as the hills.

DEMurray
02-07-2013, 01:27 PM
I like your work here! Its got a very ... Oriental flavour to it! Which is, perhaps, the overall point!

I'm going to be a bit picky and mention two possible typos ... "Gildean Ocan" possibly should read "Gildean Ocean", and perhaps "Seo of Mrol" should be "Sea of Mrol"? :D

If I may, also ... "The Frozen Sea" appears on this map to be no different than any other of the oceanic water on the map. There could be any number of good reasons for that ... However, if its going to have the globally known (presumably) appellation of 'Frozen Sea' then wouldn't the map-makers show it as such?

I mean no offence in being persnickety - I'm only at the working out how the hell digital map production works - and hope that you take it as constructive comment!

Zarylin
02-07-2013, 03:11 PM
That's a pretty map! I personally thought the white mountain lines were fine, but the darker lines look good too. I agree on either coloring the hills or making the mountains look slightly more raised. Right now I kind of get the impression that the hills are taller than the mountains are.

Also, I love the results you've gotten with your cities, and using a small group of pre-drawn buildings to group into slightly larger pre-drawn cities is a great idea. I'll be following that tutorial to try making some of my own I think, thanks!

Sapiento
02-08-2013, 01:55 AM
Thank you, guys! I'll work on the mountains.

@DEMurray: thank you for hints.

Will Brawner
02-11-2013, 09:29 PM
Looks great. Definitely has the authentic antique feel. I like the border a lot, and I think the waves really help. But I can't help but feeling that the ocean should be bluer. But that's just me.

Sapiento
02-13-2013, 01:58 AM
City names added, icebergs and more light on the mountains' sunny side.

- Max -
02-13-2013, 04:00 AM
Hmmm....Soryy Sapiento but cities labels aren't readables. I think it's the black outline that kill it.

Sapiento
02-13-2013, 04:47 AM
I had assumed that the smaller size (that's around 60% of the original size) could be problematic with black strokes.

- Max -
02-13-2013, 07:01 AM
Way better :)