PDA

View Full Version : RL Map!

torstan
06-07-2008, 02:09 PM
I'm sketching out a map for a wedding invite (yes, mine) and thought I'd post it here for fun and comments. C&C welcome!

Torq
06-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Big Congrats Torstan! I assume the members of the Cartographers Guild will be receiving out invitations electronically then? ;)

Torq

Midgardsormr
06-07-2008, 02:28 PM
Congratulations! The map is clear and attractive. The kerning on your font gets a little crazy in places, especially the word "Ring" at the top. The ing are very close together, and the leg of the R pushes it away from the rest of the word. Add the road running right through that gap, and it just looks peculiar.

You may want to add a compass just in case someone gets turned around and doesn't know the local geography well.

jaerdaph
06-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Congratulations on the upcoming nuptuals!

Arkkeeper
06-07-2008, 05:55 PM
Will there be Cake?

SeerBlue
06-07-2008, 11:54 PM
I haven't been to Oxford in nearly 20 years, and I could follow your map, but then again I got knocked off my bike at the Charlbury and Linton RD junction the last time I was there, so it kind of sticks out, perhaps I shouldn't have had 2 Mann's Ales with my cheese.

Congratulations, and be careful crossing the road, I am sure that red head is still out there. SeerBlue

torstan
06-08-2008, 08:58 AM
Thanks all for the congrats and the comments. Yes there will be cake, and of course the invitations are in the electronic post (cough). :)

Thanks for the catch on the road going through the text. The font does have pretty strange kerning, but I rather like it. I;ve fiddled with it in a few places but in this instance I'll let it slide.

Here's an updated draft:

Seerblue - yes riding a bike in Oxford is a bit of a death trap. It's the buses you need to watch for, they're on a mission.

Redrobes
06-08-2008, 09:05 AM
Congrats Torstan. You a student / Lecturer there then ? There are some fabulous buildings and interiors around the campus its like stepping into a Harry Potter movie set.

torstan
06-08-2008, 10:36 AM
I did my undergraduate there along with my fiance so we felt it was a great place to go back to. Exeter College (our college) has a magnificent chapel based on Saint Chapel (sp?) in Paris. We're very lucky to have the chance to get married there.

Yes, the architecture is spectacular. We had Harry Potter being filmed over the back quad while we were there. It's also Tolkien's college, and the college Philip Pullman was at, and the one on which Jordan College is based. My fiance had Lyra's room in her 3rd year, so no shortage of fantasy history around college!

Redrobes
06-08-2008, 10:56 AM
That is amazing isn't it. I didn't go there but had friends there (different college tho). There is this awesome library somewhere - not the Bodlian but another which I think undergrads aren't even allowed into. I took a peek but wasn't allowed in either. It has the old candle sticks along the ends of pews / cubicles to read the books just like in old times though I don't think they light the candles there any more. I can believe that films shoot there its a real live step back in time. Even the common rooms are like working castle interiors - all the oak and chinz chairs and a real fire burning. I have been in plenty of castles but there you don't need to imagine what it must have been like.

ravells
06-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Congrats Torstan! It's really nice to see Cartography skills being used for a practical purpose!!

Shame I got married before I joined the guild - I would have liked to have drawn a map too!

Arkkeeper
06-08-2008, 05:02 PM
Actually the Cake thing was a portal joke, THE CAKE IS A LIE!!!!

DesktopDragon
06-10-2008, 01:07 PM
Congrats Torstan! The map is very well done.

RPMiller
06-10-2008, 01:41 PM
Thanks all for the congrats and the comments. Yes there will be cake, and of course the invitations are in the electronic post (cough). :)

Thanks for the catch on the road going through the text. The font does have pretty strange kerning, but I rather like it. I;ve fiddled with it in a few places but in this instance I'll let it slide.

Here's an updated draft:

Seerblue - yes riding a bike in Oxford is a bit of a death trap. It's the buses you need to watch for, they're on a mission.
A deep congratulations Torstan! This second map just feels very Torstanesque to me so I think it is a keeper. ;) :D

NeonKnight
06-10-2008, 03:12 PM
A REALLY big congrats on entering the Besieged Fortress of Marriage!

Sigurd
06-10-2008, 08:54 PM
You do know that you didn't have to get married to make an invitation map?

I mean there's dedication but ....

:)

Sigurd

The best of luck and blessings to you and your lady.

torstan
06-11-2008, 08:23 AM
Caught :)

I have to say that it was fun to draw a more modern map for something I really cared about. Also good fun to have to sketch the two locations. I'm very happy with how it turned out.

Thanks all for the good wishes. It'll be a mad couple of weeks as we're moving country twice in the same month (back to UK and then over to NYC)!

delgondahntelius
06-11-2008, 12:37 PM
Congratulations Torstan... and great map... good luck to you ... many happy years

I'd probably would have told my ol'lady that I wasn't drawing the map for the guests at the wedding... it would be for me so I could find the place and show up on time.. .or so that I wouldn't forget I was getting married that day ... lol :D