PDA

View Full Version : Kerngard - fantasy map

- Max -
02-10-2013, 05:11 PM
Hi everyone,

Here's my last map, Kerngard, asked by a game master for his new campaign setting he's going to run soon. A few words about it since the key is in french ;) : The area is a norse/viking-like fantasy land inhabited by seven main clans. Kromlegs are standed stones circles where some druidic priests get some ancient powers from gods. Kerns are known to be meghalithic stones, doors to the mythicals areas of Mispelvorn (the land between humans and gods territories), Noggs are kind of magical knots with great magical power, located at the crossroad of some telluric lines and Durngers are deep caves of an old dwarwes race whoare told to be once giants who were cursed by the gods and changed to dwarves.

Original size is 6614x4252px and as usual is a mix of hand drawn elements and digital work, along some vectors/jpgs used for embelishments. (uploaded version is a bit smaller one - 4961x3189px and a few less resolution). WIP thread here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/22094-wip-kerngard-fantasy-map.html).
I hope you will like it as much as I had satisfaction to make it.

Comments are welcome. Feel free to rate, rep or run away :)

Bogie
02-10-2013, 06:19 PM
Can't rep you again for awhile, but it is rep worthy. Great map.

TheHoarseWhisperer
02-10-2013, 06:43 PM
Another beauty Max. Nice one.

Sapiento
02-11-2013, 04:29 AM
A fine map!

aquarits
02-11-2013, 01:49 PM
i loved using cartouche info in the side of the map... u have a lots of space to detail the infos without pollute the rest of the map.
wut is that Kern? It is so nice!!

Amazing map, congrats!

- Max -
02-12-2013, 04:03 AM
Thanks much guys :)
@Aquarits : You got it about the cartouches, exactly what I wanted to do with it. Giving the informations without overloading the map. I saw many maps with little cartouches or keys, filled with a lot of informations, and I wanted to do it in a different way : huge cartouches with a lot of spaces for the informations so that you can read it easily while keeping the central map the main focused element.

- Max -
02-12-2013, 04:04 AM
*Edit* double post - sorry. Forum submit reply was acting weird

AntonioFrade
02-12-2013, 08:33 AM
Great! I like the sea/land color combination and the map symbols/rose compass. I found them very good integrated in the map.

Some Rep. added!

arsheesh
02-12-2013, 01:54 PM
Another fine piece to add to your portfolio. Lovely work!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
02-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Thanks guys, I'm glad you liked it :)

Monkey
02-13-2013, 04:05 AM
Another great one. I really like attention you give on details.

Thordred
02-13-2013, 04:54 AM
Looks great as usual! :)

Aredhel
02-14-2013, 09:59 AM
Very nice map. The colors works very well!

Ramah
02-14-2013, 10:30 AM
Very nice map. Well done. :)

- Max -
02-15-2013, 10:03 AM
Thanks much all, glad you like it :)

aquarits
02-17-2013, 04:20 PM
wut is that Kern? It is so nice!!

Still not aswered wut is a kern o.o

- Max -
02-18-2013, 11:37 AM
Aww sorry I forgot that :/

Kerns are known to be megalithic stones, doors to the mythicals areas of Mispelvorn (the land between humans and gods territories)

Does the quote answer the question or you want to know something else?

Freehand 5.5
02-24-2013, 01:06 AM
Max, I worked quite a few years in graphic design agencies. And if the team gathers to discuss the latest layouts or ideas on the project, there is allways one main question: "What is bad?"
Surely the good things are always discussed, too, but the most important point is, what can be optimized. So it's not easy to get some comments from me on something, that doesn't contain at least some minor point of critique. There is always something. In most cases, the critical points jump into my eye within seconds, because it's my job to do that.

Always? Not always. Very very few designs are what I'd call bulletproof. I look at them and can't find anything that could be made better. Then I look again and still can't find anything.

I don't know. It's only a personal opinion, but I looked at this map for quite a bunch of time and I definitely think the Kerngard map is a perfect piece of design.
So, despite the risk of being boring: It's just completely fine. I love it as it is.

nyogtha
02-25-2013, 08:54 AM
Very nice work man !

C'est une invitation à voyager/rêver l'ami, du très bon boulot de pro à mon sens... moi qui ne suis qu'amateur et joueur de jeu de rôle.
Bonne continuation

Nyogtha

- Max -
02-25-2013, 11:30 AM
@ Freehand : Thank you very much for the kind comment! And I promise, next one won't be perfect so you won't be boring by commenting it :D

@ Thanks Nyoghta. Merci, content que tu aimes. Bon voyage/rêve en Kerngard donc :)