PDA

View Full Version : Land with no name..

Troedel
02-11-2013, 05:07 PM
Hi all,

Id like to post my current progress as I fell that Ive finaly nailed style and shape of my main continent map. From here on its fiddling with details and adding them. Next up are the rivers, i think Ill give it 20 minutes :) Any CC welcome. Thanks to Ramah for border inspiration. Map is ca. a quarter of original size.

Once I wanted to name this world Tarnath, googling this name showed me the name is taken already. So Ill look for a new one. No harm done because its a place I walk by myself up to this point.

CC for myself -> mountains are much to blurred, working on it...

foremost
02-11-2013, 07:45 PM
This map is actually really interesting-looking. I was gonna mention for you to put in some rivers, but apparently that's next on the list. :)

At first I thought how the land overlaps the border in the top left corner didn't look to good, but then I reconsidered. Taking a second look, I didn't mind it too much. I await the details - I am looking forward to seeing them.

I love the color of the border. Really simple and frankly awesome. ,The dark blue of the sea is also superb. And pretty much everything else about this map is great... :)

Awesome work.

Naeddyr
02-12-2013, 08:28 AM
This is really nice. I like the composition, and the mountain style is similar to what I'm working on now. What particular method are you using?

vorropohaiah
02-12-2013, 03:07 PM
very nice land-masses with some interesting peninsulas, archipelagos and ithmuses. looking good

Troedel
02-12-2013, 05:43 PM
o.k. I made some progress getting the mountains right. Im working on the rivers but I got no solution at this moment that fits me. Perhaps I will do them the old way by hand and tablet. Thinking of new ways and walking takes much time but is fun ;) So here are the new mountains...

Tomalak
02-12-2013, 09:42 PM
This is a pretty neat map, I like how the land is broken-up but connected. You could easily use that for political borders, as well as a generation for conflict (controlling the pass equates to controling trade, etc). Looking more closely, it seems the place is rife with logical political borders, and I'm getting a mental image of a heavily balkanized region - the local tribes, cities, and kingdoms rise and fall without ever spreading more than a few inches across your map (Assuming standard paper size). And then it hits me that the title of the thread could lead to an interesting feature for the area - what if the region (or even the world) actually has no name. It could be something the locals are acutely aware of, and that as a result features heavily in their culture - one way or the other.

Anyway, nice map, looking forward to seeing more!

P.S. I am jealous of your mountains.

jfrazierjr
02-13-2013, 11:22 AM
Mountains look good... but I believe they could be even better depending upon the method and software used(though the process I am thinking of would take a decent amount of time). I THINK you may already have the right method/software as some of the mountains are really, really good while others are just so so.. almost as if you posted half finished work.

Troedel
02-13-2013, 11:54 AM
You mean work in progress... :) Right now I builded up the heightmap in PS, exported to wilbur and ran a preciption based erosion 50 times, took about 3 hours to compute. The better the build up in PS the better the erosion would be I think. I did some postwork in PS, problem is that by fiddling around its pretty easy to destroy the structure built up ( or eroded away ;) ) in Wilbur. Right now Im in the process of selectivly smothing out some rough patches in the lowlands and thinking about river placement technique as the location is pretty obvious given the landscape. Please tell me about the SoSo Mountains ( Ive got a name! ) so that I can think of a way to fix up whats needed. THX for the critic!

Troedel
02-16-2013, 07:41 AM
Ive made some progress regarding my rivers. May the police have me ( I think not... ) ;)

Naeddyr
02-16-2013, 08:19 AM
Nothing that I can spot offhand. I like the desert in the middle of the rainshadow - no rivers there. Also, the mountains are excellent.

Troedel
02-16-2013, 04:07 PM
Added the Hexenriss, some snow and a hint of forest. I dont like the forest texture really much so this will be changed, another day...

arsheesh
02-17-2013, 03:26 PM
Well the map feels a tad dark to me, but I like the land-forms and the overall style. Curious to see how this progresses.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Jhormogan
02-18-2013, 12:32 AM
Your map is excellent, especially with the chasm addition. Your mountain placement is nice, and they look even better with the latest version. Keep up the good work!

Troedel
02-18-2013, 04:46 AM
I played around with the light last night as Arsheesh suggested and must say that he is right. It looks better in a bit brighter light. As Im not done for now I will post the result later. THX to all for the critics.

Troedel
02-19-2013, 07:03 PM
More vibrance, change of texture and the starting of city layout as I needed a change of work...

arsheesh
02-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Ooh, this is shaping up very nicely Trooedel! Looking forward to the next update.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

vorropohaiah
02-19-2013, 07:28 PM
certainly much more vibrant now. looking nice

Naeddyr
02-20-2013, 03:49 AM
I approve, too.

TheHoarseWhisperer
02-20-2013, 03:52 AM
I like the colour palette. Good work.

General Brewster
02-20-2013, 08:41 PM
This is so beautiful! I wish I could make this !

Troedel
02-23-2013, 10:12 AM
So the labeling has progressed pretty far, not sure if it stays like this. The city symbols could change ( all smart objects so it would be on the fly ... ;) ). But I think Ive reached a solid working basis. The name of the map is our homebrew game system I made the map for. Its more a hobby than something to be shown ;)

Naeddyr
02-23-2013, 10:23 AM
First thought:

"Ok, labels, let's take a look."

Third thought:

"Oh, NOW I see them."

Mostly a problem in the bright desert, the others are visible. :p

- Max -
02-23-2013, 12:44 PM
Looks better and better :) Labels seems a bit blurry though but maybe you had to decrease resolution to post here?

Troedel
02-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Its half resolution, text is 36 px. I left myself room for some detail. Contrast and brightness of text are on my list, as are compass and scale. I will get to it ;)

nolgroth
02-28-2013, 05:29 PM
Love your mountain ranges. I have been trying different methods of procedural generation on the map I'm working on and I am just not satisfied. I may well have to take the time and effort to paint my mountain ranges.

Troedel
02-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Aha, another addict to the fast lane. I tried procedural generation with different programms. To get a decent look out of the procedural mountains the learning curve is steep and the work just as time consuming in a different way. It just depends on the style you are going for. Good map -> hard and fun work ;)
Im pondering above the names for my map and have not come up with a decent idea for a compass. I want it to breathe soul and context into this map. Im not sure if that can be achieved ( by me anyway... ). I will post an update if its done or I need some CC. THX for following my thread.

Troedel
03-03-2013, 06:26 PM
So here is a little progress on the compass. Scalebar next and then some rest for my brain.

Aredhel
03-05-2013, 08:51 PM
This map is turning out lovely :)

Jockvonmock
03-09-2013, 06:43 AM
What program are you using to do this? I have seen so many of maps with this look, and i have no idea how u are doing them. The colors and everything blend so damn well. What are the res and dpi? Im the biggest newbie here, so teach - master :) Love it btw