PDA

View Full Version : [CG Choice Map] Finished: The City-kingdoms of the Haréshk

vorropohaiah
02-13-2013, 06:51 PM
I think i can call this one finished (finally!). I imagined this was going to be a quick map though after a few minor setbacks (mistakenly merging certain layers then saving, without backing up... you know the drill; going on holiday; and getting flu twice) I managed to recover some lost work and move on to get this finished.

The Haréshk is a dichotomous place, its idyllic terrain and beautiful hills and grasslands forming a stark contrast to the politicking of its regions and their rulers; kings and queens and their countless lords and advisors. The place is somewhat antiquated, still holding onto traditions that the world's major powers (amongst them the two Korachani empires and the Secular Parthian Republic chief amongst them) consider to be antiquated, such as knightly traditions and a feudal state. The region is renowned for its myriad flags and heraldic devices and the angelic and draconic motifs (both attributed to its religion) that fill its art and culture.

WIP thread here (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/21877-city-kingdoms-hareshk.html)

EDIT: it seems as though the resizing of my full-size Jpeg (using bicubic sharper) has left the image looking more saturated than it should, though it's still a passable representation of the real thing:)

- Max -
02-13-2013, 07:30 PM
Like I said in the WIP, another very fine map of your own, great job :)

aquarits
02-13-2013, 07:47 PM
First map that i saw here in guild was The Inner Sea and i am still in love :D
Congratulations for this map, pro-job :D

arsheesh
02-13-2013, 09:20 PM
This just made it into my inspiration folder! Lovely work V! EDIT: looks like I can't rep you at the moment.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

TFIM
02-13-2013, 10:28 PM
I really like the old world look of the map, the cartographic symbols remind me of Ortellius' work.

damonjynx
02-14-2013, 01:05 AM
Great map. Love the attention to detail. Rated & repped.

interfactor
02-14-2013, 02:25 AM
Your map is gorgeous! My only complaint is that the JPEG compression blurs the lettering and coats-of-arms. Otherwise, it is a thing of beauty.

vorropohaiah
02-14-2013, 02:50 AM
I really like the old world look of the map, the cartographic symbols remind me of Ortellius' work.
thanks :) funny you should mention him, i was looking at some of his stuff while on holiday in london last week. not sure it had anything to do with my map though :)

Your map is gorgeous! My only complaint is that the JPEG compression blurs the lettering and coats-of-arms. Otherwise, it is a thing of beauty.
thanks. yeah, it's really noticeable at this level of compression. to give you an idea of the difference in detail, the original unflattened psd is 1.31 Gb and 11595 x 7200 pixels, while the attachment jpg is 4.5 Mb and 3384 x 2160 pixels!

Eilathen
02-14-2013, 06:54 AM
Another superb map, vorropohaiah! Have some Rep.!

Sapiento
02-14-2013, 08:25 AM
Excellent map!

Monkey
02-14-2013, 11:04 AM
Great work on the heraldry!

Ramah
02-14-2013, 11:29 AM
Wonderful map, man. :)

I need to spread some rep around before I can hit you with some more though.

Beehard
02-14-2013, 12:48 PM
one of the best of vorropohaiah!, can you tell me what you make it?

Diamond
02-14-2013, 08:39 PM
More awesome work. What region is up next?

vorropohaiah
02-17-2013, 01:16 PM
one of the best of vorropohaiah!, can you tell me what you make it?
not quite sure I get you. if you mean how did I make it... on Photoshop. the outline was blown up from an equirectangular world map i have map (converted through NASA's G Projector). theres actually few layers. the wave/coast lines were made by following a tut here (cant remember whose it is, though a quick search should find it). the land is flat, and given a gradient shape burst stroke with a small outer glow. the shields were made with custom shapes and vectors (all in PS) and given a subtle bevel/emboss to make them pop. the rest was handdrawn - mountains and trees scanned into PS and used as a brush.

most of the 'character' comes from the paper, which is used three tiomes, once set on overlay at about 30% opacity, again converted to grey, with all but the creases and tears set to 50% grey and set to soft light (making the 50% invisible and reinforcing the depth of the creases). the same grey paper texture was used as a distort displacement layer on the final jpg image to further enhance the creases and tears.

that's about it in a nutshell. if you wanted to know about something specific, just let me know!

More awesome work. What region is up next?
If you care to consult my map of the Inner Sea (http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/19685-high-empire-korachan-inner-sea.html), in the lower right quadrant, the triad of Sarastro, Venthir and the Anubian desert (collectively known as the Arid Triptych) is one of my favourite regions, with quite a bit of history and regions/features developed for them, and I might try my hand an that area, though for now its a pretty big project doing the twin stereographic world map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/22315-wip-stereographic-world-map.html#post208346) though i tend to start multiple projects and let one take over, so to speak, so we'll see :)

Freehand 5.5
02-20-2013, 06:56 PM
I'm just having a mapgasm. :)

The heraldry, the paper folds and the damage, the icons, the typo, the lightly tilted presentation ... I really like that level of detail.

darkfox
02-27-2013, 11:22 AM
i agree on the heraldry. interesting addition to a map. i like it. nicely done

usbfc
04-26-2013, 04:09 PM
This map is great! Is this your creation or are you working with someone else on it? What do you intend to use this map for?

vorropohaiah
04-26-2013, 06:04 PM
it's a region of my conworld, called Elyden (most of the maps i post here are part of the world). I've been writing it for coming up to 8-years now, on-off and intend on hand-making an encyclopaedia/bible/atlas based around the world. someday...

Schwarzkreuz
04-26-2013, 06:10 PM
And oneday I want it to be on my Bokkshelf. This is a grreat Work of Inspiration for me.

AtmoGuy
04-26-2013, 07:02 PM
This is really impressive, detailed work. It has tons of character, which is always good. The little things like the text effects make it so more real. Bravo.

thamupp
05-11-2013, 08:21 PM
An amazing looking. and for me a very inspirational piece of work. This kind of mountain style is very popular on this site and I feel like I should really start experimenting with something similar, after I finish my current map I will have to try something similar. But back to your map.

Another thing that really makes your maps stand out is the fact that they're all from the same world, that really get you immersed and craving more detail and information about everything!

However, something that I noticed while looking at the map, Caria doesn't seem to have a Duke/Lord-mayor (or whatever title a ruler of a High-City/Duchy has :p). I don't know if that's intentional or not.

vorropohaiah
05-12-2013, 02:47 AM
thanks :) there were actually a few 'typos' in this version i didnt notice while uploading - theres about 3-4 places where the kerning on the fonts made them exceed the size of the text box they were in. that's since been fixed!

TheRedEpic
05-12-2013, 08:12 PM
Great looking map, love the shields and details! Did you hand draw the large title crest, embellishments, and the trees?

~J

vorropohaiah
05-13-2013, 02:18 AM
Great looking map, love the shields and details! Did you hand draw the large title crest, embellishments, and the trees?

~J

Yep, basically the only things i didnt make myself were the paper texture, the fonts and most of the vector-images used on the heraldry

Maraxus_
07-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Holy feudalism, this map is great from the coats of arms to the mountains. And everything else.

However, I wonder: What do the unbroken lines (next to "Machosios", "Brachii" and west of the Splondyla/Ohusa mountains) represent compared to the broken Duchy Borders?

vorropohaiah
07-10-2013, 02:18 AM
Holy feudalism, this map is great from the coats of arms to the mountains. And everything else.

However, I wonder: What do the unbroken lines (next to "Machosios", "Brachii" and west of the Splondyla/Ohusa mountains) represent compared to the broken Duchy Borders?

thanks :) the unbroken lines are the borders between the 8 kingdoms, which together make up the Hareshk. the broken lines mark the borders between the individual duchies (as marked in the side bars to the left/right of the map).

loller
07-11-2013, 08:13 AM
Great map and the details ..... is excellent!

Kobell
12-07-2013, 09:15 PM
It is so gorgeous...!

NordRek
04-24-2014, 09:06 AM
Amazing map dude..!!