PDA

View Full Version : Finished: Tomb of Malice Level 2 and 3

kewlpack
02-14-2013, 08:08 AM
Here are a couple levels of a small but nasty dungeon I developed for our gaming group. Malice was actually a a cowardly, evil little gnome who'd been building an undead army by kidnapping villagers and travelers, then experimenting on them a la Frankenstein. Deviant little fellow. I never did draw up level one in Photoshop. Probably should do that some day. All hand drawn, textured, and painted in Photoshop, using icons from ProFantasy (various map packs).

Thanks for looking.
KP

Bogie
02-14-2013, 09:54 AM
Excellent maps, great layout for gaming.

Unfortunately to small to use, can you do a higher resolution, Much larger version?

kewlpack
02-14-2013, 10:02 AM
The originals are 300ppi 8.5x11. These are resampled for display. I never thought anyone else would be interested in them! LOL

Also, they aren't meant for game mats. Only as fancy maps the DM can show the party as they explore.

jfrazierjr
02-14-2013, 01:45 PM
The originals are 300ppi 8.5x11. These are resampled for display. I never thought anyone else would be interested in them! LOL

Also, they aren't meant for game mats. Only as fancy maps the DM can show the party as they explore.

Do you(or anyone in your gaming group perhaps) have a projector or large screen TV in the place you normally game in? If so, you could consider using them along with a VTT such as MapTool, Fantasy Grounds, ViewingDale, Battlegrounds, etc.

arsheesh
02-14-2013, 02:13 PM
Lovely work!

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Bogie
02-14-2013, 03:50 PM

Bigger is always better. Can you post the 300ppi 8.5x11? that at least would work on a VTT set up.

Thanks.

You said that you got the icons from Profantasy? Most of them are originally from Dundjinni Forums, some of them are my work. Didn't know that Profantasy was using them. Not a problem, but interesting.

kewlpack
02-14-2013, 03:55 PM
Ah, it's quite possible. I purchased some mapping softwares about three years ago. I am sure one was Dunjinni. After I couldn't get ProFantasy to work for my style, I tossed all the icons in big library. I don't remember which came from which software or addon. All of the extras were free stuff. If you're one of those creators - THANK YOU for the icons. I'll try attaching the originals to the OP. I figured there was a file size limit.

kewlpack
02-14-2013, 04:02 PM
There we go. Replaced 'em. They are only 200ppi, not 300ppi. Sorry 'bout that.

Bogie
02-15-2013, 01:24 AM
Yes, that does make it a little easier to see the details. Thanks. File size limit is just over 4 MB so plenty of room to spare.

I'm always amazed at where the stuff I make pops up.

I like your mapping style. It is very different from my own but it is nice and clean, has a good sense of depth, and looks like it is very "playable".
Keep up the good work and keep posting. The resolution is good, but a larger size would make the maps more useful to people who want to use them
in a VTT setting ( need 50% to 75% larger ) or who want to print battlemaps to play on (which would need to be at least double to triple this size).

Don't mind me, I'm just greedy.

kewlpack
02-15-2013, 01:34 AM
Thanks for the compliments - AND your contributions. When it comes time to do more, I might bump the resolution up a bit. We typically use the vinyl maps and wet erase markers when we deal with combat. I'm the art-freak among our group so I always go overboard when I draw up something. ;)

grayfox211
08-05-2013, 04:31 PM
very, very impressive. it harnesses that 4e dungeon style wotc puts out now. very few cartographers doing that. i really like that because i like the illustrated look, but also the exterior texture brings a sense of realistic immersion, but the illustration has a fantasy feel. not many cartographers doing that, and wotc never puts out high enough quality maps with their adventures for virtual table top. looking forward to any more releases you have, including level 1.

as a tip, from the perspective of someone that runs vtt sessions (i make my own maps but from tiles so i wouldn't call myself a cartographer) lighting is very important and makes a huge impact on play quality. my players say it makes an order of magnitude difference. what i do is make a map with no light fixtures of any kind built into the background, even if they are supposed to be there. then i load it into maptool or masterplan, etc, and place tokens that look like torches or lamps etc on the unmovable layer, and give them a light source. This allows them to be moved, or doused. when players walk into a room, they truly only then can see what the light source permits since sing FoW.

So, if you wanted to, release a map with no light sources, and a copy with markers where the lights go, and little png's of the lights, if you were so inclined. You would be the most beloved cartographer of all time :D....at least by me lol.

kewlpack
08-05-2013, 04:50 PM
Thanks very much GrayFox!

I'm not really up to date on the VTT stuff at this point. For our group, it's all about good old graph paper and battle mats. I created these, but didn't show them to the group until they'd made their way through the level... The problem with all these new ways of mapping is that you need a large display and a way to easily program the VTT to show only what the party can see. I don't have time or resources to work on VTT versions.

I barely have time to pencil my ideas lately, much less draw them digitally. That said, I'm starting to work out some plot ideas on a North African/Egypt-ish (desert, deltas, steppes, nasty swamps, etc.) setting adventure where the endgame takes place in a hidden, inverted pyramid located deep beneath the sands. ;)

Not sure how many of those maps or settings I'll build out with Photoshop... we'll see.

Jacktannery
08-05-2013, 05:39 PM
I agree with Bogie - the maps are great and you have a good clear style. Hopefully you'll make some more maps for us to look at.

Sereptus
11-04-2013, 09:57 PM
Good stuff Kewl! Uuuuummm...can we get level one now? LOL :P

Quill
03-15-2014, 05:33 AM
I love the style of these. especially the awesome texturing so it doesn't look like the only tool you've used is the paint bucket tool. Very impressed

kewlpack
03-15-2014, 01:33 PM
Thanks gang. I'll have to go back and put level 1 together. Free time just isn't at the level it used to be.