PDA

View Full Version : WIP stereographic world map

vorropohaiah
02-15-2013, 04:39 PM
so, time to start a new map, and here's something i've been wanting to do for a while now, mostly to help in my writing. i decided on a 15th - 16th century-style stereographic world map (in the style of classics by the likes of Blaeu or Mercator), showing two halves of the world - western and eastern hemispheres, respectively. though distances are distorted, areas should be preserved, and the map is intended more as a novelty object than a navigational tool. it shows things like equinoctial, tropic, arctic and ecliptic lines and will, when completed, include a (hopefully) dizzying amount of labels and rivers, in the style of maps of the period; as well as sea paths, charting voyages and other expeditions of note. the empty spaces around the borders will include a plethora of details (possibly using the star chart i previously made) and other details pertinent to the world. though that's a while away...

- Max -
02-15-2013, 05:02 PM
Sounds like a huge and great project :)

Naeddyr
02-16-2013, 02:06 AM
Looking really good thus far.

Diamond
02-16-2013, 02:10 AM
This should be fun to watch! I'm in your cheering section. :D

Eilathen
02-16-2013, 06:07 AM
Cool! I'm digging it already *helps Diamond with the cheering* :D

Does that mean we are cheer-leaders now, D?! :o :P

Diamond
02-16-2013, 03:49 PM
As long as I don't have to wear a skirt, I'm there. :D

vorropohaiah
02-16-2013, 04:38 PM
:) well this is the internet so we can all picture it anyway :)

Caenwyr
02-18-2013, 08:26 AM
You have me there following you as well!

vorropohaiah
02-18-2013, 04:29 PM
here's a WIP pic of the map

Not much work done actually. just a few labels, really. I've spent most of my time on this fixing the graticule and its borders and titling the hemispheres. Most of the labels (and some markers tracking explorer's voyages; three in all, one in yellow,. red and another, green one, yet to be done) are in the south-eastern part of the eastern hemisphere and the north-eastern part of the western hemisphere, if anyone's interested, though I plan on adding a lot more... Here's a close-up of the Inner Sea area that's labelled so-far:

any C&C as well as ideas and tips for what i can add to the outside portion of the map, please feel free.

arsheesh
02-19-2013, 01:14 PM
This looks to be a large undertaking! You've done a wonderful job with it so far though. No C&C here, just two thumbs up.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
02-19-2013, 01:37 PM
As you previously mentioned it, some stars map would be cool. Makes me remember of some old constellation maps from university's library of Leiden. Some constellation maps would be awesome but it's maybe hard to do/draw regarding your world settings...
a link for inspiration just in case with some similar celestial maps on Tumblr (http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/celestial%20map?language=fr_FR)

vorropohaiah
02-19-2013, 02:00 PM
As you previously mentioned it, some stars map would be cool. Makes me remember of some old constellation maps from university's library of Leiden. Some constellation maps would be awesome but it's maybe hard to do/draw regarding your world settings...
a link for inspiration just in case with some similar celestial maps on Tumblr (http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/celestial%20map?language=fr_FR)

I actually already have the world's skies mapped out here: http://www.cartographersguild.com/finished-maps/18911-star-map.html. (though it was ignored when I posted it :p) though unfortunately I've lost the original PSD, though I can use this as a good base :-)

- Max -
02-19-2013, 02:07 PM
Yes I've already saw it on your album but I was thinking on making the animals? gods? angels? creatures? or whatever they are on the constellation map itself. Not sure it's really possible unless you know engraving your own designs :D

vorropohaiah
02-19-2013, 02:12 PM
I have some woodcut-style images that correspond with the constellations I can put to good use

- Max -
02-19-2013, 02:14 PM
That would be great and really fit this kind of map if you can make it out :)

vorropohaiah
02-19-2013, 06:07 PM
here's a cropped picture with some progress on the map 'border' or cartouche (not quite sure what to call it tbh). I've taken some inspiration from similar real-world maps (particularly with the text layout and the shape conforming to the graticules bordering them) and started filling it in with some in-world information - basically a brief introduction to the world's 'magic' systems, both of which have been labelled on the map itself. there's also some higher-res detailing of one of the 5-voyages marked on the map, with years and islands/locations visited.

Naeddyr
02-20-2013, 02:48 AM
This is getting ridiculous.

ridiculously awesome

arsheesh
02-20-2013, 02:51 AM
This is getting ridiculous.

ridiculously awesome

Agreed. This is very cool.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

vorropohaiah
02-20-2013, 03:51 PM
daily update coming up...

As 'discussed' earlier on in this thread with Max, I was planning on adding constellation maps was well as a paragraph or two on each (much like the magical 'treatises' in my previous post. And so I am:

This is a separate image (to save time/size, as the original image is getting quite large so I'm working on separate images for now, and will paste the flattened images together once I'm done) with the northern and southern skies, respectively. They wont be adjacent to each other on the map (at least not with the layout I'm currently envisioning: i might change things round once the individual images are finished). The hemispheres are based on a star map that i created for the world, pasted below for convenience:

I still need to add the constellation and major star names, change some star symbol sizes (making the more prominent ones bigger and vice versa) and, of course, add the constellation drawings themselves, which will probably take a while now as I'll probably be quite busy over the next few days.

The map itself looks little different, though I've added over a hundred points and region/nation names and plotted the full courses of the five exploratory voyages depicted in the map's title. The going gets slower from now on as most of the remainder of the map is terra incognita as far as my world's history is concerned, so every place i add to this map will also get an entry in my notes (even something as cursory as a bullet point denoting location, so i have some text record i cant ctrl+f on a word document :p) so I'll be spending less time on the map itself and more time noting names, not to mention trying to come up with name sets that sound like they come from the same language...

- Max -
02-20-2013, 05:04 PM
Your last link is broken ;)
ok since you're on the road to make (hopefully) a masterpiece, I hope you don't mind if I'm being a little pernickety : I'd get the stars symbols some kind of old touch (giving them a bit of distressed touch or use some real engraved/wood cut ones rather than PS symbol) to make them fit the style map perfectly. I know this is really some details but details make great maps ;)

vorropohaiah
02-21-2013, 04:15 AM
Your last link is broken ;)
ok since you're on the road to make (hopefully) a masterpiece, I hope you don't mind if I'm being a little pernickety : I'd get the stars symbols some kind of old touch (giving them a bit of distressed touch or use some real engraved/wood cut ones rather than PS symbol) to make them fit the style map perfectly. I know this is really some details but details make great maps ;)

there must have been a problem with the upload... ill just upload a new one if i get any work done on the map tonight.

regarding the stars - looking at them again you're right. the original idea was that the artist used a stamp or similar device to apply the form to the map, explaining why they're all the same (most constellation maps from the period have stars that are identical to one another, with no size variants between them). Keep in mind that this was not the finished thing - I was going to add a bit of texture to them - some noise or dissolve and blur.

I might try something else now :)

- Max -
02-21-2013, 04:22 AM
:) the fact that they are all the same don't bother me at all, my comment was just about the oldish look they could have ;) And yes it's a WIP I'll have probably to be more patient. I should start another map to focus on my own work too :D Well actually I did but nothing much to show for now

vorropohaiah
02-25-2013, 05:15 PM
just a quick update with some progress on the constellations. just outlines for now, though i doubt ill go into much more detail, given the size of the final star map against the whole of the image

- Max -
02-25-2013, 05:39 PM
Looks great :)

vorropohaiah
02-27-2013, 05:32 PM
spent ,much of this evening just adding labels to the map. I'm scared to count how many text layers i have, in just this portion of the map...

you can also see some of the 'voyage' routes i added - there's 5 in all, though only 4 can be seen here, and most of them are smal parts of the whole. they may overlap the land in some areas - ill fix those later on, i swear!

- Max -
02-27-2013, 06:02 PM
Looks like a huge labelling work. Nice job so far, comfortable to read at, even with the great number of locations

Diamond
02-28-2013, 12:22 AM
Looks great! Are you going to include rivers or mountains as well? I've run into a problem there - it just doesn't look 'right' when I try and include anything beyond place names, such as you've done here. Any tips you can offer would be much appreciated.

vorropohaiah
02-28-2013, 02:51 AM
Looks great! Are you going to include rivers or mountains as well? I've run into a problem there - it just doesn't look 'right' when I try and include anything beyond place names, such as you've done here. Any tips you can offer would be much appreciated.

i've been thinking about that too. most real-world maps in this style lack any details like rivers, forests and mountains (though some do contain rivers and very vague mountains). ill certainly not be adding forests and mountains (which are a lot rarer than they are in fantasy maps), though i might add rivers, though there probably wont be enough room to label them so i'm not sure. ill try add some to a continent and mess around with layer styles, colours and opacities, but dont be surprised if i leave the map as it is.

Ramah
02-28-2013, 04:06 AM
Ouch. And I thought I was having to add a lot of labels on my map. :S Looking great though. Really looking forward to seeing this complete. :)

sreynders
02-28-2013, 06:17 AM
This is simply amazing. I'm loving the feel of authenticity!

vorropohaiah
02-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Ok.... so I downloaded a script to count the layers on the image... 991 in total. i think that's a record for me. I was thinking of rasterising the type though i don't think that will save much size so its safer to keep the text layers as text for now - I'm still re positioning things and curving them to better-align them with the lines of latitude.

Anyway, the image was getting a bit sluggish so I decided to crop it in two - the left hemisphere and right one, and I'm concentrating on the left one for now. lots more labels done around the inner sea, though still loads more to go and i started adding political borders (the subtle white lines) not sure if these will stay the same or if ill change them - they'll do for now though

- Max -
02-28-2013, 05:28 PM
o0 Impressive labels work!
A few of them are overlapping though but I know it's a hell of a job you're doing at the moment.
About the white lines, they sure need some improvement. I'd advice a bit of smooth on them. Assuming you're drawing them with mouse, one tip would be to draw them with your brush zooming at 200 or 300%, this will blur the brush a very little bit ( but keeping some solid line) and make the lines smoother and less pixellated/hard round brushed

arsheesh
03-01-2013, 01:39 PM
Very impressive, and amazingly detailed!

vorropohaiah
03-01-2013, 02:47 PM
o0 Impressive labels work!
A few of them are overlapping though but I know it's a hell of a job you're doing at the moment.
I'm doing my best to stop overlap though given that the age/style of maps I'm basing this on weren't at all bothered with perfection, I'm not bothered. Just getting each text layer to align with the graticules is giving me nightmares! I'm spending ages on this and seem to be getting nowhere (especially with the new labels, which i've made myself take notes of for future reference...

About the white lines, they sure need some improvement. I'd advice a bit of smooth on them. Assuming you're drawing them with mouse, one tip would be to draw them with your brush zooming at 200 or 300%, this will blur the brush a very little bit ( but keeping some solid line) and make the lines smoother and less pixellated/hard round brushed
I'm actually using a wacom, though the lines weren't very hard. i sharpened the edges, smoothed them a bit and added a very subtle stroke to them (though note the whiteness got a bit smudged as part of the conversion.compression to jpg - its much crisper in the full-size psd). They're looking better for now, though I'm still not 100% happy with them for now. I'm scouring old-school maps for inspiration though most of them are dashed lines with haphazard coloured lines stroked over them, not too sure i like that very much and also I think it's pretty pointless in many regions due to the number of labels obscuring the borders (which will certainly be beneath the labels)

This is today's progress with texture and water added (as i left it out last update. I'm getting close to getting a quarter of the western hemisphere done, and that's the easy part (just copying labels from other maps I've made) as the rest of the map is mostly terra incognita, so progress will slow as i try to come up with sounds/simple language systems I can use to name the various 'alien' regions and cultures.

I'm also still spitballing ideas for the map borders, other than the constellations. i'm thinking about important histories, religious tables (like some kaballah/chakra drawings), some symbolism stuff (golden ratios, numerology and other things pertinent to the world) and who knows what else!

also, i think ill stop with the pic updates for now, at least until the time comes for me to add some new stuff.

- Max -
03-01-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm scouring old-school maps for inspiration though most of them are dashed lines with haphazard coloured lines stroked over them, not too sure i like that very much and also I think it's pretty pointless in many regions due to the number of labels obscuring the borders (which will certainly be beneath the labels)

I wasn't a great fan too of those stroked coloured lines on borders but I may change my mind seeing how Diamond did some on his last finished map

I'm also still spitballing ideas for the map borders, other than the constellations. i'm thinking about important histories, religious tables (like some kaballah/chakra drawings), some symbolism stuff (golden ratios, numerology and other things pertinent to the world) and who knows what else!

I like the idea of religious tables. very interesting and not often seen.

Hai-Etlik
03-01-2013, 07:37 PM
The labeling has some problems. If you are going to cram things in that tight, you need to do so VERY carefully. You should try to avoid colliding with other lines like the graticule and coastline, and especially with other labels. If you adjust the kerning manually, you can slip lines through gaps between the letters. If all else fails, you can put a gap in the other line to make the label easier to read. In a lot of cases it's quite hard to figure out what the labels are representing, and some are difficult to even read.

Adjusting overall letter spacing of a label is also something to consider, especially for labels representing areas. It would particularly help those all caps labels.

Those white lines are very artificial looking. Think about the notional process behind this map being made. Personally, I like to do all the line work together, as a "drawing/printing" phase, and then add coloured highlights afterwards. That helps to avoid problems like this.

vorropohaiah
03-02-2013, 01:22 AM
The labeling has some problems. If you are going to cram things in that tight, you need to do so VERY carefully. You should try to avoid colliding with other lines like the graticule and coastline, and especially with other labels. If you adjust the kerning manually, you can slip lines through gaps between the letters. If all else fails, you can put a gap in the other line to make the label easier to read. In a lot of cases it's quite hard to figure out what the labels are representing, and some are difficult to even read.
Adjusting overall letter spacing of a label is also something to consider, especially for labels representing areas. It would particularly help those all caps labels.
I was actually thinking of reducing the size of the nations (the caps labels), as well as adding partial masking the areas of the graticules with text over them, rather than changing the kerning of on the text, though i might do that. i know that coastal regions are typically depicted in the water at an angle, though given the coastline shape I wasnt able to, plus i'm not too bothered of precision - 16th-17th century world maps aren't known for the precision of their text:

many labels on that snip overlap the coastline and touch each other in places, though I do see what you mean now about the longitudinal graticules - none of them really cross them and the larger nation labels only just skim them.

Those white lines are very artificial looking. Think about the notional process behind this map being made. Personally, I like to do all the line work together, as a "drawing/printing" phase, and then add coloured highlights afterwards. That helps to avoid problems like this.
very true about the white lines, as I said, I'm not too happy about them at the moment, and theyre more placeholders for now than anything else. I might try the dashed/stroked coloured line common in the period, though not too sure ill go for it as most of it will be obscured by the text anyway. Though given my lack of experience in illustrator (which i rally want to start using) i'm still stumbling as to the best way to do this in PS - freehand pen tool/stroke/smooth is what comes to mind though any suggestions are welcome

thanks for the comments

vorropohaiah
03-06-2013, 02:47 PM
I've slowly been going over all my maps and copying labels onto this monster I'm progressing at a snail's pace, and in the past few days have had 3 PS crashes, which have really set me back as well as dampened my enthusiasm, though I'm persevering.

I also need a new PC as this poor laptop is giving me no end of grief...

- Max -
03-06-2013, 02:58 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear your computer troubles :( I know how you feel I really need a stuff upgrade aswell.

Eld
03-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Maybe I could help your motivation by adoring the map?;)
I really love the form of the continents. I'm used to praise the finished map of the gallery showing the Korachan Empire, so I'm quite elated to see work going on.

I think it's really OK, if you leave rivers and mountains out as it's a political map. I like to see that I'm not alone at defining hundreds of cities and so on. (my current WIP has 270 major cities and capitals, still growing)
It's amazing how much time you spend to small details as the astronomical map.:o

Go on and show us the beauty of this world, no tired laptop or crashing PS could stop you! ;)

BookOwl
03-06-2013, 10:46 PM
My gosh, look at all those names! O.O Where are you getting them? Are you making them up as you go or have a list somewhere?

It looks really awesome so far. I really love the text you have in the middle of the east and west hemispheres about the magic stuff. When I first clicked on it I thought it was some sort of pattern or filler or something until I zoomed in.

Gosh there's so much detail. Love the constellations so far. Love the text you've put around the top edge of the east hemisphere. I can't think of anything I don't like about this thing.

Can't wait to see more of this!! I sincerely hope your laptop doesn't try anything funny :D

vorropohaiah
03-07-2013, 05:10 AM
My gosh, look at all those names! O.O Where are you getting them? Are you making them up as you go or have a list somewhere?

So far I'm mostly working from the encyclopaedia I've written for my world (about 500,000 words so far, though steadily growing into an unwieldy word doc!) many of the eastern continent's regions are brand new to me, so I'm coming up with those as I go along, adding them to my notes and world history and trying to at least write a vague description for them, which is mostly why updates have now slowed down.

I really love the text you have in the middle of the east and west hemispheres about the magic stuff. When I first clicked on it I thought it was some sort of pattern or filler or something until I zoomed in.
thanks :) the parts of he map without the globes will be similarly filled in - either text or stuff like the constellations. though there's a while to go yet...

vorropohaiah
03-09-2013, 02:52 PM
here's a quick WIP of the world (i stitched the 4 globes together, added my intended final texture and saved them as a JPG to show the current progress)

the majority of labels remain in the western globe, though there's new things popping up all over the place.

I also tried changing the borders. i'll probably add a thick coloured wet-edge border to the nations under the dotted line. they're better than before though i'm still not 100% sold...

(the upload is a compressed jpg, about 25% the original size., reshaped using automatic bicubic on PS6, so some detail has been compromised)

- Max -
03-09-2013, 03:05 PM
Very nice progress! What's the blank area called Danael in the Inner Sea?

vorropohaiah
03-09-2013, 03:18 PM
Very nice progress! What's the blank area called Danael in the Inner Sea?

I noticed that after the upload. It should be blue. No idea how it turned that way... Easily fixed in the final image though!

Diamond
03-09-2013, 11:52 PM
DAMN, I like this!!!

Eilathen
03-10-2013, 07:37 AM
Nice!
I do think that the central part of your world, the one which you have worked on the most, is a bit overcrowded with labels. It's hard do read with all that letter-noise :D

Eld
03-10-2013, 12:50 PM
To me it's not hard to read but to much text for my lazy eyses.^^
It get's a little bit of a pattern so that I focus on the bigger labels as they appear as real labels and not as the normal "background-label-pattern-stuff".;)

Maybe you could put all those labels in a few layers at the end. One layer only with capital cities, one with all the other major places and one with the rest of tiny settlements. That's the way I order my labels as I think I don't want to overcrowd the map for the unexperienced reader (unexperienced of my world) but also I want to put all the names of the small places in to save this knowledge. In the end I could decide how much information I'll show to the reader.

vorropohaiah
03-11-2013, 03:09 AM
Maybe you could put all those labels in a few layers at the end. One layer only with capital cities, one with all the other major places and one with the rest of tiny settlements. That's the way I order my labels as I think I don't want to overcrowd the map for the unexperienced reader (unexperienced of my world) but also I want to put all the names of the small places in to save this knowledge. In the end I could decide how much information I'll show to the reader.

I've tried messing about with rasterizing and merging the various groups of text layers. at the moment they're separate layers grouped into folders (nations, features, places, seas and dates/numbers). merging, say, the place text layers into one rasterised layer makes little difference to the file-size so I've decided to keep them separate text layers for now (which makes editing much much easier and less of a headache later on)

and for those shouting 'overcrowding' around the inner sea, you're right, though the rest of the world will be less dense as such regions are not part of the old world, which inevitably has more established names and regions. still lots of text (as much as i can conceivably fit!), though far less than around the inner sea. maybe half as much, or thereabouts (and a higher proportion of features like mountains, than cities/settlements)

vorropohaiah
03-24-2013, 02:59 AM
hi all, just a quick post letting anyone whose interested know that I haven't forgotten about this map - i'm still working on the labels and updating my world notes as i go along, and am sketching out layouts for the borders and what I can include in them. I'm working on an esoterical list of the gods, their domains and symbols/sigils (complete with inaccuracies) and will probably include small maps of the world's 2 moons, also, and maybe some information on axial tilt and seasons as well as other world-specific notes.

I haven't uploaded any pics as there's little difference to the previous ones, as most of the new labels are scattered and still quite sparse. pic updates when there's something new to show.

also, with the borders, the map is shaping up to be quite a bit bigger than I thought - about 5 feet by 7 feet at my last estimate - any smaller and the labels become too difficult to read. if i do ever print it out, it'll be like a trophy on my geek-den wall!

- Max -
03-24-2013, 06:13 AM
Glad to hear you're still working on it :)

kestrelgrey
03-24-2013, 07:06 AM
Wow I'm glad I found this, and I'm glad to hear you're still working on it! Very inspirational, and looking fantastic. Clean and, while there is a lot of text, easy to "read" the entire map, landmasses as well as labels. Can't wait to see more.

- kes

vorropohaiah
03-31-2013, 07:34 AM
I've been working on the map on-and-off (not much time due to working on my new apartment which I should be moving into by summer), though I've been able to get some more labels done as well as doing some work on the overall shape of the map.

this is a 33% reduced copy of where the full map stands at the moment. I'll be filling in the gaps around the globes with text, histories, and (if i can) small diagrams and tabled detailing all sorts of things. The map should get a border as well as a pretty big title-bar on the top. not sure as to a key, though i might add one detailing overall elements.

we'll see...

- Max -
03-31-2013, 02:00 PM
I'm wondering if there's something that will fill the empty spaces around the circled areas, like those old reference maps?

vorropohaiah
03-31-2013, 02:44 PM
I'm wondering if there's something that will fill the empty spaces around the circled areas, like those old reference maps?

oh certainly. a mix of text, diagrams and smaller maps. At the moment I'm working on the right-hand side of the map, which features the world's twin moons in the top right and bottom right (labelled much like like the main map) as well as descriptions of the moons and their orbits and their effects on the world's tides etc as well as their place in various culture's myths.

the rest of the map will have different things - the left-hand size will feature the constellations and a large disk featuring the sigils of the two-and-twenty demiurges (gods) and some information about them within the world's cosmologies.

the bottom will have general world information and a map of the inner sea and the empire's fluctuating territories over the years.

the top, I'm still not sure about - possibly something more esoteric and related to the more fantastical aspects of the world - its entropy and decay and the unravelling laws of nature.... however that works :)

Diamond
03-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Dude. This map makes me simultaneously grind my teeth in envy and weep with joy at its magnificence.

vorropohaiah
04-02-2013, 04:53 AM
Dude. This map makes me simultaneously grind my teeth in envy and weep with joy at its magnificence.

thanks :) i hope the end-product lives up to that idea, as im struggling somewhat.

I'm trying to come up with a way of representing the moons - similar to the main map or something more graphic? i'm having trouble finding 17th-18th century maps of the moon i like, though think i might settle on something akin to this - http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9d/1707_Homann_and_Doppelmayr_Map_of_the_Moon_-_Geographicus_-_TabulaSelenographicaMoon-doppelmayr-1707.jpg though i dont think i'll take into account the lunar libration (the reason we see about 59% of the moon and not 41%. thena agin i night... not sure :)

any ideas?

- Max -
04-02-2013, 05:12 AM
I think going with something that isn't similar to the main map is a better idea, that will spread the attention a bit less, especially on such a detailed stuff and keep the main map being...the main map... The link you posted loooks like a good reference, I like it.

vorropohaiah
04-02-2013, 05:23 AM
I never really considered the world map in the middle to be the 'main feature' though; i always thought it was more of a collective thing with different information, with the world maps in the middle being largest pure;y because the world is bigger than the moons. I might have top resize the other images in light of this to make them more prominent...

Diamond
04-02-2013, 04:48 PM
I never really considered the world map in the middle to be the 'main feature' though; i always thought it was more of a collective thing with different information, with the world maps in the middle being largest pure;y because the world is bigger than the moons. I might have top resize the other images in light of this to make them more prominent...

That was kind of the impression I had as well.

That's a good reference you've posted, but I think if you're going to do the moons in that style you'd want to put at least some cursory elevation stuff on the main map as well, to keep the style consistent.

vorropohaiah
04-15-2013, 04:47 AM
I haven't much time to work on this over the past weeks - first the challenge, and then a few commissions - though I have been thinking about the last post - mainly, the design of the moons. Diamond's point about consistent styles does make sense, though I don't know how to make a consistent style across the 2 very different types of maps. i was thinking of keeping the moons maps simple - with dark spots and light spots marked, with some form of hatchwork gradient for simple shading, keeping them similar to the world map (sea = dark part, land = light part). ill have to try some small tests to see how they look...

vorropohaiah
04-24-2013, 05:55 PM
a bit more progress on the 'big one'. i've left some layers (the main map itself,constellations and the grunge) out for this update. the first pic is going to be a map charting the borders of a particular region over a certain amount of time, using different coloured layers to represent the ebb/flow of the borders over the years. a block of descriptive text will be in the bottom middle of the map (to the right of this upload).

the other pic is some small progress on the text boxes for the moons. im trying to stick to the somewhat odd layout of the period I'm drawing inspiration from - id not normally write text like this, though if it was good enough for the real world, its good enough for me :)

both pics really need clicking on to enlarge. these are 100% size, though are are cropped in on a very small area (you can probably tell by the size of the curve of the globes). i still need to add the paper texture back (i remove the layer while im working on it to help make things run quicker) and scuff the border lines to make them look more hand-drawn. though that can all come later, once the major areas are blocked in. im also having trouble coming up with sigils for the 22 gods that im happy with. im aiming for a cross between astrological/alchemical/daemonic
summoning circles. once i figure those out ill have another portion of the map sorted out.
still lots and lots to do, in fact the more i add the more i realise i have left to do...

- Max -
04-25-2013, 03:18 AM
Looks nice :) Keep it up!

vorropohaiah
04-28-2013, 06:51 AM
so, i've been trying to come up with the borders for the inset map, and in order to do so accurately i had to come up with a timeline for the nearby nations. from that i could then extrapolate what the empire's borders were like at in a certain year, for instance. ill be doing this at intervals oif 250-500 years, depending on what looks best and will be adding them to the previous inset map i posted. kkeping in mind that unlike most maps on this site, this isnt being made up on the fly and i have a pretty expansive history already established for the world which means its not just a matter of drawing nice-looking lines and shapes for the borders - a lot of cross-referencing is involved that sadly takes time away from the map itself :S

so as not to 'waste' the time i spent working on the timeline, i decided to post it here. I might even ad this to the map itself in a nicer format:

- Max -
04-28-2013, 08:40 AM
Interesting work :)

vorropohaiah
04-28-2013, 11:29 AM
thanks.

slight problem uploading the full map WIP. the flattened jpeg is about 70mb. lol! might have to wait until theres more to show and them ill upload it in 4 parts

- Max -
04-28-2013, 11:32 AM
Yup 70 MB is "slightly" exceeding the upload limit :D

Diamond
04-28-2013, 03:31 PM
I applaud your insanity, vorro. :D

Schwarzkreuz
04-29-2013, 04:34 AM
Omg, i realy do see your third feature scroll at horizon

vorropohaiah
04-29-2013, 04:51 AM
Omg, i really do see your third feature scroll at horizon

thanks :) thought at the rate im going... very distantly :)

vorropohaiah
04-29-2013, 04:26 PM
been busy messing about with colours and changing some of the strokes on the main maps. I thought it divide the map into 4 and upload each quarter separately. wont be doing that again for a while... I'm trying to get some more work done on this (most updates havent been very productive, ill admit, though they help me keep on working, which is always good!), especially the extra stuff around the main maps.

I'm not 100% happy with the territory map on the bottom left. not sure if its just the colour or if its just because its quite difficult to represent ebb and flow of borders as successive layers. perhaps stroked lines or patterns instead of flat colours? not sure.

the middle bottom will get a big block of text describing the empire and some of the events that shaped its borders. the left part of the map will likely include demiurge information as well as their symbols, sigils, domains, the names of their mortal races and maybe some other info. the top i imagine being mostly text - world history, major events and information blocks, with some small esoteric designs and diagrams. the right will be calendars and relevant charts, though there's certainly room for a lot more information here and there. as much as i can pack in, i hope. I also decided to add rivers, though probably not mountains or any other features - its largely a political map, so nation borders and waterways are more important that mountains, which are more likely than not to lie on nation borders anyway. i was thinking of land trade-routes, also, though i'm not so sure i can depict them in a unique-enough manner (to differentiate them from the ocean exploration routes already established... speaking of which i want to make them distinct from one-another through different line styles: broken dash, dotted/dash, etc.)

at this point i really welcome C&C, about the most minute thing, as its possibly better to tackle certain things now, before i flatten certain parts (its becoming close to impossible to work on this as a large image, even two separate ones, so i have to flatten parts of it where i can, otherwise load times, certain filters and save times are just insanely high.

- Max -
04-29-2013, 04:38 PM
I would give a try with patterns (lines/hatch...) on the bottom left territory map since the colours don't really work for me at the moment. Not as clean as the rest of the map. I agree about mountains which would overcrowd the map. So far, very great and clean work :)

Schwarzkreuz
04-29-2013, 05:27 PM
I agree with -Max-.
Most oldschool Atlas about HIstory have Patterns to represent political shiftings and should do well on your map without beeing a dark chunk there.

Diamond
04-29-2013, 06:59 PM
I agree with my esteemed colleagues r.e. the Imperial Growth. (That sounds like a terrible medical condition! :D )

Here's a suggestion: coats-of-arms for as many nations as you have the patience to illustrate, running all the way around inside the thick outer border.

vorropohaiah
04-30-2013, 01:21 AM
I would give a try with patterns (lines/hatch...) on the bottom left territory map since the colours don't really work for me at the moment.

I agree with -Max-.
Most oldschool Atlas about History have Patterns to represent political shifting and should do well on your map without beeing a dark chunk there.

I agree with my esteemed colleagues r.e. the Imperial Growth.
yeah, as i was thinking. ill try look at maps of the period for styles.

I was also thinking of some form of pattern/border for the corners and the neatline around the outside of the map to give it some more oomph.

Here's a suggestion: coats-of-arms for as many nations as you have the patience to illustrate, running all the way around inside the thick outer border.
very cool! though ill have to increase the canvas size to accomodate the 'shield/flag/heraldry' border. its already too big at 4' x 6'! though it'll be a good exercise i coming up with the nation's flags, though its strange as i don't think of many of the nations as having flags - most are nomadic places for instance. how could i represent their 'nations'?

Chashio
04-30-2013, 01:37 AM
... i don't think of many of the nations as having flags - most are nomadic places for instance. how could i represent their 'nations'?

Maybe a Clan sign? Maybe a Clan sign on wooden shields of various shape and style for the more warlike 'nations' and signs on variously colored cloth for others?

That's a really big map. You have an amazing talent for finishing enormous projects in fabulous style. :)

vorropohaiah
04-30-2013, 02:05 AM
im sure all the different kindreds/groups/sodalities/tribes/territories/etc will have some form of icon or symbol or device that can be used, even if its something used by the nation that created the map. so should be interesting

Schwarzkreuz
04-30-2013, 02:25 AM
Such Icons/Signs should be influences by the creator of the map (In-World) thats true, so basicly you would need a system of distinction between highter establish, and less establish groups and the stuff in between. Maybe different Shildforms for the signs?

vorropohaiah
04-30-2013, 04:36 AM
true. i was thinking flags/banners for the main civilised nations, with shields (wooden,metal, as appropriate to the region) icons, symbols or tattoo markings for other areas, depending on their culture. very interesting. at first i thought i might have trouble filling the border with shield, but with well over 100 different nations and many of those divided into several parts, i dont think it'll be a problem. the main challenge will be coming up with the designs themselves! though i do have an idea for some places. though i also need to think of colour/tone.

Chashio
04-30-2013, 10:57 AM
I wish you luck.

vorropohaiah
05-01-2013, 06:05 AM
I wish you luck.

much appreciated. i need it...

Schwarzkreuz
05-16-2013, 08:51 PM
How much is there a difference beteten the realms and Borders of this map, and what will come into your Atlas? Is it the same time?

vorropohaiah
05-17-2013, 02:18 AM
not sure i understand the first question.

the second question gives me a headache because... I'm always tinkering with the technological level and comparing the timeline with certain points in the real world and always changing it. When I started this map it was going to be the present day, though since then i've decided to make it around 200-years in the past and something of a novelty item when it was producted (ie a nostalgic map when other, more modern maps were gaining popularity), deciding on using a more 19th-century style for the atlas maps, like my curent WIP Korachan map (http://www.cartographersguild.com/regional-world-mapping/23395-political-map-korachan-its-environs-following-events-great-war-wip.html#post216134).

As such i dont imagine this map being a part of the atlas. I'm just making this one as a big poster for my hobby room and to help in my Writing (and to help with inspiration while i'm writing, its amazing what some good music, a few maps and being surrounded by your fave books can do to help the creative juices flowing!). I'll almost certainly create a full world map for the atlas, in a slightly more modern projection like a Mollweide (well, i say modern; its pretty old, though more modern than a double streographic) for a two-page spread in the atlas (ill probably make 2-versions of this one - a smaller one for the book and a larger one with more labels for me...

i like labels

- Max -
05-17-2013, 03:07 AM
i like labels

Oh really? :D

Schwarzkreuz
05-17-2013, 03:19 AM
Oh really? :D

We hardly notices.

vorropohaiah
05-17-2013, 03:54 AM
maybe i need to add more labels then...

Eilathen
05-17-2013, 12:32 PM
maybe i need to add more labels then...

Sure, if you pay my eye-doctor bills... :P :D

vorropohaiah
06-01-2013, 05:52 PM
Small update to show im working on this. I've been adding labels to the two hemispheres (each its own file) between commissions and other projects, and have been slowly adding to the areas outside the hemispheres too, tinkering with colours and textures (though most of those will be done once the text layers (numbering in the thousands now...) are rasterised and flattened to lessen the file size and everything is stitched together.

the text itself is temporary, pending something crafted specifically for this which needs to number around 6000 words long (and 6 columns, of which part of two are visible in the cropped image below). quite a bit of text to act as 'filler'. im not sure if i want to pepper some diagrams or other images between the text. probably not.

to give an idea of the size, this cropped image is 9" x 15" and doesnt even include any of the main hemispheres...

Viking
06-02-2013, 12:38 AM
I look forward to seeing this one get done Vor! :D

Heimdallsgothi
06-03-2013, 01:02 AM
amazing work and even more fun watching it progress.

vorropohaiah
06-03-2013, 01:39 AM
How much is there a difference beteten the realms and Borders of this map, and what will come into your Atlas? Is it the same time?

in answer to your first question, i think i'll create a similar map to this one, without the extra embelishments (ie. just the two hemispheres) for inclusion within the atlas - 1-per page sort of thing - in a slightly more updated fashion. you know how the same map plate tends to get reused and updated with new colour or details over the years, this could be that sort of thing: this is the original and then whoever crafted the atlas used the same plate as a basis for this one.

AvuncularMontague
08-18-2013, 06:27 PM
Old thread, sorry, but this seems the best place to post a response to your stereographic map of Elyden. I had to write and say that of all the fictional maps I have seen, yours appeals to me most in terms of the shape and quality of the coastlines and land masses. At the large scale, the shapes of the continents have a great quality to them. They are interestingly shaped without ever being spindly or grotesque. And at the small scale, the detailed nooks and crannies of the coastlines are excellently done. There's also a lot of variety, which I like because it suggests different kinds of erosion forces at work, or other forces that have local effects on the shapes of coastlines. Recently I was reading about fractal dimensions of coastlines: it turns out that on earth, the crinkliness of most shorelines is independent of scale. So the coast of Norway, which is very crinkly (I hear it won awards :-) is similarly crinkly when viewed at different scales. And the coast of South Africa, which is much smoother, looks similar to itself at different scales. And sometimes I see fictional maps where at the large scale, the coast lines are very smooth, and it's only at the very small scale that it suddenly becomes extra crinkly. So, well done.

Two questions: is this stereographic map a reprojection from another view? (And if so, which was the original view, how did you reproject it, and how much touching up afterwards etc.)

And second, was the resemblance to our Earth subconscious or deliberate? Here are the similarities (and I think the map, and world from what I've seen, are wonderful whatever the case so don't take this as criticism):
The Inner Sea <==> Mediterranean. It has a Europe-like shape above it, and an Africa-like shape beneath it. It has a "Gibraltar" separating it from the sea of serpents (border with the Atlantic), and a "fertile crescent" at the far end (even with a literal Zion!). It has a Greece with very many little islands of the coast and it connects to a Black Sea/Dark Sea. In your world, what would be the Black Sea connects to what would be the Persian Gulf - I love that you can get all the way through. The place names: there are some that sound Greek on the north shore, and some that sound Arabic on the southern shore.

You have a "Scandinavia" protruding out from the continent in the northern hemisphere - I can see the resemblance better on the polar map. (Yours is further east than earth's.)

At the north-eastern tip of your "Asia" is a "Bering land bridge" connecting it to the large continent that would be North America (I mean the connection between the Ialcus Sea and the Sea of Akry). Your "North America" has a "Gulf of Mexico", a fattened "Florida", a "Cape Cod" further up the east coast, and up north, too far to the west, perhaps a mini-Hudson's Bay with a Ungava Bay to its east.

It's separated from your "South America", unlike ours (i.e. your Sea of Aseer is our Panama Canal!) and your South America is a completely different shape. "West Africa" comes very close to the "Gulf of Mexico" and I guess those islands could be like a "Caribbean", much too close to Africa. (Actually the largest one is even shaped quite like Cuba! It's a bit too far from "Florida" though.)

Anyway, I say all that not to be a smart-ass, but because maybe psychologically, subconsciously even, it helps to make your world feel realistic for the viewer/reader.

Cheers - Monty

vorropohaiah
08-19-2013, 12:30 AM
Old thread, sorry, but this seems the best place to post a response to your stereographic map of Elyden. I had to write and say that of all the fictional maps I have seen, yours appeals to me most in terms of the shape and quality of the coastlines and land masses. At the large scale, the shapes of the continents have a great quality to them. They are interestingly shaped without ever being spindly or grotesque. And at the small scale, the detailed nooks and crannies of the coastlines are excellently done. There's also a lot of variety, which I like because it suggests different kinds of erosion forces at work, or other forces that have local effects on the shapes of coastlines. Recently I was reading about fractal dimensions of coastlines: it turns out that on earth, the crinkliness of most shorelines is independent of scale. So the coast of Norway, which is very crinkly (I hear it won awards :-) is similarly crinkly when viewed at different scales. And the coast of South Africa, which is much smoother, looks similar to itself at different scales. And sometimes I see fictional maps where at the large scale, the coast lines are very smooth, and it's only at the very small scale that it suddenly becomes extra crinkly. So, well done.
thanks a lot for the comments! its always nice to see someone not just giving a once-over to the map, but actually soaking it up, being rewarded with some of the little details that went into making it :)

about the coastlines, I was aware of the 'fractal' effect that you mentioned and try to include it in my work, keeping in mind all along what's craggy far out will be similar up close (like the engineers from the Hitchikers Guide, or the Demiurges themselves who shaped the world im mapping).

Two questions: is this stereographic map a reprojection from another view? (And if so, which was the original view, how did you reproject it, and how much touching up afterwards etc.)
yes, its a reprojection of an equirectangular version of the same work map, run through a NASA software called G. Projector to get (almost) any other projection i want. having said that the original equirctangular map is now probably a few years old and hasnt been updated to match changes made to the stereographic (unfortunately, the software doesnt work in reverse so i cant reconvert a touched up sterographic map back into equiretangular), so getting any changes (and there have been a lot, particularly in the north pole) translated to the base equirectangular map is a bit annoying.

And second, was the resemblance to our Earth subconscious or deliberate? Here are the similarities (and I think the map, and world from what I've seen, are wonderful whatever the case so don't take this as criticism):
The Inner Sea <==> Mediterranean. It has a Europe-like shape above it, and an Africa-like shape beneath it. It has a "Gibraltar" separating it from the sea of serpents (border with the Atlantic), and a "fertile crescent" at the far end (even with a literal Zion!). It has a Greece with very many little islands of the coast and it connects to a Black Sea/Dark Sea. In your world, what would be the Black Sea connects to what would be the Persian Gulf - I love that you can get all the way through. The place names: there are some that sound Greek on the north shore, and some that sound Arabic on the southern shore.

You have a "Scandinavia" protruding out from the continent in the northern hemisphere - I can see the resemblance better on the polar map. (Yours is further east than earth's.)

At the north-eastern tip of your "Asia" is a "Bering land bridge" connecting it to the large continent that would be North America (I mean the connection between the Ialcus Sea and the Sea of Akry). Your "North America" has a "Gulf of Mexico", a fattened "Florida", a "Cape Cod" further up the east coast, and up north, too far to the west, perhaps a mini-Hudson's Bay with a Ungava Bay to its east.

It's separated from your "South America", unlike ours (i.e. your Sea of Aseer is our Panama Canal!) and your South America is a completely different shape. "West Africa" comes very close to the "Gulf of Mexico" and I guess those islands could be like a "Caribbean", much too close to Africa. (Actually the largest one is even shaped quite like Cuba! It's a bit too far from "Florida" though.)

Anyway, I say all that not to be a smart-ass, but because maybe psychologically, subconsciously even, it helps to make your world feel realistic for the viewer/reader.

Cheers - Monty
yep it was concious, though largely from a worldbuilding and culture-creating point of view (and isnt as blatant as some other fantasy worlds out there - yes, warhammer, i'm looking at you! the way i see it (and i might be wrong) the old world advanced the way it did thanks to its climate and terrain - the mediterranean sea, favourable climate of continental europe and, earlier on, the fertile crescent and the nile, were all contributors to the rise of 'advanced civilisations' so i felt it necessary to create something similar, though you might notice that the farther away one moves from the inner sea, the less earth-like the map becomes. The continent of Bror (not sure it's labelled yet - its the rectangular one on the south of the eastern hemisphere) doesn't really translate to a world map and southern sammaea (south africe) is far more expansive with a much longer coastline. Iconciously made two 'gibraltar straits' - one to the west and east of the inner sea as i felt it would aid sea travel and trade, helping explain the more advanced cultures of the regions (though in the history im creating, the world is dying and the sea levels are slowly lowering - it wont be long before the Nartheli Strait is drained and travel between the inner sea and the dark sea will be halted, no doubt creating lots of problems to the world economy...

though having said that, now that im seeing it spelled out like this, it does seem more blatant than i had originally thought. also, proportionately, the Mediterranean is much larger than on earth (the world itself is a bit larger than earth as well - equatorial radius 6,028 miles), though your comment about cuba made be smile - never noticed that!

thanks a lot for the comments, and do keep in mind that this is very much alive, though still heavily WIP. - im still labelling it, when i get the chance to, though my 'perfectionism' means that every label necessitaties me creating an entry in my world encyclopaedia with at least a vague description, from a Korachani P.O.V, which also leads to adding more stuff to the encyclopaedia like culture, history, groups, flora fauna etc. so on small dot and label on the map might translate to a day's worth of research and writing. the goal is to get most of the map as heavily labelled as the area around the Inner Sea, which i have been slowly working on for close to a decade now.

AvuncularMontague
08-19-2013, 02:29 AM
Thanks for the detailed answers! From the information in your sidebar it appears that you live on the island of Heamm (closest analogy I could find) so I can imagine that you know the Inner Sea very well.

And I wouldn't use the word "blatant" about the resemblance. Another enormous difference is that what I called your "Asia" is tiny in comparison with the real thing. Oh and I didn't mention that your "Scandinavia" is flipped horizontally, so it's grabbing towards the east rather than the west...

One last question about the coastlines. Did you at any stage use any methods like difference clouds, or fractal generation, to get short bits of shore you could plug in and combine? My guess is no - I think they turn out better if someone has the right eye for that sort of thing and just draws it themselves.

Compliments again on the enormity of your project and especially your stick-with-it-ness. This, as much as the actual content you've produced, is inspiring.

vorropohaiah
08-19-2013, 02:35 PM
Thanks for the detailed answers! From the information in your sidebar it appears that you live on the island of Heamm (closest analogy I could find) so I can imagine that you know the Inner Sea very well.
I love this! though the world Elyden is roughly analogous with the real world, i never made a concious effort to make any correlation between longitudes and latitudes... having said that, I do live on the island of Malta, which is just south of Sicily. which in the world of Elyden would technically translate to Hoamm. now that's serendipity. Having said that, what i imagine to be the equivalent of malta is actually somewhat farther west, south of the gulf of Skaros. Maleth, which is old phoenecian for malta (which was itself a phoenecian colonly way back when)

And I wouldn't use the word "blatant" about the resemblance. Another enormous difference is that what I called your "Asia" is tiny in comparison with the real thing. Oh and I didn't mention that your "Scandinavia" is flipped horizontally, so it's grabbing towards the east rather than the west...

One last question about the coastlines. Did you at any stage use any methods like difference clouds, or fractal generation, to get short bits of shore you could plug in and combine? My guess is no - I think they turn out better if someone has the right eye for that sort of thing and just draws it themselves.

ive tried using clouds before but dont like the randomness (for this map, in particular rather than in general - if i was creating a random landmass id have no problems using threshold on clouds). the map originated about 8 years ago i its present form, with the inner sea and the surrounding areas drawn on a poster map by hand that was photographed some years later and used as the basis over which i traced an updated coastine with a size 2 brush. i then slowly added more and more to it until i got the full world. then i followed that with a lot of messing about to get a spherical projection i was happy with and went through the painstaking task of reverse engineering the spehrical graticules into equrectangular grids.

Compliments again on the enormity of your project and especially your stick-with-it-ness. This, as much as the actual content you've produced, is inspiring.
thanks again. now that ive settled into my new appartent i hope to get some more work done on this, though work will be slow... :)

AvuncularMontague
08-19-2013, 05:13 PM
In case you thought I'd found Hoamm by looking up its longitude and latitude, no, I just found what looked like an analogous place to Malta. I see what you mean about Maleth -- but there's no correspondong Italy/Sicily to complete the analogy.

Diamond
08-19-2013, 11:16 PM
now that ive settled into my new appartent i hope to get some more work done on this, though work will be slow... :)

Some work is better than no work; I was hoping this hadn't died on the vine! :D

vorropohaiah
08-20-2013, 01:17 AM
In case you thought I'd found Hoamm by looking up its longitude and latitude, no, I just found what looked like an analogous place to Malta. I see what you mean about Maleth -- but there's no corresponding Italy/Sicily to complete the analogy.
I thought that wasn't right! I don't actually have my maps at the moment so couldnt check. feeling embarrassed now :p

yeah, not that there's much to update with - mostly it's just random addition of labels around the map, no nothing that really warrants a new update pic. I guess that will come once I've done more work on the peripheral stuff like the moon, constellation hemispheres, and other border stuff. I was also thinking (as per someone's suggestion earlier on in the thread) of including some nation flags/emblems, though how many to add? just the inner sea nations or farther afield as well? they'll also take up a lot of room on the map. honestly i should have done a mock-up earlier on as at this rate ill probably end up redisigning a lot of the borders, wasting a lot of old work. ah well :)

Eilathen
08-20-2013, 08:08 AM
Hey, good to have you back, vorro! Looking forward to any and all maps you'll produce!

Look who's talking ... :P :D ;)

kurtzknight
09-06-2013, 01:07 AM
I love this map. It inspired me to make a stereographic map as well. Thanks for the great work.

vorropohaiah
09-06-2013, 02:09 AM
thats' great!

I'm still slowly slaving away at this, tjhough progress is slow, even as little as 10-20 labels a day, given the amount of writing and updating of my world-notes that comes with each one. though each one is a step closer :) then its a simple matte of stitching th 2 globes together in one image, flattening them and beginning work on revising the borders and other information (moons, constellations, etc.

The_Buce
02-19-2014, 07:33 AM
Holy heck that is awesome! I must admit, I've not seen the most recent version (I had to skip to the end to post something!) but I'm going to check it all out thoroughly when I get home :)

Wonderful map by the looks of it, though - I've wanted to do something on this scale for a while but I'm not brave enough, yet!

vorropohaiah
02-19-2014, 07:53 AM
thanks :) it's a pretty big undertaking especially as most of the world is not yet decided. I add to it sporadically though I haven't done much work on it lately - last i done was a draw-over on the entire map border, starting the whole thing from scratch and figuring out what i'm going to do with the negative space. ill try update it soon. dont hold your breath though :)

Llannagh
03-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I should be used to this by now, but you again blew my mind here. ;) I admire your tenacity!

What resolution are you working with?

vorropohaiah
03-02-2014, 06:37 AM
25300 x 16200 px. Almost 5' x 7' When finished i want to print it out and frame it... when... if :)

Llannagh
03-02-2014, 06:49 AM
holy cow. :) no wonder your laptop's having trouble! I'm assuming 150 ppi? Or more?

Sorry for asking, it's just that when I started out working on my maps I struggled to find the right settings without blowing up my computer. And originally I wanted something about the size of your maps with a high zoomability.

vorropohaiah
03-02-2014, 07:03 AM
works out to 300 dpi (for print). ive since upgraded to a PC with an SSD and 16GB RAM which makes a hell of a difference!

Llannagh
03-02-2014, 08:41 AM
works out to 300 dpi (for print). ive since upgraded to a PC with an SSD and 16GB RAM which makes a hell of a difference!

Yeah, me too. My computer was getting too old anyway. It really is woth it!