PDA

View Full Version : February 2013 Entry: As yet unnamed...

Ramah
02-18-2013, 05:00 AM
Hey there,

This is just a posting of intent where I thougt I'd lay out a few ideas of where I would like to go with this. Other than a quick sketch in a notebook I have nothing to show so far. I may try and take a photo of it to upload later as I haven't tried getting my crappy scanner to work for like... eight years? Not even sure where the leads are.

So anyway... this will be a hand-drawn, overhead map of a city. I'm thinking of fusing a kind of quasi-steampunk/medieval (steamserf?) type thing but I'm not sure how much of that will come across in the actual map. Really, I just want to do a nice steampunky border along the lines of my Bellows/Mechanol maps. :)
So, something has happened in this city - possibly to do with its nefarious overlord getting far too steampunky - and there has been a seismic event that has kinda chopped the city in two, allowing the sea to rush in and leave much of the place submerged. The overlord's castle/palace still partly stands, possibly the treasury is still there but is underwater and here is where the map comes in for those ingenious steampunky salvage guys with their nemo style submersible (won't be shown... just backstory).

So that's basically it.

I'm not expecting great things but hopefully I will get the time to actually produce something this time. The only other time I tried to enter a challenge I got no further than making a similar post to this one, although that one did at least have a rough sketch with it. :S

Ramah
02-19-2013, 04:54 PM
Ok, here is the first half-finished rough sketch of my undrowned town.. hey, I quite like that name for something... The Undrowned Town. :)

Anyway, I wanted to be further along than this but the fact that the kids are off school with half-term throws everything up in the air. Also, the place is now half clinging to a cliff side which is not how I originally envisioned it at all so I'm having to burn some brain rubber as I'm going.

### LATEST WIP ###

As is the case with most I would think, I'm going to get it pretty sorted how the town looked originally then I'm gonna have a little fun raining a little destruction down on it. The current idea is that the smaller island between the town and the large island houses a university of the Steammancers or somesuch nonsense. They're drilling and using natural volcanic heat for their steam paraphernalia and went somewhat too far... damn you! Damn you all to hell!

Not sure yet whether the finished map will be a comparison map or just the flooded version. Gonna do some experiments when I get there.

Anyway... onwards.

mearrin69
02-19-2013, 05:20 PM
Your sketch looks truly amazing as a thumbnail. I clicked on it and was a lil disappointed to find only a sketch! :) No offense. I think that's a good thing. It must mean that your composition is just right. When you get it all put together it should be awesome. Looking forward to it.
M

arsheesh
02-19-2013, 06:53 PM
This looks very promising, but then I'd expect nothing less from you Ramah! Glad to see you doing a challenge. Look forward to seeing it progress.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

RjBeals
02-20-2013, 10:10 AM
Even your sketches are badass. :)
can't wait to see what you do with this!

Jaxilon
02-20-2013, 10:43 PM
Wow Ramah, this looks incredible already. I'm like the others and rather hopeful to see what you have at the finish.

I'll admit I have been out of the house for family reasons this last week and did a little sketching of an idea I had for this but but just your sketch alone is a little intimidating :) Which is why I should probably enter all the more so because that just makes me work harder. My only real issue is time because I'm swamped by work but for a couple hours here and there. Oh well, thanks for making me feel like I just have to get in on this.

Ramah
02-21-2013, 08:24 AM
Thanks guys.

Mearin: Hehe, no offense taken. It doesn't look good up close. Hopefully I can rectify that in the final image but I do have my doubts.

Jax: Glad I've motivated you in some small way and I hope you do enter. :)

I haven't really gotten any work done on this since I posted up the sketch and I can certainly feel time slipping away from me. I'm still hopeful that I will get something more complete, albeit somewhat unpolished up before the challenge finishes.

Ramah
02-25-2013, 10:06 AM
Seriously gonna have a hard time finishing this in time. :S

Anyway, here's an update. Still working on the unsunk version.

### LATEST WIP ###

It may seem too dark in places but I'm going to wait until I have everything in before I start altering the values of it.

- Max -
02-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Hope you can finish it in time. I like the nice color scheme.

mearrin69
02-25-2013, 11:59 AM
Very pretty! I hope you can finish it.
M

Gamerprinter
02-25-2013, 12:29 PM
You can really see the depth - I look forward to see what you place in the sunken parts.

Pryme8
02-26-2013, 12:48 PM
can you please write a tutorial on how you did that rock structure on the left? the little island thing! I love the way the rocks look, but am having trouble figuring out how you did that, if its you putting dark and light in manually I an impressed greatly...

Ramah
02-27-2013, 08:56 AM
I've managed to get some hours in on this over the last few days but I'm still nowhere near finished and I'm pretty sure my entry will be incomplete and maybe not even submerged at all so won't really be inside the challenge rules. Maybe if this was a normal month and not a short one then I might have stood more of a chance but those missing two or three days and the fact that I am just soooo slow has done me in. :S

Pryme8: Unfortunately I don't have a quick way of doing it. It's all hand done. Outline and then 6 layers of colouring (two base layers, two shadow layers and two highlight layers) so I'm not sure a tutorial would be feasible.

Mateus090985
02-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Impressive! I loved how you did the clifs =)

vorropohaiah
02-27-2013, 09:51 AM
shame you wont be able to fit this in in time, its shaping up nicely. perhaps i'm odd, though i think i prefer the sketch to the latest wip. maybe the sketchiness of it? not sure, though i can imagine something along those lines appearing on a field guide or traveller's diary.

Beoner
02-27-2013, 10:05 AM
Unbelievable, all your works always impress me Ramah. Indeed is too bad you won't be able to finish on time. The question is, will you try to finish it just for fun? I'd love to see it done even if not in this challenge.

Ramah
02-28-2013, 04:07 PM
Lord Sebastian Farquhar's Manse, the Excelsior and the Isle of the Steammancers...

### LATEST WIP ###

I'm still chipping away at it. Hopefully I will get a full size update in later when I've sorted a few things out... still not sunk anything yet but those dastardly steammancers are drilling too deep. :O

arsheesh
02-28-2013, 04:32 PM
Hot Damn Ramah, that's awesome! I'm so looking forward to seeing this completed.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
02-28-2013, 04:48 PM
That rocks Ramah!

vorropohaiah
02-28-2013, 04:51 PM
nice! and quite the change from the first sketch!

Ramah
02-28-2013, 05:15 PM
Thanks guys. :)

Unfortunately I'm pretty burned out with this right now so I won't be rushing through an update like I intended. I had considered cutting down the area of the map and rattling off a quick sunken version so I had a proper entry into the challenge but I've come to the conclusion that if I did that then my motivation to carry on with it and finish it like I intended would drop off. So I guess that last image I posted will be my unsunk entry. Hehe. Sorry I couldn't get this done in time. Missing the first week of the challenge, the kids being off school for a week, a short month and my utter inability to go above a snail's pace have done me in.
Anyway, I intend to carry on working on this as I am enjoying it but I will now finish at my own pace. So expect it in about a year's time. :)

Good luck to everyone who has entered the challenge this month - there are quite a few worthy entries and it will be interesting to see how the voting goes.

Bogie
02-28-2013, 05:35 PM
Excellent work! Drilling to deep for Steam? Could release a geyser, or worse drill into a lava flow!!

Kier
02-28-2013, 07:10 PM
Very cool. Love the crisp clean lines, look so mechanized, and then the pipes tie right into the feel of the map.

Jaxilon
02-28-2013, 07:51 PM
Wow Ramah, even unfinished this is a way awesome piece. If you somehow did finish it by tonight I think this would blow the rest of our entries out of the water! Haha, no pun intended.

Ramah
03-01-2013, 07:48 AM
Hehe. Thanks, Jax but there's no way I can finish it now. At least I can go watch some TV or take a break without feeling guilty now... well... not from this particular map at least.

Anyhow, I'll put up an update soon. It's still only 3/4 complete on the first version of the map but at least it won't just be a snapshot being sent forward into the challenge.

Oh, and the best name ever for a disreputable steampunk tavern occurred to me: "Drunken Piston"... I'm actually looking forward to putting some text on a map for once. :D

Jaxilon
03-01-2013, 10:24 AM
Well, you are an inspirational artist to me because every time I see something you have done it makes me want to go draw. I love that feeling and I'm sure I speak for all the rest of us in saying I always look forward to seeing more of your stuff.