PDA

View Full Version : >.> I like maps.

GlassSphere
06-11-2008, 02:22 AM
Hey ya, I'm new here and was surprised to see a community doing something that I was experimenting with myself to learn more so I could teach others :P
I like most types of maps, parchment maps and realistic maps really catch my eyes, the kinds of maps I don't like are black-white-gray maps or maps that look like modern road maps.

It's funny, some of the tutorials I saw I'm like "hey! thats my method, I invented that too!"

I've currently been using Photoshop, I just attempted to use the gimp after reading some stuff here. I like the Gimp's texture-making ability, but I don't think depart from PS without my precious layer blending options.

I don't actually make maps yet, currently I'm just experimenting/researching with methods of creating elements in a realistic map (trees mountains water clouds).

Heres the map/terrain I attempted in the gimp today.
http://img444.imageshack.us/img444/2432/gimpradalevy1.th.jpg (http://img444.imageshack.us/my.php?image=gimpradalevy1.jpg)

I hope to learn and maby even teach something!

ravells
06-11-2008, 06:23 AM
Great to have you here, GlasssSphere. As you can see, this is a site where we freely pass on techniques to each other to improve the quality of our map making - so welcome to the Guild!

As a matter of general convenience, you can download images directly to the site rather than having to post onto file sharing servers. Click the 'Go Advanced' button and then the 'manage attachments button' to do this.

jfrazierjr
06-11-2008, 11:40 AM
Welcome GlassSphere! Post some more maps here as soons as you are able. Don't be shy about posting up works in progress either.

Joe

NeonKnight
06-11-2008, 09:13 PM
Welcome aboard. Many helpful folks here. Many...

Painter
07-22-2008, 12:21 AM
I've been a member here for a while but have never posted.

I'm an artist and muralist by trade and I have a lifelong fascination with maps. I found this forum when i was working on a map mural for a client.

Even after reading the FAQ I wasn't sure how to post, so I'm using the quick reply option!

I'm planning to become more involved.....lots of talent and creativity here.

Gamerprinter
07-22-2008, 12:30 AM
I've been a member here for a while but have never posted.

I'm an artist and muralist by trade and I have a lifelong fascination with maps. I found this forum when i was working on a map mural for a client.

Even after reading the FAQ I wasn't sure how to post, so I'm using the quick reply option!

I'm planning to become more involved.....lots of talent and creativity here.

I'm sure its in the FAQ, but a the top of whichever Forum your are creating a new thread, there's a button just above Forum thread titles that says "New Thread", click this and start your thread.

Do this in the introductions for your own thread, but welcome just the same!

GP

ravells
07-22-2008, 09:37 AM
Hi Painter - I would love to see some pictures of murals that you have painted! (I know they are probably not maps, but all the same).