PDA

View Full Version : Lair of Azselan

Neyjour
02-21-2013, 09:08 PM
I've been wanting to try my hand at a desert map for a long time, but all my previous attempts were disappointing. But I decided to give it a try again, this time with something fairly simple, and I'm quite happy with the results. :)

I had two thoughts on possible scenarios while creating this one:
1) The skeleton is a warning to adventurers, that whatever lurks inside the cave is mean and nasty enough to kill a dragon, so tread very, very carefully!
2) The dragon skeleton is actually alive/reanimated and simply "plays dead", waiting for adventurers to enter its lair before following (and trapping) them inside.

The full-rez version can be downloaded HERE (http://neyjour.deviantart.com/art/Lair-of-Azselan-354813305)

Bogie
02-22-2013, 12:02 AM
Your work never disappoints!

anomiecoalition
02-22-2013, 12:16 AM
Awesome...might have to find a way to throw that into my al-qadim game...gives me an excuse to map out a new cave. :)

Neyjour
02-22-2013, 01:22 AM
Bogie, anomiecoalition ... thanks very much!

Hope it works out for you, with your game. Have fun! :)

Jacktannery
02-22-2013, 04:19 AM
Beautiful map (as usual). You've done a really good job with the sand, which is difficult over such a large area without looking 'texture-y'.

Neyjour
02-22-2013, 09:34 AM
Thank you, Jack! :)

Actually, I didn't have to do much to the sand, which really surprised me. It's a texture from CGTextures, and I just turned it into a seamless tile and did a bucket fill. I was expecting to have have to do a lot of cloning, thinking there would be a noticeable repeating pattern, but there wasn't! Then I just laid some transparent rocky/cracked overlays on top (which I made from another texture from CGTextures), made a few tweaks to those, and that was it. I was so happy. LOL!! I've found it very difficult to find good desert sand textures, which is part of the reason why my previous attempts at a desert map failed.

Thanks again! Glad you liked it. :D

Ndreare
04-12-2013, 12:12 AM
Awesome. Makes me want to find a way to put in one of my adventures.

Neyjour
04-12-2013, 12:24 AM
Thanks. Hope you enjoy it. :)