PDA

View Full Version : The Stormwatch -- 4E WIP

delgondahntelius
06-11-2008, 04:13 PM
As promised... I have joined the band wagon and started my own Point of Light 'campaign' ... this actually serves two purposes... My youngest (15) has had a fantasy world developed for a number of years now, Dinraven, which he writes short stories in and eventually plans to play D&D in ... I said.. why not, lets use your world to learn 4e and at the same time ... flesh it out and put some meat on it... so, now you are up to date.

This is a regional area we've named "The Stormwatch" a large tower atop the flat/tablelands looks over the region for miles... even seeing the mountains hundreds of miles away (Mountains are known as the Eversight) though you can see storms for miles.. it was called Stormwatch because it was a line of defense in the old kingdoms to warn of dangerous activities of orc armies, dragons, giants and troll kings....

I plan to use a small village (estimate 220-240 pop.) named Wolfdell, I believe you may be able to see its location on the map. A map of that village should be up in the town/city section shortly... Instead of hand drawing these ... i'm going to attempt to do these in either illustrator or PS ... I might go with Illustrator... just cause I like the program so much and I haven't had a chance to do a regional map with it.

Any glaring problems with the map?? RobA should note that the rivers all flow INTO the mountains... Everyone else should note they flow in the opposite direction of that...

Most of the top half of the map are rugged hills and foothills before it climbs into the Eversight Mountain chain. Wild lands fraught with danger and adventure....

NeonKnight
06-11-2008, 08:18 PM
Ooooh, I like it a lot. Can't wait to see some color on that!

ravells
06-12-2008, 05:03 AM
Very nice indeed! I love regional maps with lots of detail in them. Nothing leaps out at me as inconsistant or wrong in any way.

delgondahntelius
06-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Well.. I put some color to it ... still have a lot of work to go, but thought I'd go ahead and update it...

jfrazierjr
06-14-2008, 12:34 PM
Well.. I put some color to it ... still have a lot of work to go, but thought I'd go ahead and update it...

Very cool.

The-Somberlain
06-15-2008, 06:53 AM
Very nice mountains. I like the coloring so much! Keep it up...

delgondahntelius
06-15-2008, 08:14 AM
ahh.. thank you friends... I wish I could claim soul responsibility for that style, but they were greatly influenced by Sirith and his tutorial http://www.cartographersguild.com/showthread.php?t=1467 only his look much much better.. :D

delgondahntelius
06-16-2008, 08:24 PM
And some forests.... I kinda like this style.. might keep it... just so hard to find the right look....

torstan
06-17-2008, 04:44 AM
Looking good. I meant to mention this when you put up the pencil sketch, but watch out for those plateaus in the SE corner. You've elongated and flattened them because you've drawn them in an isometric style. However I'm guessing the area they cover is not a flattened oval if you were looking directly down from above. From the layout of the other elements it looks like you are mapping the areas as if you were looking down from above but mapping the contents of those areas with isometric icons. If this is the case then the plateaus need to be stretched vertically. If not then feel free to ignore this post! Otherwise, it is coming along nicely.

jfrazierjr
06-17-2008, 08:13 AM
From the layout of the other elements it looks like you are mapping the areas as if you were looking down from above but mapping the contests of those areas with isometric icons. If this is the case then the plateaus need to be stretched vertically. If not then feel free to ignore this post! Otherwise, it is coming along nicely.

tree trunks goooood.... no tree trunks baaaaddd.... heh...

Looking pretty good...

I think the bright colors of the forests kind of "yells" when compared to the muted colors of the background and the gray mountains. Perhaps it will come together more in my mind after you do some more placement though.

Joe

Karro
06-17-2008, 12:37 PM
I think the bright colors of the forests kind of "yells" when compared to the muted colors of the background and the gray mountains. Perhaps it will come together more in my mind after you do some more placement though.

Joe

I have to agree. They should probably be toned down just a little.

delgondahntelius
06-18-2008, 02:54 AM
Forest toned down .. I agree it was way too bright for the colors on the map ... this one i hope fits a little better...

Karro
06-18-2008, 09:49 AM
That's better I think. I like the trunks in the forest.

One thought, though: it looks like the river lays down on top of the forest rather than going through the forest. That might be just the way this style works, though.

jfrazierjr
06-18-2008, 09:59 AM
That's better I think. I like the trunks in the forest.

One thought, though: it looks like the river lays down on top of the forest rather than going through the forest. That might be just the way this style works, though.

<homer>mmmmmm.... tree trunks good.....</homer>

What Karro said about the river. Perhaps a layermask from the river applied to the forests layer?

You may also want to rethink about the shadows on the forests as they don't match up with the mountains. You might also try using the smudge tool to pull down some of the black off of the mountains into the base terrain and that might help some, not sure (but I tend to like smudges a lot would probably do that to ISO mountains anyway) though. If you do try, use a smallish brush and make sure you can undo (or save beforehand) far enough back in case you don't like it.

Joe

Karro
06-18-2008, 10:09 AM
<homer>mmmmmm.... tree trunks good.....</homer>

What Karro said about the river. Perhaps a layermask from the river applied to the forests layer?

You may also want to rethink about the shadows on the forests as they don't match up with the mountains. You might also try using the smudge tool to pull down some of the black off of the mountains into the base terrain and that might help some, not sure (but I tend to like smudges a lot would probably do that to ISO mountains anyway) though. If you do try, use a smallish brush and make sure you can undo (or save beforehand) far enough back in case you don't like it.

Joe

The solution I would actually use (on the forest), hearkening back to hand-drawn maps I've done, is to separate the forest into sections that abut the river. I'd even have tree trunks visible along the river's edge where it would make sense in the iso format.

Albeit, that might be a bit time consuming...

delgondahntelius
06-22-2008, 12:21 AM
the forests aren't completed... I just wanted to update this... I decided to let the rivers flow thru the forest and show the forest seperate like I did for the hand drawn version...

Karro
06-22-2008, 01:02 AM
Looking good. Look forward to see it develop.

I assume the new forests are eventually going to look more like the first forest near the top?

delgondahntelius
06-22-2008, 01:15 AM
you would assume correctly sir :D

delgondahntelius
06-28-2008, 06:11 AM
fixed the forests so they all pretty much match together...

On to tree trunks... :)

weeeeeeeeeeeeee

Also fixed the rivers at the edge of the map.. that was bothering me :)

delgondahntelius
06-28-2008, 08:20 AM
need some feedback on my treetrunks .... good bad... ugly?

torstan
06-28-2008, 09:34 AM
They look good to me. I'd not take them right out to the edges - some of the ones at the side must only have half a tree on top as they don't have any overhanging green!

I'd also suggest a drop shadow under the forest, behind the trunks. It should look darker as you see under the forest edge, through the trunks. Otherwise - nice. Good work.

jfrazierjr
06-28-2008, 10:44 AM
They look good to me. I'd not take them right out to the edges - some of the ones at the side must only have half a tree on top as they don't have any overhanging green!

I'd also suggest a drop shadow under the forest, behind the trunks. It should look darker as you see under the forest edge, through the trunks. Otherwise - nice. Good work.

I agree totally. The small picture looks good and the scale is good when compared to the mountains in the background. Just be careful when you add shadow so you don't overtake the trunks..

Joe

delgondahntelius
06-28-2008, 04:42 PM
thanks torstan, joejr ... i was waiting on the shadow till i got the trunks down... one thing at a time people... my overdeveloped mind is attuned to things you could never imagine and therefore can only accept one thing at a time or my head might actually explode .... kidding of course :D

here's a tip for anyone tho who might care.... concerning scale and mountians... especially mountains in this type of iso map.... best tip I ever learned when drawing hand drawn mountains is never really consider the scale of the mountains your drawing, they don't actually represent each and every mountain. (as long as you don't go into ridiculous extremes) For some reason this helped me way back in the beginning when I had such trouble on drawing mountains.

Hopefully ... that made sense :D thanks for the tips tho guys :D that is why I love this place

delgondahntelius
06-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Forests done... trunks done... shading done ... i hope.

My hills however SUCK ..... I think that the background may have to be redone a bit or perhaps my hills need to be redone.... feedback would be appreciated... :D

StillCypher
06-28-2008, 10:26 PM
I don't see anything wrong with your hills that couldn't be fixed with making them a little bigger/taller -- and coloring them similar to the way you colored your mountains. Maybe kind of a greenish... goldish (to match your background) color?

And the trees... They're just not doing it for me. I'm afraid they look too flat to me. Too... much like a carpet with legs.

::FLEE!::

delgondahntelius
06-29-2008, 01:35 AM
I like the idea of a darker goldish color to the hills.... to a greenish/gold for the lower 'rolling' hills as it were...

Nuh-uh!! carpets don't have legs, everyone knows they only have elbows...

I'm trying to find my own 'style' ... so its a hit or miss... trial and error sorta thing...

No need to flee my friend... I accept all forms of critique and criticism... without it we cannot grow and exceed in ability :D

delgondahntelius
06-29-2008, 02:25 AM
don't mind the going out of the lines.. this is just a quick color test for the hills....

torstan
06-29-2008, 03:09 AM
I'd suggest changing the layer type on the hills to overlay (and perhaps keeping a low opacity normal copy above it) so that they blend into the map a bit more. Because they are small, they are actually a bit darker than the mountains because of the detail. This might help there.

You also need to sort out your rift. It stands out like a sore thumb as the only non-iso element.

torstan
06-29-2008, 03:10 AM
And given you've been having a go at my maps on this, I'll cry hypocrit and ask for a scale :)

delgondahntelius
06-29-2008, 04:14 AM
please refer to original post in the thread :)

torstan
06-29-2008, 04:19 AM
Oh yes, the canyon does look better in the first post :)

delgondahntelius
06-29-2008, 06:02 AM
lol... ouch :) you know.. I really liked the canyon/cleft I'd done... *sniff*

torstan
06-29-2008, 06:20 AM
Don't get me wrong. It's lovely - it's just the wrong perspective.

delgondahntelius
06-29-2008, 06:51 AM
ya... I went like that ... cause well frankly ... I have trouble drawing an iso crevasse... i know... i know... I call myself a cartographer and can't even draw a decent iso canyon ....

ya know... zoolander couldn't turn left... but he was still an awesome male model ....

StillCypher
07-02-2008, 02:29 AM
Hm... The new version has perspective working against it. It looks straight on, where the first one was at an angle -- so you'd have more of the "far" side showing than the "near" side. And the one in your first post is also nicely nestled/blended with the hills.

delgondahntelius
07-02-2008, 11:15 PM
I'm hoping making the hills larger will help that problem... which I'll fix as soon as I'm able too.... got a couple of things on my plate that are ahead of this unfortunately..

Hawke
10-19-2008, 02:57 AM
I like how you've done the forests... any particular trick to it or are you doing it by "hand"?

delgondahntelius
10-23-2008, 09:21 PM
I was hoping someone would ask that :D

It was done using PS brush settings for color jitter... I can go through exactly how I did it if you really want to know.. otherwise, I won't bore you with the details :D

StillCypher
10-24-2008, 04:00 AM
Oh, Del, you're such a tease...!

delgondahntelius
10-24-2008, 06:25 AM
lol.... no, i just know that people sometimes post things up and forget about them, or never return... before I go into a step by step process, I'd like to know that there is a real general interest in it. I don't want to say that I would waste my time otherwise, because I honestly don't believe it would be a waste of time, but it would definitely detract from other more pressing things I'm doing at the moment.... if I had absolutely nothing to do, then that would be different :D...

A side note... I will be getting back to this map ... as soon as the village map is done.

StillCypher
10-24-2008, 10:45 AM
I'd be interested in seeing it, but no rush! :)

jfrazierjr
10-24-2008, 11:44 AM
I'd be interested in seeing it, but no rush! :)

Yes... do tell..

PokealypseNow
10-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Count me in, too.

delgondahntelius
10-24-2008, 04:43 PM
Well guess what NumbSKULL thing I did.... for some unknown reason beyond the reach of mortals, I seemed to have merged those forest layers together and saved it last time I was working on it.... (SIGH)

So ... I can't achieve that EXACT effect, though I do know the process behind it. It was done using about six different layers at varying levels of opacity and with about six different brushes ALL of which have the color jitter set up fairly high on the brush settings

playing with the Brightness Jitter as well. The brushes I used to make the following little forest were (six layers, six brushes) : 7338

I used the Lasso freehand to draw out a selection (you can use the path tool to do the same, I find the lasso easier) Gave it three strokes (save the selection)

Make sure the spacing is out to where I like (you can find the settings you wish to use... I just experiment as I go) and brush in the first layer, then the second brush on the second layer....(above the first.) varying my colors between dark and light green (don't be afraid to use black in place of a green) Third brush on the next layer and so forth.

I know this is kinda half-ass explained and I'm sorry for that. I can write a proper tutorial if the need is really that great. Sorry I don't think my style is THAT great that everyone needs to imitate or try to achieve.... :D

StillCypher
10-29-2008, 12:30 PM
Excellent! I can't wait to try this. In December. (Hello, NaNoWriMo is about to start! Gotta prepare for that!)