PDA

View Full Version : Greetings and salutations

dhalsimrocks
06-12-2008, 12:07 AM
Well now that I've properly geeked out in another thread about using plate tectonics to start a world map, I thought perhaps a formal introduction is in order. :-)

I have never once considered myself as much of a map maker. In fact, all of my efforts up until about 2 days ago were just hand drawn, badly scaled world maps for D&D campaigns.

For going on 10 years now, I've been working on a story that I aspire to one day turn into a series of novels, and for 10 years, I've had the same dingy old world map that I drew on a piece of graph paper in high school. Well, between moves, I seem to have lost that map and I needed to start over.

However I am now much more of a scientist than I was 10 years ago, and my mindset is now to base as much of my fantasy world as I can on real, scientific fact. For example, my new world map project is based on plate tectonics, and one of my hominid races is based on a "what-if" evolution of an extinct hominid from 1.5 million years ago called paranthropus boisei. My magic system is even loosely based on computer science.

But enough of that. Two days ago I started trying to come up with a way I could draw my map on my computer. You see, when it comes to image editing, I really just know the basics.

This morning I was searching google for ways of turning my new world map sketch into a more detailed terrain map. Since I'm a Linux user, GIMP is the most accessible image software at my disposal, so I searched for "GIMP map drawing" and lo and behold, I am linked to the outstanding guide written by RobA. I immediately registered and have really enjoyed the reading. I've learned a lot already and it hasn't even been 24 hours.

So anyway, this seems like a great place. I think I'll stick around. And who knows? There might be a cartographer in me just waiting to be unleashed. :-)

ravells
06-12-2008, 05:16 AM
Let's hope so! Welcome to the guild and thanks again for that great explanation on plate tectonics!

Dracontes
06-12-2008, 07:17 AM
Welcome to the Guild! Uh... I know I registered pretty much at the same time as you but best start practicing.

In fact I'm happy to find a like-minded person here so soon,* i. e., placing some effort in using scientific knowledge as a basis for one's work. So here's to lots of geeking out over geology, biology and astronomy :D

* I'm new here so I don't know of anyone else who is. Do come forward if you are!

jfrazierjr
06-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Welcome dhalsimrocks! Now, lets some some maps! Free free to post Works in progress, no matter how far along you are.

Joe

RobA
06-12-2008, 10:20 AM
Hia dhalsimrocks!

Glad you found us. Hope you stay! There have been a few discussions about geomorphology in the forums (I'm an engineer by professions so tend to geek out a bit in the area of realistic plausibility).

-Rob A>

Ascension
06-12-2008, 06:32 PM
I'm totally with you on the scientific basis for life forms, continents, etc. My monsters are rarely such fantastical creatures unless there is some sort of way I can make them evolve up from something simpler like, oh, I dunno, dog-people come from dogs or something. Same with the land, I don't put things in randomly, I think about how it might have evolved. Anyways, welcome from a fellow guild newbie.

NeonKnight
06-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Welcome aboard! Welcome aboard!