PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Fantasy bookseries

Thordred
02-26-2013, 02:48 PM
Right, so we have "Your favorite fantasy world" here - http://www.cartographersguild.com/general-discussion/20840-your-favourite-fantasy-world.html

I'd like to know if you guys read much fantasy, and if you do, what is your favorite book/bookseries.

Mine is, so far, Sword of Truth series by Terry Goodkind.

What's yours?

Spectre216
02-26-2013, 03:48 PM
The Mistborn trilogy by Brandon Sanderson is probably my favorite, though I guess we'll have to wait until I finally finish WoT.

Counlin
02-26-2013, 04:27 PM
Oh, I LOVE fantasy books. I've read so many I don't even remember the name of some. Anyway, from all the books I have read, the best is far the A song of ice and fire series, I'm so crazy waiting for the 6th book o.o

I also like the Drizzt series from R.A. Salvatore.

And no, I don't like the Lord of the Rings book, I find it boring to read and the story is too "slow". I kinda like the universe tough.

Midgardsormr
02-26-2013, 06:40 PM
At the moment, I think my favorite is Robin Hobb's Farseer and Tawny Man trilogies. I don't care quite as much for the Liveship Traders, which takes place between those two series, but it's still quite good.

I've heard great things about Martin, but there's no way I'm starting another huge fantasy epic until it's finished. One Wheel of Time is quite enough, thank you. (20 years since I started that one!?)

Thordred
02-26-2013, 08:16 PM
Right now I'm reading The Sword of Shadows series by JV Jones.

Hm... I read about lots of swords don't I? ^^

LS-Jebus
02-27-2013, 01:01 AM
I've liked some individual fantasy books, but the only series that stands out is A Song of Ice and Fire. I think that is because it is the kind of story I would write, had I any skill. It combines the elements I love creating in a fantasy world - complex cultures, politics, and history. And the conflicts are more personal or political, and aren't painted black and white; everyone is a shade of grey. And of course, George Martin is a talented writer. He describes things in a way that is sufficiently detailed but easy to read.

Every other series I've read has been lacking in some ways. I would love fantasy novels that read like something by Bernard Cornwell, but so far only ASOIAF has come close.

Beoner
02-27-2013, 08:05 AM
It can sounds a little bit clichê, but for me the best fantasy book series is still the one concerning all the Tolkien's LotR universe: Silmarillion, The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings, The Children of Húrin, Unfinished Tales (I guess that's the title in english). Yes, the LotR books (1,2,3) can be a little boring sometimes, I agree, specially the chapters of Frodo and Sam walking on the mountains.

Martin is doing a great job with the books (and HBO with the TV serie), and takes the 2nd place.

Eilathen
02-27-2013, 11:12 AM
The best Series? Hmm tough joice. There are some really good ones.

Steven Erikson's Malazan Book of the Fallen is superb.
R. Scott Bakker's Prince of Nothing comes very close to the MBotF.
I really dig the world and characters in Michelle West's Sun Sword sixtet.

Martin is not bad either. He is a bit slow in writting the damn thing and his world is quite standard-ish fare. But his characters are very well written (i think nobody writes as good a dialogue as he does).

@ LS - Jebus : with your list of criteria why you like ASoIaF you should totally try out Erikson and/or Bakker. They both totally kick Martin's ass when it comes to complex cultures and history. Shades of grey is also very much how i would describe both stories. Give it a try.

LS-Jebus
02-27-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm definitely going to check them out. It is very hard to find good a book series simply because there are so many to go through.

JoeyD473
02-28-2013, 10:16 AM
Tough to decide on a single best fantasy series but I love the Deeds of Paksennarion by Elizabeth Moon, The Mistborn Triliogy by Brandon Sanderson and Drizzt by Salvatore

Cain
03-05-2013, 09:38 AM
I just started reading fantasy and my jaw dropped when I finished the second book of the first law series by joe abercrombie. Soon starting the final book of the trilogy after I finish gardens of the moon by steven erikson.

I started reading after a long pause from it(last time i read fantasy was in elementary school. harry potter,eragon). So i guess I haven't read much but gardens of the moon is soo epic in scale that in all honesty i feel that the more i read of malazan book of the fallen the more I'll like it, but the setting in first law trilogy feels really strong(maybe i just like the way he writes the story) i really enjoyed the first two books and I have to say the third one is unlikely disappoint me no matter what joe decided to write since he already created a strong feeling of wanting to finish the series through a great set of characters. Meaning the characters are certainly a driving point and the story is being orchestrated by the ancient mage that likes to talk in riddles and always leaves a thirst for more information about the world or characters. Now that is something that isn't going to work with bad pacing or boring setting, so I have to go with the first law series. Up close and personal is the feeling I got from this series.

Greason Wolfe
03-06-2013, 11:12 PM
As a few others have said, it is difficult to pick an absolute favorite. I'm a moody reader at times, so what I do or don't enjoy changes from time to time. I can say, though, that it usually comes down to 1 of 6 series (in no particular order, and all of which have been read multiple times);

Dragon Prince/Dragon Star by Melanie Rawn
The Mythgar series (not really a series but there is an overall story arc to the books) by Denis McKiernan
Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephan Donaldson
The Shanara Series (well the first three books anyhow) by Terry Brooks
The Novels of Tiger and Dell by Jennifer Roberson (currently reading for the 5th or 6th time)
The Cleric Quintet by R.A. Salvatore

I'm sure I could name (honorably mention) more but that would be a rather long list.

GW