PDA

View Full Version : The Young Kingdoms

Diamond
02-28-2013, 01:43 AM
A semi-random map done mostly to try out some new mountain and tree brushes that I made based on some maps by Blaeu. The parchment background is one that Torstan kindly posted here a while back, color-edited and combined with some other grunge filters. Font is called Windlass. The rhumb lines are courtesy of Schwarzkreuz.

Many names are recycled from my other maps, cause, well, that's how I roll. :D

arsheesh
02-28-2013, 03:00 AM
Looks great, especially the new Mt brushes, they blend in very nicely.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

- Max -
02-28-2013, 04:48 AM
I love it, very nice and clean job as usual and this font is a lovely one. Have some rep to please my eyes :)

Eilathen
02-28-2013, 08:09 AM
I totally dig the flags (why do i have Sheldon in my ears with his "Fun with flags"-videos :D ?!)!
Not sure i care much for those mountains. They look more like waves or hills to me.

The overall look and feel of the map is great though.

sreynders
02-28-2013, 08:19 AM
I like it. I love the elements you used (mountains, forests, etc). The gradients in the flags are a little big too obvious though (imo).

Ramah
02-28-2013, 08:22 AM
Lovely map, Diamond. Your new elements work really well. :)

If I had to nitpick though I really don't like the gradient you've used on your flags. The rest of the map looks nice and aged whereas they just look digital.

ravells
02-28-2013, 08:43 AM
I totally agree with Ramah. A real style clash between the flags and the map, even though both are really well done, they don't belong to each other. You can try filtering the flags using this tutorial:
Lunacore Photoshop Training - Photo to Line Drawing tutorial (http://www.lunacore.com/photoshop/tutorials/tut011.htm)

Your maps are always stunning for clarity, but may this time it might be worth dialling back the pure black on the mountains to a dark brown so they aren't so colour dominant?

best

Ravs

vorropohaiah
02-28-2013, 09:16 AM
it took my eyes a while to adjust to the colours - i automatically kept on assuming the dark areas were the land, rather than vice-versa even though it's pretty obvious its the other way round! nice colours and the mountain brushes are nice (dont think the black to bad at all, though a dark brown might be better.

I agree about the flags - as this is still WIP i dont know what you have in mind for them but theyre far too crisp and clean. they need some noise and grunge or maybe should be moved beneath the paper layer to make them fit in with the map. as they are they just look like theyre a seperate thing

Beoner
02-28-2013, 09:19 AM
Hmm, I like your map, I must try doing mountains like this one day. Also the drawing above the scale bar is really impressive - I found it really, really cool :).

But I have to agree with Ramah, the flags don't fit like the rest of the map.

urxed
02-28-2013, 10:46 AM
I say make the land outline and rivers darker and harder in color to match the bloody fine mountains you have there!

- Max -
02-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Didn't noticed it at the first look:

Sounds like this one isn't recycled from your own map :D I like this ;)

kewlpack
02-28-2013, 02:18 PM
Love the style on this. Very classic in feel. I kinda like the pop of color and the "sterile" quality of the flags. They appear (to me) as a modern overlay. Kinda like you'd see in an encyclopedia. I don't mind the contrast of styles at all.

Counlin
02-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Nice map, but I'll agree with everyone else: The flags are weird. Yet this is the only thing that boders me, all the map looks fine to me.

Diamond
02-28-2013, 03:49 PM
I'd have to agree with you all about the abrupt contrast between the flags and the map itself. I'll work on it some more and see what I can do.

That tut looks EXTREMELY useful, Ravs, thanks for that. Just looking at it briefly though, it looks like it's B&W only?

Didn't noticed it at the first look:

Sounds like this one isn't recycled from your own map :D I like this ;)

:D :D

- Max -
02-28-2013, 04:27 PM
Right, I guess I owe you some kind of tribute on my next finished map ;)

Diamond
03-01-2013, 01:13 AM
Okay, try these two on for size:

kewlpack
03-01-2013, 01:24 AM
Looks pretty good. Can't decide which one I like better. The subdued version of the flags is nice, but they kinda disappear into the background. The slightly more vibrant colored flags add a nice contrast and pop a little better.

Both work for me.

Diamond
03-01-2013, 02:36 AM
Also the drawing above the scale bar is really impressive - I found it really, really cool :).

I can't take credit for that; it was public domain clipart taken from some late 19th century schoolbook.

vorropohaiah
03-01-2013, 05:45 AM
a cross between the two would be good. i like the first one - with the desaturated colours, but it's a shame to lose the individual banner colours as im sure those are important to people reading the map, thoug hthe one on the right still looks too crisp/clean for my liking.

- Max -
03-01-2013, 06:00 AM
My thoughts exactly. Flags need to keep their colours so the left one would work with just less desaturated colours. Maybe you can add some soft weathered touch on them too.

Mornagest
03-01-2013, 08:35 AM
Hi,

Maybe a bit darker for the coloured version of the flags ? For example, the pink side of the standard flag from the senate of Ordian is a bit light, in my opinion.

Labels are maybe a bit too stacked ? Githlia, the Wormlands, then labels for nations, then cities... a bit too dense, I would say ?

Nice map, however ! :)

Eilathen
03-02-2013, 09:54 AM
Hmm i don't know. The left one has no color left in the flags (maybe that's a screen problem on my side?) so if at all, i'd vote for the right one. But to be honest, i still prefer the version in the OP.

I don't want to be a pain in the ass (sorry, Diamond) but i have to ask: You all really "read" / "see" those "bumps" as mountains? For me they are too broad and round...more like waves, clouds or biiig hills, sand-dunes. They have not much mountain-y quality in my eyes. Especially if one zooms in on the map. If you view it in zoomed-out mode it's a tad better.

- Max -
03-02-2013, 10:11 AM
^ Some classical Blaue's mountains...

Eilathen
03-02-2013, 10:24 AM
I know that (Diamond mentioned it in the OP). And?
Maybe i don't get what you are saying but just in case: I wanted your opinion on it.
I don't really care for classics if all they have going for them is "hey, they are classics"...sacred cows are there to be slaughtered ;)
Don't get me wrong - you can't really argue about taste...so if you all like it, who am i to critizes that ;) (I'm not trying to come off as "you guys have bad taste")
I was just wondering and i wanted to hear some opinions.

- Max -
03-02-2013, 10:46 AM
What I meant is : Since you want to use Blaue's mountains, you mostly have those (Blaue's classical ;) ) kind of round wavy mountains. But although i like this kind of mountains and don't be bothered with them on this kind of map I agree with you Eilatheen that they look rather big hills than mountains. That was one of the hard part when I made Lorn's map : fortunately, the Blaue's mountains from the Scotland Atlas has some sharper and more "moutain-like" ones but I had to work on a lot of them to make them higher, bigger or more pointy

Diamond
03-02-2013, 05:43 PM
I, personally, am an equal-opportunity mountain-lover. :D I like my 'pyramid' mountains, I like these Blaue ones, sometimes I like the caterpillar ones, sometimes brushes made by you nice ladies and gentlemen. I don't feel like I'm locked into one particular style, so I'm sure you'll like the next mountains I do, Eilathen. Or maybe not... :D

- Max -
03-02-2013, 05:49 PM
You have your own touch on each of your maps, whatever the mountains you use, for me that's the important thing ;)

Eilathen
03-03-2013, 07:47 AM
I, personally, am an equal-opportunity mountain-lover. :D I like my 'pyramid' mountains, I like these Blaue ones, sometimes I like the caterpillar ones, sometimes brushes made by you nice ladies and gentlemen. I don't feel like I'm locked into one particular style, so I'm sure you'll like the next mountains I do, Eilathen. Or maybe not... :D

:D

Don't get me wrong, D, i like the map! As of now, you still have to produce a map that does not appeal to me on at least some level. It's just that i like mountains to be more mountain-y ^^ And you do have some very good mountains in your portfolio (for example i like the ones in your Altamira map a lot).
Looking forward to more mountain-styles from your side ;)

vorropohaiah
03-04-2013, 09:38 AM
you guys go on about Blaue mountains a lot, do you copy them from maps or is there a brush set with such mountains?

- Max -
03-04-2013, 11:57 AM
I catched mines from digital Blaue's atlas of scotland and after some cleaning/erasing and a few work on some of thrm in order to create bigger ones, turned them into a brushes set. I think Schwartzkreuz did some set aswell but rather with those kind of round wavy mountains.

Diamond
03-05-2013, 02:00 PM
I copied mine from a couple (or three?) Blaue maps. I drew them on paper, scanned them, and cleaned them up in photoshop. Same for the trees.

Aredhel
03-05-2013, 08:43 PM
This map is really pleasant to look at. Nice job!