PDA

View Full Version : Iryth : My second project, a world this time!

Brennall
03-06-2013, 10:45 AM
Previously I had tackled an island for an roleplaying game I was GM'ing. This time I was going to bite the bullet and try a whole world.

To start with I turned to Fractal Terrains 3 jumped into the World Settings and chose my fractal function of choice: -

RMF with Perlin's Improved Noise.

The settings of choice for me were ..

H (Roughness) : 0.865440011024475
Lacunarity : 2
Octaves : 30
Offset : 20
FGain : 2

Then I moved to the Primary Tab and chose ...

Highest Peak : 32000 ft.
Lowest Depth : -9842.52 ft.

Circumference 13258.6 Miles (about the size of mars)

I left the Secondary, Temperature, Rainfall and Editing as default.

Then using the next world button (f5) .. I started cranking out shapes. I was looking for something that appealed and was not too heavy in the tropical area. The world I was looking for had significant land mass in the temperate zones preferably.

After about 30-40 tries I found a world I liked the look of, you can see it below here, a larger version is attached at the bottom.

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/iryth/irythstart.jpg

It reminded me loosely of our own planet and had a pleasing shape, lots of potential landmass in the temperate zones. This would do nicely.

I then proceeded to add some land to the map and break some of those odd continental links and ended up with the following: -

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/iryth/irythaddland.jpg

This was much closer to what I wanted. To add the landmass I changed the editing resolution to Custom 8190 (maximum) with Prescale offset editing turned on.

I then selected the Paint Raise - Prescale Land Offset, set the width and height of the brush to 255 pixels and changed the value to 0.05. This would allow me to gently raise the land I wanted from the sea, I occasionally flipped the value to a negative when/if I went too far. When I got to a point I was happy with I saved my work and moved the resulting file over to a "Keep" folder in case I had to rewind at any point later.

More later ... as we move to WILBUR for the further editing process!

Any comments or critique welcome.

52658 52659

Brennall
03-06-2013, 12:29 PM
In the last post we ended up with some continents generated by Fractal Terrains 3, we had modified them to better fit with my aims. For example, I had not wanted continents with central mountain ranges, so adding land to one side of a continent created a more natural feel. Also the thin stranges running between continents did not fit with my ideas so I lowered them back into the seas! I actually found this part of the process quite enjoyable, teasing the final shape I wanted out of the initial rough outlines.

Next I wanted to use the forces of nature to create a more realistic worn away surface for my world. To do this I migrated the data out of FT3 and into Joe Slayton's (Waldronate on this board) other excellent tool Wilbur. I used the "Special MDR" choice and exported with a resolution of 8192 by 4096. I wanted the maximum size I could get to keep as much detail as I could which was another reason I had lowered the planet size down to Mars sized. I also downloaded the latest 64bit version of Wilbur to take advantage of my Windows 7 64bit PC with lots of memory. When I imported the MDR into wilbur it was the flipped vertically, but that was not a problem and with a couple of clicks we were the right way up again.

As a precursor to getting started I had read the excellent ISRAH tutorial many times, however I did not plan to do any of the erosion or incise flow work in FT3, I wanted the higher speed in 64bit Wilbur! The Israh article had some excellent colour templates for Wilbur and FT3 which I took advantage of at this point and applied the land and sea colours.

The ISRAH tutorial can be found online at ..

The Genesis of Israh; A Tutorial (http://www.worldofgotha.com/PF_TUTORIAL/israh_index.html)

I suggest reading it a few times to get the most out of it and be prepared to throw away a few mistakes when you first try it ;)

Anyway enough for now, some more details of what I did in Wilbur later.

Brennall
03-06-2013, 05:03 PM
Once in Wilbur I proceeded to do the following: -

Fill Basin (Ctrl + B) - Which created large stretches of flattened basin "plains" for want of a better description ... need to add some bumps and noise so when the erosion began the water would not flow in straight lines.

Select All (CTRL + A) - Grab the entire map to work with.

Filter-> Noise-> Percentage Noise -> Add 5% noise

Select-> From Terrain-> Flat Areas -> Default - Grab the "plains" and add some more noise

Select->Modify-> Expand -> 2 Pixels

Filter-> Noise-> Percentage Noise -> Add 5% noise

Fill Basin (Ctrl + B) - Fill Basins to catch any tiny dips you just made ..

The we make the first Incision. I did some testing on what Incision did on the map before commiting, CTRL-Z to Undo is a wonderful thing and Joe has added a great preview button so you can see the effects of changing the parameters before commiting.

There are the notes I made from Israh and my own experimentation

Incision Notes
Amount (depth of cut, higher = deeper)
Flow Exponent (Severity of the incise, lower is more severe) .. 0.1 does nothing .. greater than 0.2
Effect Blend(blend into terrain, higher is more blended)
Blur (width of incise, higher is wider)
Variabble blur dramatic widening
Post Blur widens the incise, Pre blur = 0 = thin rivers

Here are the parameters for the first cut.

Filter-> Erosion-> Incise Flow ... 1 / 0.2 / 0.2 / 0.1 / 0 / 0 - Which gives a very fine establishment of the potential water flow.

Fill Basin (Ctrl + B) - Fill Basins to catch any tiny dips you just made.

Filter-> Erosion-> Erosion x 0.25 - 2 pass... to wear down the edges of the incise and to smooth some of the random noise from earlier.

Filter-> Erosion-> Incise Flow ... 0.7 / 0.2 / 0.3 / 0.2 / 0 / 1 - Wider cut, establish the riverbeds somewhat.

Filter-> Erosion-> Erosion x 0.25 - 2 pass... same as before ...

Filter-> Erosion-> Incise ... 2 / 0.5 / 0.2 / 3 / 0 / 0 ... gently press in river valleys as though in fingertips running through clay... wide pre-blur helps create the effect we want on the plains.

Filter-> Erosion-> Incise ... 1 / 0.2 / 0.1 / 0.5 / 0 / 0 ... mountains get some river valleys etched in ... very lightly.

Filter-> Erosion-> Erosion x 0.25 - 2 pass... same as before ...

Filter-> Erosion-> Incise ... 1 / 0.1 / 0.2 / 0.6 / 0 / 0 ... bit more etching into the landscape.

Filter-> Noise-> Percentage Noise -> Add 2% noise - Preparing for River run.

Filter-> Erosion-> Erosion x 0.25 - 1 pass

From this point on you are at the end of the end (the river part and outputing the collection of images) of this page in the Israh Tutorial. The Genesis of Israh; Wilbur Part 1 (http://www.worldofgotha.com/PF_TUTORIAL/israh3.html)

You will have eroded some height from your mountains, etched gentle river valleys into your lands, created an interesting crinkly edge to your continents and hopefully be pleased with the result.

Here is how mine looked in Wilbur with the Israh Hypsomatic colour scheme. I was happy with this stage. But noticed a few holes around the edges of my continents, I zipped around quickly and filled them in with the painting tools. I left them in the following image as it was taken at the slightly earlier stage.

I flipped the map upside down again and saved as a new MDR file and squirreled away a copy of my work in my "keep" folder as a way of going back to my work incase something went wrong later.

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/iryth/irythafterwilbur.jpg

I had all the maps the Israh tutorial wanted from Wilbur, so I headed back to FT3 and got the remainder required by the tutorial. In addition I also got a copy of the Graticule against a black background.

I headed over to Photoshop and finished off the last page of the Tutorial.

Here are the results at the end of the tutorial ... higher quality images are attached below.

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/irythtutorialend.jpg

and a close up of the lovely wrinkly coast!

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/irythcloseup.jpg

Next comes topography ... an attempt to get an understanding of the heights of my world. In the grand scheme of things I would only need to classify flatlands, rolling hills, foothills, low mountains, medium mountains and high mountains in my game, however I wanted a little more detail than that!

Comments or Critiques welcome ...

Gold
03-06-2013, 09:50 PM
Yep. Awesome. Good information and re-route thru the Israh tutorial techniques for FT3 + Wilbur + FT3 + Photoshop. I am newly studying and applying these techniques as well, although so far I have stayed in FT3 and applied the Incise tool there. Wilbur sounds manageable though, based on what you wrote. Still haven't totally figured out why Wilbur's Incise would be better than FT3's. I have been told the latest update to FT3 takes advantage of 64bit Windows.

I especially appreciate where you translated some of the obscure settings terminology, into understandable words, under Incision Notes. For example you tell us that "Flow Exponent" (confusing term) means "Severity of the incise, lower is more severe, use greater than 0.2", this is very helpful. "Amount" means "depth of cut, higher is deeper". That's good. "Blur" becomes "width of incise".

Looking forward to your next write-up on topography, mountain heights, the 6 different regions of elevation that would be useful for game purposes. Maybe we can look at ocean depths as well, which could be demarcated into regions of continental shelves, abyssal plain, the depths, and any super deep trenches.

Terraformer is a free supplement for FT3 buyers (download it from ProFantasy in your registration area), that has a bunch of image climate colors, and lgt files, that can be used to color -- I mean colour -- the land & seas, if you want to see even more variations.

Thanks again, keep the write-ups and screenshots coming.

Brennall
03-07-2013, 07:02 AM
I am glad you liked the work so far Gold :)

I have used Terraformer before and like the results, definitely worth getting it. If you are referring to the /LARGEADDRESSAWARE command line switch for FT3 I am using it already and I think it helps :)

While looking around I can see traces of you following the same path as myself with regard to map generation, including raising the octaves for more detail in FT3. I had settled on 30 as the amount because it gave me that much more detail before the erosion process. One trick I had found was doubling the area in Wilbur using the Size option, however once it doubles to the 16k resolution, the fill basins no longer works properly. This was a shame for me as it would have got me roughly to 1.3 miles per pixel instead of 2.6 (approximate figures). There was the possibility of doing it after the erosion work, and the large address aware FT3 did import the bigger map, however I had wanted the extra detail for the erosion, incision work. Sadly doubling without detail just results in blockiness. If Waldronate ever reads this I wonder if there is an unreleased version of Wilbur that works with 16k wide heightfields and fills basins correctly?

Anyway, moving along, I wanted some form of contour lined map and spent some time considering how to do this. I could take the map from FT3 to CC3, save the contours as WMF (Windows Meta File), bring them into Adobe Illustrator and then across to photoshop. If someone knows a better way / easier way of doing that please post as I would love to do it!

In the end I settled on Wilbur and using the Save Selection feature to dump out selected height ranges to PNG files. First I had to decide on a useful scale, as I had mentioned before I only needed 6 or so classifications of height, but wanted the look that a decent relief shaded and contoured map can bring. My inspiration was Relief Shading - Colors - Hypsometric colors (http://www.reliefshading.com/colors/hypsometric.html), I loved the look of the french map shown and had noted that the Israh tutorial had used similar colours. However I also needed to meet the heights specified in the rulesbooks I planned to use, my aim was to create a map for the Adventurer Conqueror King system (ACKS) a D&D retro clone that I liked the look of. It used only three height categories, Flatlands (plains), Hills and Mountains and did not actually define any heights for them. So looking for inspiration I turned to my old Ad&D books and dug out copies of the Wilderness Survival Guide (WSG) and Worldbuilders guidebook (WBG). In the WSG I found they broke the heights down into the following: -

0ft - 2000ft = Flatlands

2000ft - 4000ft = Hills

4000ft + = Mountains

Helpful, however I like a lot of the systems in the WBG and they took a more detailed view: -

0ft - 2000ft = Flatlands

2000ft - 3000ft = Rolling Hills

3000ft - 4000ft = Foothills

4000ft - 7000ft = Low Mountains (roughly the Appalachians)

7000ft - 15000ft = Medium Mountains (roughly the Alps or the Rockies)

15000ft - 30000ft = High Mountains (roughly the Himalayas)

30000ft - 50000ft = Very High Mountains (For low gravity worlds)

50000ft - 100000ft = Extreme Mountains (for extremely low gravity worlds)

Now I knew the last two would not feature on my world, but were interesting none the less (I had hand waived the less gravity on my world by making the core denser [Pseudo Science BS]). however the extra detail appealed to me. so I went with it.

Here are my early attempts at the contour lines, I brought in the height selection png files, used them to generate a selection mask and used "Stroke" with a 1 pixel wide black to draw the contour line.

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/earlycontours.jpg

The attached version below is larger and clearer when clicked.

This all seemed to be going how I wanted it, I would now start generating contour lines every 500ft from sea level up to 30,000ft or so (less actually as max height shown in Wilbur (Surface-> Min/Max) showed a max height of 25633ft. However to get a rough feel for the areas involved I generated a Wilbur Land Colour file set it to cubic blending and tried it out. Here is the result (as usual the attachment has more detail.

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/irythhypso.jpg

I have put the Wilbur land colour file on my webserver if anyone wants it ... right click and save this link: - Wilbur Land Colour File (http://www.spellbound.co.uk/iryth/iryth_land)

It gave me the rough feeling I was looking for so I progressed to working on the contour lines. More of which next time!

Brennall
03-07-2013, 10:49 AM
Well after a boring few hours I generated all the 500ft spaced contour lines. Tedious, but completed now!

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/500fttopo.jpg

You can see more detail in the attached file below.

I used some simple relief shading to emphasise the terrain and was encouraged enough to continue onto hypsometric shading alongside the contour lines.

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/contourhypso.jpg

Next no contour lines .. just hypsometric relief shading ...

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/hypsonocont.jpg

Everything seems to be coming together nicely, however climate definition is next on the agenda and that gets quite complex. I know that FT3 has a very rough guess at climate based upon rainfall and temperature. Sadly it doesn't take into account seasons, wind or currents which means I would need to work those out and use them to affect changes to the temperature and rainfall in FT3.

I think currents appeal to me next ... more later.

Quick Addendum ... After noticing how close I came with the nice blended shading from Wilburs hypso colour map file I did, I might switch to that! Until I had posted both I could not see them next to each other.

arsheesh
03-07-2013, 01:35 PM
Looking really good so far Brennall. I'm glad to see someone working with this tutorial, I've always thought it was fantastic.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Brennall
03-07-2013, 05:00 PM
Thanks Arsheesh :)

I am about to leave the Tutorial however and head off into the world of climates ... The first area I chose to work on was Ocean Currents. I spent quite a while reading about them and how they work and the information makes a good foundation for later work with Winds from what I can see. I started by placing the obvious Gyre in the northen and southern hemispheres, it is always important to remember they spin in opposite directions, northern gyre spin clockwise and southern spin anti-clockwise.

I used White arrows for currents that did not change the temperature of surrounding land, blue for currents that lowered the temperature and red for those that raised it. On an aside the Gulf Stream current is one of the reasons western europe and England are warmer than normal for their latitude. It took me a while to work out all the possible current flows, the smaller ones were harder and you have to take into account the equatorial counter current as well as the circumpolar current. Interestingly Iryth has circumpolar currents at the north unlike Earth. I am not sure it is all correct and could do with some assistance from anyone who spots any mistakes!

Anyway here is a small version .. click the attachment for a much larger one!!

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/currents.jpg

As you can see I added Polar Ice caps!

Once I had and idea where the temperature changes on-shore would take place I spent some time creating an overlay map to show me where to increase or decrease the temperatures given in FT3.

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/tempchanges.jpg

Using the black and white areas as a guide, I went back into FT3 and altered the temperature layer, using a very large scale brush with minor value alteration (+1 / -1) I raised the temperature in the white areas a little and lowered it in the black areas also. This correspondingly altered the climate map which I brought back into photoshop and replaced the original. The weather (ocean currents in this case) made its first mark upon my world and moved me one step closer to a slightly more realistic climate. You can see it below, note how it is different in the areas marked above.

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/newclimate.jpg

The growth of brownish and light green areas is quite noticable in the easternmost island in the southern hemisphere .. bathed in an almost permanent stream of warm tropical waters.

I suspect it will revert to green when the winds bring humidity to it later however! ... I am really happy with the way things are going at the moment, it was good to see the climate change dynamically when adding the currents and it gave me hope for the far more complex task of Winds and humidity later!

Next up will be climate zones ... and how AD&D disagrees with the real world .. and what to do about it?

Oooh just noticed I got all the currents lined up correctly when I look at the attachments all in a row.

Realmwright
03-07-2013, 10:53 PM
Wowzers! You've really put a like of time into this and it has clearly paid off. Incredibly well done. Rep-a-licious.

Realmwright
03-07-2013, 10:54 PM
*a LOT of time. I don't know what a like of time is

BookOwl
03-08-2013, 02:05 AM
Wow this is like way cool so far! Love all the technicalities you figuring :)

Brennall
03-08-2013, 06:57 AM
Thanks for the kind comments guys :)

In a little side note before the climate zone work, I had to work out the physical properties of my world today. Specifically looking at gravity and density, there is a wonderful resource here Planet Designer (http://www.transhuman.talktalk.net/iw/Geosync.htm) which can help you find Gravity, geosynch orbit and Roche limit. I was aware I had done some guesswork regarding planetary density to fake the reduced gravity of my world, but I got the urge to understand more last night and see whether it was possible!

Here is a readout for Mars (the nearest in terms of size to my planet)

Day Length: 24.6 hours (2.5 seems to be the lower limit for asteroids, 10 to 24 is typical, more for tidally locked bodies)
Mass: 0.107 relative to Earths
Density: 3.93 g/cm3

Minimum Density for terrestrial planet of this mass (Pure Water) = 1.8 g/cm3
Typical Density for terrestrial planet of this mass (Earth like) = 4.9 g/cm3
Maximum Density for terrestrial planet of this mass (Pure Iron) = 10.3 g/cm3
Diameter = 6780 km
Surface Area = 144.3 million square km
Roche Limit = 900 km (nearest possible natural satelite)
Surface Gravity = 0.38 Gs
To Orbit Velocity = 3.55 km per second
Thrust to orbit time at 3G = 2.3 minutes
Escape Velocity = 5 km per second

Geosynchronous orbital distance = 17020 km, or 10630 miles (from surface of planet)
Geosynchronous orbital velocity = 1.45 km/s , or 0.9 miles per second

As I could not increase the diameter without affecting my mapping, I was left with changing the mass and density (as I had suspected during the guessing done earlier). I noted the Max Density was 10.3 g/cm3 so had some limits to play with.

After some fiddling around with Mass and density I settled for a lower surface gravity (0.83 Gs) than Earth with a 24hr Day length.

Here is the final result in the same format.

Day Length: 24 hours (2.5 seems to be the lower limit for asteroids, 10 to 24 is typical, more for tidally locked bodies)
Mass: 0.2448 relative to Earths
Density: 9 g/cm3

Minimum Density for terrestrial planet of this mass (Pure Water) = 1.8 g/cm3
Typical Density for terrestrial planet of this mass (Earth like) = 4.9 g/cm3
Maximum Density for terrestrial planet of this mass (Pure Iron) = 10.3 g/cm3
Diameter = 6780 km
Surface Area = 144.3 million square km
Roche Limit = 900 km (nearest possible natural satelite)
Surface Gravity = 0.87 Gs
To Orbit Velocity = 5.38 km per second
Thrust to orbit time at 3G = 4.2 minutes
Escape Velocity = 7.6 km per second

Geosynchronous orbital distance = 23060 km, or 14410 miles (from surface of planet)
Geosynchronous orbital velocity = 1.92 km/s , or 1.2 miles per second

As you can see, a denser planet, but with a believable (kind of) gravity and planetary characteristics. Now I can put that to rest and return to my mapping :)

Comments and Critique welcome ...

s0meguy
03-08-2013, 11:52 AM
My big beef with Fractal Terrains is that it almost always generates the mountauin ranges in the middle of continents, and the continent shapes usually don't look very natural, ie as a result of tectonic plate movements. If not for that, i think this style can produce good quality "maps", quotation marks because they look more like satellite pictures.

Brennall
03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
That is why I spent some considerable time at the beginning adding land mass around the "mountain ranges" to make sure they were not "Equal" or in the middle.

Quick camera shot of my WIP on the desk ..

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/wip.jpg

As you can it is getting windy in my office ;)

Brennall
03-08-2013, 05:04 PM
The two AD&D books dealing specifically with "The wilderness" were mentioned a few posts above. The World Builders Guidebook (WBG) and the Wilderness Survival Guide (WSG), both of then categorise terrain with similar but different systems. However they both use climate "banding" to break up the globe, specifically Arctic, Sub-Arctic, Temperate, Sub-Tropical and Tropical. The problem is they disagree about the size of these areas. The WBG uses an Icosahedron to represent spherical worlds with a hexagonal grid, each zone getting a certain number of hexes: -

Arctic - 2.5hexes
Sub-Arctic - 3 Hexes
Temperate - 2.5 Hexes
Sub-Tropical - 2.5 Hexes
Tropical - 3 hexes (To the equator about 1.5hexes)

A Grand total of 12 Hexes from pole to Equator. Each hex being 7.5 degrees latitude

So that means: -

Arctic 18.75 Degrees = 71.25 degrees - 90 degrees
Sub-Arctic - 22.5 Degrees = 48.75 - 71.25 degrees
Temperate - 18.75 Degrees = 30 - 48.75 degrees
Sub-Tropical - 18.75 Degrees = 11.25 - 30 degrees
Tropical - 22.5 Degrees (11.25 Degrees to the Equator) = 0 - 11.25 degrees

The WSG gives us real degrees to work with starting on Pg. 107

Arctic 24 Degrees = 66 degrees - 90 degrees
Sub-Arctic - 16 Degrees = 50 - 66 degrees
Temperate - 20 Degrees = 30 - 50 degrees
Sub-Tropical - 15 Degrees = 15 - 30 degrees
Tropical - 30 Degrees (15 Degrees to the Equator) = 0 - 15 degrees

As you can see the numbers disagree, but are broadly similar (as one would hope). Obviously real numbers are much nicer to play with than portions of hex and inherently more trustworthy because of that alone.

Now Wikipedia suggest the following: -

Arctic 20 Degrees = 70 degrees - 90 degrees
Sub-Arctic - 20 Degrees = 50 - 70 degrees
Temperate - 43 Degrees = 23.5 - 66.5 degrees
Sub-Tropical - 16.5 Degrees = 23.5 - 40 degrees
Tropical - 47 Degrees (23.5 Degrees to the Equator) = 0 - 23.5 degrees

As you can see, Wikipedia overlaps the Temperate zones to cover both Sub-Tropical and Sub-Arctic zones. I belive this is current thinking on the subject (sub-arctic and sub-tropic are in decline). Given all the obvious overlaps between zones (which I believe is quite accurate as climate conditions don't just stop on a latitude) and the fact that the WSG zones fit within the scope of the wikipedia ones, I will got with the WSG climate zones.

Here is how it looks ...

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/climatezones.jpg

As you can see from the WIP above, I am working on Winds for next time!

Comments and Critique welcome ..

BookOwl
03-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Ooh, where are you getting the info about winds and currents stuff? I'd love to look at it.

This is looking really awesome so far!!

Lyandra
03-10-2013, 06:22 AM
It's great to see this project develop. Very ambitious. :)

Brennall
03-10-2013, 12:09 PM
I am still experimenting with the Winds or Iryth. I firstly produced a Non-season specific wind map which laid out most of the directions and areas on the map such as the equatorial doldrums etc.

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/irythbasicwindmap.jpg

Once I had got the basic wind direction and normal patterns, I adjusted for Seasonal variation (the movement of the solar equator due to axial tilt).

Here is the "Northern Hemisphere Winter / Southern Hemisphere Summer" ...

http://spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/irythnorthernwinter.jpg

I think I have followed all the basic guidelines about the locations of the High and low pressure systems. If anyone can see anything wrong please don't hesitate to comment as I want to get this right before proceeding.

In addition here is the "Southern Hemisphere Winter / Northern Hemisphere Summer" ...

http://spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/irythnorthernsummer.jpg

So if anyone has anything to add before I generate the wind flows between high and low pressure please comment!

Thanks!

@ Bookowl : The climate cookbook was a great help .. The Climate Cookbook (http://jc.tech-galaxy.com/bricka/climate_cookbook.html)

@ Lyandra : I hope it is interesting .. it is consuming massive amounts of time ;)

Diamond
03-10-2013, 08:58 PM
A lot of thought and work put into this. I like what I'm seeing.

Sathurn
03-10-2013, 10:12 PM
I like it.

vorropohaiah
03-11-2013, 03:04 AM
great progress and dedication on this. looking forward to seeing this evolve

Brennall
03-21-2013, 01:11 PM
Sorry for the absence ... some time spent in hospital I am afraid. However I am back and continuing with Iryth :)

Using the Air Pressure maps for summer/winter and the guidance from the climate cookbook online, I adjusted the precipitation and temperature in FT3 to match what the cookbook said was the likely climate. This took a while, and I still can think of some more tweaks to do (increased precipitation[water] following down the major rivers etc) but overall things are coming together.

http://www.spellbound.co.uk/img-600/iryth/finalclimate.jpg

As you can see few deserts, the topology and climate only suggested them on the west coast of the western continent. Some dry areas in the middle of continents and behind mountain ranges and a monsoon area on the easternmost continent South Eastern corner. Given the changes I was pleased to see Savannah and Chaparral appearing in logical places as the adjustments were made.

In addition I used the new sea climate image feature to add icecaps based upon temperature. These are much better than the randomised ones added in the Gaia view and with some adjustment to the image I used I could alter the position of the ice shelf easily.

So with Biomes generated, Temperature, precipitation and wind done I am at the stage where I can start to think about zooming in on the first region for development. I suspect I will focus around the inland sea on the easternmost continent. Hmm naming things also raises its ugly head!

mbartelsm
03-23-2013, 01:30 PM
Thanks for all your posts, this thread has been incredibly helpful :D
However, I've taken a different approach myself for climates, after a lot of investigation and studying climate and vegetation zones here on earth, and after some help from the climate cookbook, I thought It would be best for me to personally place each zone on my world, It has given much better results than FT3 too which's climates are way too ambiguous for my taste, I investigated and studied specifically the Holdridge Life Zones (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holdridge_life_zones), the Köppen Climate Clasification (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/K%C3%B6ppen_climate_classification) and the FRA2000 (http://www.fao.org/docrep/004/Y1997E/y1997e00.htm#Contents). Since each of them only covers a certain topic (which places have which climates, which places have which vegetation and which climates have which vegetation) it was necessary to collate all the information together before attempting to actually place each climate and vegetation in the map, however I must say that the results are much more satisfactory than those of FT3 with the disadvantage of having no concrete temperature and rainfall information.

Brennall
03-23-2013, 02:05 PM
Interesting approach, I had considered going that route myself, however the game manuals I am using sadly do not need that level of detail. The good news generally is that having all the precipitation, temperature and geo location information I can reference the various climate/biome classifications and get that detail on the zoomed in maps. However you are now tempting me to delve into doing it, even though I should start o focus on the initial racial distribution! ... Arghhh the temptation!

So far the other advantage so far is using the hires climate map as an overlay in google earth ... Actually the google mars map as it is the same size as my world (there was method in my madness).

mbartelsm
03-23-2013, 03:10 PM
Hires map? any links? I don't really know what I'm looking for

Brennall
03-23-2013, 03:33 PM
The map size I am using is 8192 x 4096 pixels. Due to the size I have not put it online and had not planned too till it was finished. Given the planetary size it scales to approximately 1.3miles per pixel, not quite the level I wanted but near the limit of what ft3 can handle. Luckily the size is also the limit that kmz files for google earth can handle before needing to use overlays.

The next level of zoom will take me down to a 10 degree lat lon box ... I am hoping to do that using vectors and contour lines with some subtle relief shading taken from ft3. After that a conversion to a "drawn" style if all goes according to plan. Then finally some old fashioned hex style maps for the wilderness encounters.

mbartelsm
03-23-2013, 04:22 PM
ahhhh, HiRes map, dumb me :!:

Brennall
05-09-2013, 11:55 AM
As the creation of Iryth continues, I have descended from Satellite height mapping to something with a higher level of detail. This is an early draft of the map I am working on for the southern coast of the Darkstar sea. It needs lots of love from my roleplaying system Adventurer, Conqueror, King ( Adventurer Conqueror King | Autarch (http://www.autarch.co) ) to get to the point it has domains and population centres. The map so far lacks the effects of humanity such as deforestation, it is very much how it would have looked during the last age under the rule of the Elves.

Next on the list of things to do will be overlaying with a hex grid at 24 mile scale and getting a grasp on how the migration of the Närdik peoples would have moved from the east into the area. Once I have determined the influx of humanity and generated the locations of cities and towns, I will start to deforest the local area. Then will come the Hel-plague and the loss of half the population, which should have some interesting results at a population level.

Once I have completed the above tasks, I get down to naming the various communities and high level characters of the area.

Interesting times!

p.s. for those interested, this map is the southern coast of the inland sea on the eastern continent (I really must start naming things).

p.p.s I used the relief map and climate maps I prepared at the world level to generate this. In addition I used RPGMapMakers brush packs from here ( http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/2078-rpgmapmakers-free-brush-packs-ps7-6.html ) as I liked the hand drawn style. Lastly I used the image climate map from Fractal Terrains 3 with significant blur as the washed out pastels gave me a nice look for ground cover.

Brennall
05-14-2013, 05:54 AM
The last few days I have been busy with the game aspects of my campaign, but managed to squeeze in time to add my first country based around the City-State of Keflavik ruled by the Jarl . Using the "hand drawn" version of my map with no colouring and a parchment background I defined the area of the country using an overlay hex grid of 6 miles diameter. I then used Adventurer Conqueror King to create baronies, counties etc. This gave me the locations of major settlements, using a viking town name generator at Viking town name generator (http://fantasynamegenerators.com/viking_town_names.php) I named and then labelled the settlements and added some local terrain names.

The above shows the initial area of the Keflavik City state with relation to the Darkstar Sea southern coastal area.

Below is a more detailed map showing the local settlements.

I haven't done much in the way of Labelling before, so any advice would be most welcome.

If you have any interest in the other aspects of Iryth please visit Iryth - The Chronicles of Iryth (http://www.iryth.com)

Next will be removing forest in the area around Keflavik based around settlement ages.

As usual comments and critique welcome :)

vorropohaiah
05-14-2013, 06:08 AM
only thing i can think of is the labels outside the coast should be oriented in the same direction. some of them - dritsker and kirkjufell - would look better if they were along a similar path to the others

- Max -
05-14-2013, 06:20 AM
The difference of opacity between the mountains and hills don't make it for me. Also I'm not sur ethat this style of heavy computer generated forests will match the style of the map you're going for.

Brennall
05-14-2013, 07:05 AM
@ vorropohaiah : Yes your right .. it does cause an inconsistency. I will get them all to match. Thank you :)

@ -Max- : Having seen your Kingdoms of Kesh work, I am not even in the same league of work. However, the reason for the heavy forests was to simulate the end of the last age, where elves ruled this land and it was completely forested. The current age has significant deforestation. I will look at the opacity of the mountains and hills and have a think about it!

- Max -
05-14-2013, 07:17 AM
Not a question of same league or not, we all have things to work on and improve, that's why we post in WIP section ;) I don't mind the heavy forests, just the style of trees that looks maybe too computer generated if you go with a more natural old look map.

Brennall
05-14-2013, 08:35 AM
Some changes made ... Text realigned, hills and mountains are now the same opacity. Some of the deforestation has also been done in this version, showing the advancing human age.

First the same version as before.

and for comparison the coloured version.

More deforestation will occur as more nations are added to the map.

Any further suggestions for improvement?

- Max -
05-14-2013, 09:14 AM
Looking better :) Though I think labels could be improved more. I'd try to align the outside land ones more together and maybe curve them a bit less. Also is there's a particular reason that the ones inside the lands (cities/towns) aren't straigh? Looks a bit odd to me.

Brennall
05-14-2013, 09:46 AM
Thanks for the advice on Labelling. I have straightened the labels generally and aligned them more.

and now colour

I must admit it feels nicer :)

Any other advice or opinions?

arois
05-14-2013, 10:25 AM
I must really compliment you on your work here. Detailed and thought through, I'm impressed by the amount of work you put into climates, winds, etc. :)

Map is really cool and well made, but as I speak Icelandic (and it's not that different from the Old Norse that Vikings spoke), some of the names don't really fit. Almannafljot and Hnjoska should be located on rivers or in their close vicinity; both fljót and á mean river. Eiriksfjoror doesn't fit as well, unless it's located on a fjord. ;)

I'm not really sure if my post was constructive, but I just thought I'd share my opinion.

Once again, great work. :)

Brennall
05-14-2013, 06:50 PM
@ arois : I think your post was very constructive! ... Now that I have some clue as to how the names are constructed I can change the names I have and make sure I don't fall for that again :)

Thanks!