PDA

View Full Version : Bryce and a map

Obbehobbe
03-06-2013, 01:54 PM
Hey!

I'm messing around a bit with bryce and I think this looks quite alright. I've used some lens-blur-thingie (and the boat/table is photoshop). I'm currently working on adding snow on the heights. And there is still some fine tuning on the heightmap in some places! :)

What do you think?

ravells
03-06-2013, 02:33 PM
That's very beautiful! Did you draw the mountain range using the Bryce tools or did you build it in another modeller and import it? I really like them.

- Max -
03-06-2013, 02:49 PM
Looks very good so far! Not a great fan of the lens effect though.

Obbehobbe
03-06-2013, 02:58 PM
That's very beautiful! Did you draw the mountain range using the Bryce tools or did you build it in another modeller and import it? I really like them.

Thanks! The mountains are made entirely in photoshop. Actually I have used those mountains for ages on the map, painting them with a soft brush then adding bewel and some inner glow effect to simulate landscape --> mountain --> snow transition. But this time I converted them to 16-bit, did some minor adjustment then imported it to Bryce as a heightmap.

Larb
03-06-2013, 06:46 PM
I've no idea how to use Bryce but the results are very pretty. I imagine you could make a wonderful interactive map from something like this.

Obbehobbe
03-07-2013, 06:49 PM
Here is another render. This is a clean render. No photoshop at all! :)

maquesh
03-08-2013, 05:30 AM
I think you have a lake in the mountains to the right (east?) that climbs up the mountain sides. Is that fixable?

Obbehobbe
03-08-2013, 05:39 AM
I think you have a lake in the mountains to the right (east?) that climbs up the mountain sides. Is that fixable?

Hey. Yes it's just some heightmap thingie.

Sapiento
03-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Looks great. Are there tutorials for this?

Obbehobbe
03-09-2013, 03:47 AM
Here I am again - this time with a tweaked version. :)

David3
03-09-2013, 04:00 AM
wow! great work
i've worked with bryce before for architectures and found it to be excellent but have trouble controlling landscape morphologies.
are there any tutorials or tips here on this?

Gold
03-09-2013, 04:11 AM
I really like the realistic-terrain-model-surface look of this. If you could please make your place-names sound more American instead of whatever Swedish Dwarves labeled this map. (Kidding). I like your red city dots. Now to a serious question, can you just continue the terrain in all directions to extent of page, rather than looking as a floating table? Next a river inquiry: Why has the Stromstrida river turned towards the lake, instead of breaking a channel to merge directly with the nearby Maure river on its march to the sea? A wall of elevation to prevent such a confluence and turn the Stromstrida sharply towards the lake there is not evident to me. The foot of the nearby mountain makes a visual cue that the downhill direction is towards the Maure just as much (or more-so) as downhill is towards the lake.

Thank you for sharing, and good luck with your map progress.

Obbehobbe
03-09-2013, 05:03 AM
I really like the realistic-terrain-model-surface look of this. If you could please make your place-names sound more American instead of whatever Swedish Dwarves labeled this map. (Kidding). I like your red city dots. Now to a serious question, can you just continue the terrain in all directions to extent of page, rather than looking as a floating table? Next a river inquiry: Why has the Stromstrida river turned towards the lake, instead of breaking a channel to merge directly with the nearby Maure river on its march to the sea? A wall of elevation to prevent such a confluence and turn the Stromstrida sharply towards the lake there is not evident to me. The foot of the nearby mountain makes a visual cue that the downhill direction is towards the Maure just as much (or more-so) as downhill is towards the lake.

Thank you for sharing, and good luck with your map progress.

Thank you all for the feedback. I'll see if I can turn this into a tutorial.

Gold: The heightmap has some issues. Stromstrida is supposed to start in the mountain. But the heightmap is wrong, dividing the river to what appears to be two flows. I suppose I could make a small hill between the Maure river and Stromstrida to make it even more clear that they shouldn't connect. Have in mind that the heightmap is not generated. it's totally manually which gives me more control - and more errors! ;)

maquesh
03-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Very nice! The mountain lake is pretty now :)

I'm impressed.

BookOwl
03-09-2013, 03:03 PM
Wow this is really cool! I've known about bryce for awhile but haven't tried anything with it. This is making me want to try stuff :D

lostatsea
03-09-2013, 09:59 PM
Very nicely done! Will be watching this thread for tips as I really like the 3d styling > Have some REP to encourage further development .:D

Lyandra
03-10-2013, 07:21 AM
I would welcome a tutorial on this technique as well. :) You've achieved a great result here. Have some rep!

bartmoss
03-19-2013, 06:24 PM
Looks nice - and I second the call for a tutorial ;)

kestrelgrey
03-20-2013, 06:59 AM
I guess that means I ... triple? triplicate? second the seconding? XP for a tutorial ^w^ Lovely map; looks like the 2D version is just as good looking as the 3D version.

- kes