PDA

View Full Version : Feb/March Lite Challenge: Oh Tarn!

veracusse
03-06-2013, 03:27 PM
Sorry I couldn't think of a snappier title for this thread/submission for this month's lite challenge. Normally with my time constraints I wouldn't be participating, but rivers and a River Police Badge I just couldn't resist.

Here is my submission, in progress:

The concept sketch,

the line drawing, done in AI,

and the current, wip,

### Latest WIP ###

I really like rivers.

veracusse
03-06-2013, 03:31 PM
I am not sure if the thumbnail tracker is working properly, since it only scanned my first image in my original post. So I will re-post my latest wip here.

### Latest WIP ###

Hope this works.

torstan
03-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Looking good! The thumbnail picker just takes the first image from a tagged post, not the one after the tag.

Zarylin
03-06-2013, 05:23 PM
Wow, I've gotta say that this is pretty fantastic. Elegant in it's simplicity. I really love how you can see the elevation, getting that third dimension in there is really hard!

Can't wait to see more. =)

veracusse
03-07-2013, 04:38 PM
Here is another update for the river challenge.

@torstan: I have to say that I find your tutorials a very good resource of knowledge and techniques. Thanks for posting them in the tutorial section. A lot of the ideas and inspiration used for this lite challenge come from your website.

@Zarylin: Thanks for the comment. I am trying to show perspective and dimension with this map, so I am glad it is working. I also like to keep things simple with my maps too! ;)

Here is the latest wip

### Latest WIP ###

I like the forests and trees, although I want to touch them up a bit more. All I need to do next is water/coast, the atmosphere and put some labels on this map.

- Max -
03-07-2013, 05:44 PM
Nice. Though in my opinion, mountains need more work on shading/lightning.

dasneviano
03-08-2013, 11:55 AM
Looking great. I agree it needs more shading though, not only in the mountains, but also the sky and the sea!
Good job though!

veracusse
03-08-2013, 02:48 PM
Thanks for the comments so far. I agree with -Max- and dasneviano that the mountains needed more shading. I shaded them more to bring out the contour and texture of the mountains.

Here is the

### Latest WIP ###

I'll finish this over the weekend and then post my final product beginning of next week.

anomiecoalition
03-08-2013, 04:29 PM
This one will be tough to beat...but there's a small stream between the little island and the lake (only noticeable when you zoom in) that looks a little weird.

veracusse
03-08-2013, 05:34 PM
@anomiecoalition: Yes! You noticed that too, eh? I guess I will have to fix that. I just noticed that stream moving in the wrong direction after I posted this one. I think that after I added the forest layer the contour of the land changed a bit, or at least the impression that it has changed occurred. I need to fix it.

Sathurn
03-10-2013, 11:46 PM
It is a very nice drawing. I would like to see a small river feeding the lake from the valley between the left peak and the center peak. I believe the scale of the map is just large enough to show the stream/river that would be about there. A waterfall coming of the center peak an feeding the lake would also be appropriate and beautiful, but that would be quite hard.

jtougas
03-11-2013, 01:08 PM
Looks great !! :)

veracusse
03-12-2013, 04:22 PM
I think this is pretty much done now. Although I might make some minor adjustments tonight, if I have the time.

Here it is. Thanks for all the helpful comments.

### Latest WIP ###

Bogie
03-12-2013, 06:39 PM
Great challenge entry! Good Luck!

veracusse
03-13-2013, 02:28 PM
Again, thanks to all for the encouragement and comments on this map. Here is the final-final version. I didn't like the title on the last version and I moved around a few things. I also added a little lake cabin and a fishing rowboat.

### Latest WIP ###

Now to let others vote.

arsheesh
03-14-2013, 03:58 PM
This is a lovely piece, but something about the water doesn't sit right with me. I think it's the color; it just seems out of place to me, it's too bold and distracts from the rest of the piece. Other than that, I like what you've done here.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

lostatsea
03-15-2013, 11:24 AM
The little river/stream behind the island seems to "Continue" into the larger river instead of ending at the bank/edge . Hmmm looks like it overlaps may be a better way to put it. Any ways very nice looking entry . Have some REP.