PDA

View Full Version : Lines Off set - Parallel in Photoshop

aquarits
03-17-2013, 04:16 PM
I tried to find here something about it. Sorry if have other post with same ask.

This is a way that i found to do parallel lines in Photoshop. i want to know if it is right of have a simple way to do it. Thanks.

I tried to find in the forum a way to make a off set of the lines. Getting parallel lines of my borders and maybe coz is a lots of topics someone can help me finding other wai to do.

This is the way that i found to do it, i will post in "How do i" to look for more opinions. It took a lots of time to know how to do and made it so simple :((:roll:

Hai-Etlik
03-17-2013, 06:59 PM
A problem with this approach is that it magnifies aliasing from the pixels, so your outset lines are all lined up with the raster grid or running along diagonals like on a subway map. That said, I don't know much about Photoshop so I don't know how you would do it properly there. Inkscape's "Outset" tool works reasonably well.

aquarits
03-17-2013, 07:15 PM
Got it better adding feather before make the work path.

"Select> Modify> Feather"

ravells
03-18-2013, 06:42 AM
You can also use the 'outer glow' layer style - it's not as precise but very fast to do.

aquarits
03-18-2013, 02:47 PM
Yes i tried it too :D But the problem with this way is that u cant edit the bush form ( or i dont know how to do it)

I forgot to say the reasons that i tried it =/
Contract/ Expanding way I generated a work path, able to stroke any form of brush, like i did in my picture. That is why i want a parallel and editable line

ravells
03-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Hi aqartis, I guess you could merge down to an empty layer to rasterise the layer style to make the lines editable...I think your way is more flexible :)

aquarits
03-18-2013, 09:52 PM
Cool! I not found anything like this in the forum. Guess it is the way :D

artearth
03-24-2013, 01:52 PM
Ravells, do you mean "create layer" with the effect? That's one of my favorite tricks—right (mac: control) click on the effect in Photoshop and select "Create Layer" which moves each of the effects to their own layer. It allows you to apply multiple instances of an effect. For example, you could add thin strokes to fat strokes, or multiple strokes, or you could choose to apply your gradient overlay to your original layer (by merging the two) while leaving other effects still editable.

ravells
04-02-2013, 12:35 PM
Sorry artearth, just seen this...not sure what you mean! Can you give me an example file to look at? I think I might learn something new here!

artearth
04-03-2013, 01:07 AM
Sorry artearth, just seen this...not sure what you mean! Can you give me an example file to look at? I think I might learn something new here!

Here's a quick and dirty tutorial on it. I'm using Photoshop CS5.

1.) basic photoshop image - background has the blue water, with the land mass on it's own layer
2.) apply a bunch of layer effects. In this case, a drop shadow, outer stroke, bevel/emboss and gradient overlay
3.) In the layer menu, right/control click on the list of effects (not the name of the layer, which brings up a different menu) and select "Create Layers."
4.) Woah! Any layer effect which affects the interior of the layer (so an inner shadow, inner glow, bevel, overlay, inner stroke) will appear above the original layer using the layer as a clipping mask. Any layer effect which is external (outer shadow/glow, outer stroke) will appear as it's own layer below the original layer.
5.) Keep playing - here I added an inside stroke to the original layer (thin black line to the inside) and a new outside stroke to the layer "Layer 1's Outer Stroke" which gives me three strokes in a row, any one or more or which I can disable. The original stroke has been rasterized and is no longer editable. I also created a very subtle effect where I used the new drop shadow layer as a mask revealing a cloud render, which would create a slightly less uniform drop shadow.

Hope that makes sense, and is useful. Here's also a use on a retro t-shirt design for our local brew pub (called Short's Brewing), where multiple strokes came in handy, and gave me a chance to play around with the balance and color before committing too deeply.

artearth
04-03-2013, 01:37 AM
A technique for parallel lines that I've been playing with involves using Illustrator, and works really well if you want to put in the time. This is a quick version, I can do a longer one with images if folks think it would be useful.

1) cmd-click the layer with your land masses, bringing up a selection. Create a new layer and fill the selection with black. You should now have a silhouette of your land. Fill the remainder with white, then select all and copy.
2) paste into Illustrator and trace image. Your aim is to get as accurate a reproduction as possible. Expand and delete the white bits so you have just the black left. Select all and mark the fill and stroke to none. If you have multiple land masses, you need to create a compound path: while everything is selected, click through to Object/Compound Path/Make (or Cmd+8). (which for some reason keeps showing up as the "cool" emoticon. ???)
3) while still selected, open the appearance panel and click "add new stroke." I made a 1pt in dark blue, which just outlines the edge of the land.
4) keep going: select "add new stroke" and this time make it white, which will give you the space between strokes to create the effect. In this case I made it 2 strokes. This layer should go UNDER the previous layer or else it will cover it.
5) black stroke, 2.5 pt; white, 3.5 pt; black, 4 pt; white; 5 pt. and on and on until you give up or are happy. When you're done and you love it, open the "Graphic Styles" window and create new graphic style. This will keep it forever so you don't have to rebuild it all the time.
6) keep the land mass as no fill. Select all and copy. Paste into PS as pixels, make sure it's aligned with your original land mass, and then you can control the opacity and blending options to make it awesome. Multiply will work well. (There are likely other good ways to transfer the image, this may not be the best. I'd like to hear other ideas).

Here is an image of a huge coastline effect and the stroke values that made it. I'd be happy to post the graphic style so others can use it, but I don't know how to attach non-image files.

This is probably confusing. It's late and I'm done for the day. I'll check back and if y'all want more on this tutorial I'll spend some time on it.

ravells
04-03-2013, 08:23 AM
The 'create layers' command looks really cool, but it's a CS5 and above only. I've got CS4 and it's not there (boo hoo). I did find the 'scale effects' command though, which. I never knew existed. I don't use illustrator (although I might get it as the later versions of Drawplus are getting quite buggy) but the method I use in Drawplus to get multiple outlines is to make a black landmass, use the stroke command to make it bigger by say, 1 point, convert it into a raster and trace it, give the new shape a transparent fill and a thin stroke 0.5 point away from the landmass. (More complicated to explain then to do!)

vorropohaiah
04-03-2013, 09:35 AM
an action for this would be nice... i'll try experiment with it later on, looks interesting

aquarits
04-03-2013, 01:46 PM
it is nice, but guess cant edit the style of the line, right?

Chashio
04-03-2013, 08:41 PM
an action for this would be nice... i'll try experiment with it later on, looks interesting

I'll upload a bunch of photoshop actions for this later tonight.
No offense to your great tutorial, artearth, I just don't use Illustrator. ;)

aquarits
04-03-2013, 09:00 PM
Yeah artearth, i am just checking you tuto in Ilustrator ( thing that i got right now :) ) i see a lots of sources to do it in Ilustrator, but the question was specific to Photoshop.

Chashio
04-03-2013, 11:53 PM
Here you go: Photoshop Actions: Fading parallel Coastal Lines for Oceans and Lakes (http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/19468-brushes-etc-chashio.html#post211921)

Chashio
04-04-2013, 12:41 AM
it is nice, but guess cant edit the style of the line, right?

You can always use a grungy brush on a layer mask to scuff the lines up. Use an adjustment layer to change the hue and whatnot. The smudge tool is pretty nifty for a wreaking-havoc-on-ink look, with the proper settings. You could try one of the distort filters to make the lines less even, if they're not floating on a transparent layer. But, no, layer strokes are rather stubborn in and of themselves.

lostatsea
04-04-2013, 06:31 PM
Here is a technique using layers styles in Photoshop. It has the advantage of being reusable by saving the style and can be tweaked on the fly. It is however limited to a max of 5 rings. It is usable by any of the cs versions. If anyone is interested I'll post the process ! It is easy but not as flexible as some techniques ! 53288

Chashio
04-04-2013, 09:31 PM
Here is a technique using layers styles in Photoshop. ... If anyone is interested I'll post the process !

I'm interested.

lostatsea
04-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Here You go Chashio . My skills in communication are a little rusty so if I missed something or you have questions let me know ! :)There are other settings within the style you can play with but this does the bulk of the work.

Chashio
04-06-2013, 03:09 AM
It looks easy enough but I think I'm incapable of easy things so late at night. I got a solid bar instead of separated lines, so I messed it up somewhere. After a bit of fiddling, I did figure out that you can do a similar thing using the Outer Glow. Made a short tutorial. I'm tired. In fact, I'm really really tired. I'm going to bed.

But thank you for the tutorial! Even though I'm completely inept, I did learn something! :)

lostatsea
04-06-2013, 10:28 AM
Chashio Perhaps you had the range % to low in step 5. Also if the size value in step 3 " size equals spread " is too small then they will all be clumped together. I like the fade effect your technique gives so maybe a combination of the two techniques might yield a better outcome. As stated there are many tweaks to get the details. Photoshop has many roads to get to the end place .

Chashio
04-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Thanks! That's probably what I did. :) I'll try it again later.

I hope my tutorial made sense. I was trying to fit everything into that little blue space (I was tired, so naturally I made it more difficult for myself than necessary) and it may have become overly cryptic. One should be able to do the fading effect with yours, too, theoretically; they both use the contour box to adjust the lines.

Photoshop has many roads to get to the end place It would be horrible if it didn't.

vorropohaiah
04-06-2013, 01:46 PM
@Chashio: used this to lovely effect in this months challenge. It had never occurred to me to use the contours in such a way - such are the wonders of photoshop!

lostatsea
04-06-2013, 02:22 PM
Chashio Yep I went over your tute and sure enough the diminishing height of the peaks also creates a FADE effect on my bevel method . Thanks for the tip. I like the fade effect alot. "Photoshop has many roads to get to the end place " Sometimes this is good and sometimes it gets you lost for awhile.:o

Chashio
04-06-2013, 06:55 PM
@lostatsea: What's wrong with lost?!

@vorropohaiah: Oh nice! I'm glad you found it useful, and coherent; I put orange juice in my coffee this morning.

aquarits
04-06-2013, 09:36 PM
whoa there alots of ways here o.o

Here you go: Photoshop Actions: Fading parallel Coastal Lines for Oceans and Lakes (http://www.cartographersguild.com/mapping-elements/19468-brushes-etc-chashio.html#post211921)
Here i still cannot edit the style of the line. its just some fade. Like if i want a doted path? Can i do it?

Here You go Chashio . My skills in communication are a little rusty so if I missed something or you have questions let me know ! :)There are other settings within the style you can play with but this does the bulk of the work.

This is nice :) but looks like stairs

Both ways i can edit manualy, like erasing, but still not get the way to change the shape of the line

:'(

Chashio
04-06-2013, 09:53 PM
Here i still cannot edit the style of the line. its just some fade. Like if i want a doted path? Can i do it?

I will try to come up with something besides tracing each line with your favorite brush... which I do on occasion. Not wholly fun. You could make the effect a layer (right-click effect in layer panel and click: Make Layer) which will put it on its own layer below the one it was affecting. Then you can create a layer mask for it and fill that with textures or patterns or just scuff it up manually with a grungy brush. I'll think on it.

Chashio
04-06-2013, 10:25 PM
Here's an example of using a pattern fill on a mask to affect the style of the coastal lines... this example shows one of the actions I posted earlier, before and after I apply the mask to the layer.

53354 53355

aquarits
04-06-2013, 10:42 PM
http://rlv.zcache.com.au/table_flip_flipping_rage_face_meme_poster-r178e62e5ca3545aea21aab9c814d5d41_jih_216.jpg

Exactly

it that

i want

Chashio
04-06-2013, 10:47 PM
Two more things I did, which are only necessary if you're obsessed with details, like I am :)

53358 53365

lostatsea
04-07-2013, 10:11 PM
Chashio What's wrong with being lost ?? Look at my name and avatar !:? I am always going in the wrong direction.

aquarits I am not sure if this is what you want but if you check and edit the texture option in step 6 you can change the lines some what. What are you trying to do to the lines specifically ??
FADE ONLY
FADE AND TEXTURE

I went back over your post. It maybe possible to get a Dotted line if you can find or create the right texture to use in Step 6 !

aquarits
04-07-2013, 10:35 PM
Just lines and lines that i can edit with different styles :) its exactly this:

53358 53365

or the effect that i got in my first topic. I try to avoid the relief effect, are just lines and not a stairs effect :D

Chashio
04-08-2013, 01:30 PM
Chashio What's wrong with being lost ?? Look at my name and avatar !:? I am always going in the wrong direction.

Yes, but if you get lost then you can explore and find exciting new destinations! Hmm... perhaps my avatar should have been a fiddler.

Chashio
04-08-2013, 01:46 PM
@aquartis: Another tip: If you want to affect more than one layer with the same mask (not as much flexibility to make small adjustments but it does have its uses), you can dump them all into a folder and apply the mask to the folder.