PDA

View Full Version : Aurellia - Regional campaign map

Arcana
06-16-2008, 12:27 AM
This is a photoshop workup of one region of my new campaign setting. I will be starting off the campaign as I mentioned before by running the "Keep on the Shadowfell" Module...instead of "Winterhaven" I'll be running the game from Northwynd Village on this map.

I of course used the output from FT to create the terrain. BUT...I exported various different aspects that I can use as layers in photoshop.

Basically its the waldronate image climate shader as the base layer for color

Then I have an all white altitude map exported with shading turned on, set to multiply on top of the climate shader map.

Then the latlong lines are exported separately (and will soon become path traces)

The rivers were exported from FT as blue overlay on white background (altitude map again all set to white, no shading) traced using the photoshop's pen tool...then I stroked the path using a brush with fade set up for brush size controller (to make the river shrink as it goes upstream)...

Then of course, the labels and towns and whatnot.

I still have a LOT of detail to add, such as forests, many more towns, lakes, roads, ruins, etc.

Redrobes is also possibly going to give me a better cleaned up tersys calculated overlay to replace the wilbur ridged multifractal overlay...Good times ;)

I'm sooo excited to be mapping again.

waldronate
06-16-2008, 01:55 AM
I'm wounded that you didn't want to use the erosion features in Wilbur.

ravells
06-16-2008, 05:41 AM
Looking really good, Robbie! Can't wait to see the rest taking shape!

Arcana
06-16-2008, 07:29 AM
I'm wounded that you didn't want to use the erosion features in Wilbur.

I tried it, but it didn't clean up the noise from the multifractal, and I didn't care too much for the rivers it cut through the terrain. Got any pointers for good results? I'm not opposed to using it thats for sure!

Redrobes
06-16-2008, 08:15 AM
You asked for a push through GTS so here are the results.

I have let it go watery but I could dry it up if you want. The main issue is that from the original height map the terrain is very flat in places. I am attaching a color grad plot also. Where its black its very near completely flat. Then it goes through the spectrum so red is pretty flat also then green has a little grad to it going up into blue and purple which is steep and then white is very steep - clifflike.

In general areas that are black or red are not good for water flow. Greens and blues are fine and where steep it will erode a lot.

Another thing I forgot to ask is what the max height of the tallest mountain is and what is the base temperature. So this is with about a 3000m mountain and 15deg C temp - thats giving a little snow on the top of it.

To correct for the water needs either making the land take on a little gradient in the current flat areas or I can up the evaporation which will dry them out in the low lands. If you like it the way it is then I can dump the texture & height maps.

waldronate
06-16-2008, 08:49 AM
Here are some examples of ways to play with the precipiton erosion feature in Wilbur.

Arcana
06-16-2008, 09:18 AM
Highest peak is 3315 ft. So only 1010 meters.
Average temperature is a steamy 50-75 F yearly average...
Rainfall is about 48 in. per year average

Northern portion of the region is Temperate, while the southern and coastal portion is tropical deciduous.

As for applying slight gradient, and getting rid of the flatter areas, I'm not sure...

I'd like to keep the coastlines as much in tact as possible...I don't know how much rain you dropped on it, but given the scale of the map those rivers are like 20 miles wide in your eroded version :( Bleh hehehe...I dunno...Maybe I picked a bad area to start with? See if those numbers help things or worsen things.

waldronate, I'll play a bit with wilbur too and see what I come up with...maybe I'll come up with a more useable heightmap even that I can send to redrobes and get the best of both applications.

Arcana
06-16-2008, 05:59 PM
Whats a good way to do lakes in FT? I tried painting raised water levels, but the result didnt make much sense to me.

RobA
06-16-2008, 07:32 PM
Fill basins will flatten out all the inland seas. I think there was a way Joe used lighting effects to select all the flat areas and create a mask based on that...

-Rob A>

waldronate
06-16-2008, 07:45 PM
Whats a good way to do lakes in FT? I tried painting raised water levels, but the result didnt make much sense to me.
There should be something on the Actions Menu (or maybe the Rivers menu - I forget) that fills basins as lakes. Basically does the fill basins operation and then sets the water level to the filled heights where they differ from the original heights.

Arcana
06-16-2008, 07:48 PM
I did that and ended up with the world of 40 thousand lakes...bleh...

I'd like to manually paint in lakes if possible, unless I've just totally screwed the pooch on this world from that tutorial ya gave me?

waldronate
06-16-2008, 08:35 PM
To remove the many little lakes that might be generated, use Tools>>Global Set>>Water Level Value with a value of 0. This action puts the level back to the original sea level (0).

You get lots of little lakes because fractal functions have hills and valleys at all scales (self-similarity sorta dictates that). Post-processing such as filling basins and so on works well, but you're limited by practical resolution issues.

One thing you can try is to eliminate the fractal function and use FT as a simple heightfield editor like Wilbur. You'll be limited to the editing resolution of your world, which is a bummer. The "Burn Into Surface" option evaluates the world, places the results into the offset channel, and sets the roughness to 0, effectively removing the fractal function contribution. Fill basins should then fill basins exactly and not have the problem of slight variations causing little lakes everywhere. As always, try this on a COPY of your .ftw file, not on the only version.

Arcana
08-10-2008, 02:01 AM
Just fired this back up...circles are cities, towns, villages...squares are keeps or fortresses, diamonds are ruins, house shapes are religious. I think thats everything. I basically did a bunch of photoshop stuff to a bunch of layers exported from FT...I think its working out pretty well...the color layer MAY eventually become hand sketched, as well as the altitude layer...not sure yet...

The only thing this is missing is the roads. I'm kinda going for a cross between my own original style and some handsomerob style, but I don't think I'm getting my own style in there just yet. What do you guys think?

BTW...this is all FT and Photoshop. The yellow line is the kingdom border.

ravells
08-10-2008, 06:00 AM
I love the grainy texture. It looks like you can run your fingers over the map and feel it.

If you're using photoshop, just as an experiment, it might be worth changing the colour of the large region names to a browny colour with a large dark brown stroke, setting the layer to overlay and using a displacement map of a blurred version of the underlying map.

For the forests, rather than just a uniform semitransparent colour through which the land texture shows, you might want to use a different fill texture and again use a displacement map.

Depends on the effects that you're shooting for though.

Example below.

Arcana
08-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Nice, thanks Ravs ;) I did experiment a little with some more layer effects and textures...I don't really want to use a texture overlay on the forests, but I did give it that inner glow and I gave it a brown shadow to simulate its "majesty" hehehe.

I like the text effect you did for the mountain range things. I need to export a height map before I can use it though...Thanks ;) Here's an update.

ravells
08-10-2008, 03:11 PM
No worries Robbie. You don't need a heightmap to get that lettering effect. Just convert your underlying map to greyscale and blur it a bit. Then save it as a separate file. Put down your lettering on a new layer and choose filter/distort/displacement and load the blurred greyscale as your selection and that should do it.

jfrazierjr
08-10-2008, 04:27 PM
The (predominant) water effect is REALLY nice. I am not to keen on the few dark bits in the bay and the dark parts past the large island sheltering the bay though....They just look to dark and splotchy to me...

Arcana
08-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Yeah, thats the FT continental shelf thing...I may edit out the ones in the bay, but the ones off the coast of the island will probably stay.

Ascension
08-10-2008, 10:45 PM
This looks really beautiful. Except for that one lil part near aregean strip...looks like some trees that were forgotten to get colored. But otherwise this is really sweet.

Arcana
08-13-2008, 10:14 PM
I'm almost ready to call this done...its not very artsy...I'll do an artsy version later, this is primarily a functional map...I made a LOT of changes to this one...some suggested...

The Cartographist
08-14-2008, 02:10 AM
Arcana - I'm going to disagree with Joe on this one. I really LIKE the dark splotches in the bay. It is obvious (to me) that they are deep trenches/gorges/pits in the ocean floor. It is also obvious (to me) that they are the home of sahaguin raiders or ancient ruins or some such. I say keep 'em.

torstan
08-14-2008, 03:49 AM
I love it. Looks good to me. Looks like a fun kingdom.

Arcana
08-14-2008, 07:38 AM
Thanks guys! I decided to keep the splotches...for just that reason actually...I know for a fact I'll be able to use em.

Arcana
08-23-2008, 09:52 PM
Updated.

I redid the forests completely, and added a few more of them to boot. Made them more splotchy and hopefully more natural as opposed to big green blobs.

I also added the burning gorge. My primary evil deity is Consecra, The Burning Queen. Her worshippers waged war several hundred years ago and in the process set fire to a huge area of the kingdom. The war ended with a treatise that "gave" them their land to burn and marr as they saw fit so long as they didn't use their large scale fire magicks on any of the kings lands. There is a HUGE (more than 50 miles long) rift in the earth that was opened by their fiery pact with Consecra, and it is the source of their power. So the big blackened area west of the Eastpeaks is the home of Consecra's Burning Host.

I'm thinking of putting some orange/magma in the rift and maybe some magma pools or something in the burning gorge area.

What say ye all?

Steel General
08-23-2008, 11:10 PM
I say go for it, if it doesn't turn out quite how you hoped, you can always turn the level off!

Nice job, I like it.

jfrazierjr
08-23-2008, 11:57 PM
Updated.

I redid the forests completely, and added a few more of them to boot. Made them more splotchy and hopefully more natural as opposed to big green blobs.

I also added the burning gorge. My primary evil deity is Consecra, The Burning Queen. Her worshippers waged war several hundred years ago and in the process set fire to a huge area of the kingdom. The war ended with a treatise that "gave" them their land to burn and marr as they saw fit so long as they didn't use their large scale fire magicks on any of the kings lands. There is a HUGE (more than 50 miles long) rift in the earth that was opened by their fiery pact with Consecra, and it is the source of their power. So the big blackened area west of the Eastpeaks is the home of Consecra's Burning Host.

I'm thinking of putting some orange/magma in the rift and maybe some magma pools or something in the burning gorge area.

What say ye all?

I rather like the change to the forests... Nice...

Arcana
08-24-2008, 12:33 AM
Thanks! I'm really thinking about moving this to Illustrator though...I think I'd be able to put MUCH more into it. Wouldn't be as artsy, but woudl be much more functional.

ravells
08-24-2008, 06:00 AM
Looking really good Arcana! My only small comment is that the river labels might look a little better if you increased the spacing between the characters and 'followed' the line of the river. Example below using Times New Roman, but you'll obviously want to use your own font.

Arcana
08-24-2008, 11:47 AM
Nice! How do you make it follow a line?

jfrazierjr
08-24-2008, 01:14 PM
Nice! How do you make it follow a line?

In Gimp at least, there is a Text to Path command. I assume PS has something like that. Don't ,know about other software though.

ravells
08-24-2008, 02:25 PM
Make a path using the pen tool. Select the Text tool and hover the pointer near the first node of the path, the pointer shape will change. Left click and start typing. The text will follow the path. To increase the spacing between the characters, click the format character menu on the top context bar. It will bring up a sub menu from which you can increase the spacing.