PDA

View Full Version : April 2013 Challenge Entry: Tir Oiche

Diamond
04-02-2013, 08:09 PM
I'm using the bottom section of the 3rd posted example map. This is going to be a sort of Bronze/Iron Age pseudo-Celtic setting; 'Tir Oiche' is my butchered spelling of 'The Night Country' in Irish.

###Latest WIP###

Diamond
04-02-2013, 09:54 PM
An update, with some glaciers!

### Latest WIP ###

vorropohaiah
04-03-2013, 01:02 AM
Nice start. I had some trouble making my coastline convincing given the pixely style on the source map. I'll probably go over mine again today

EDIT: your map isn't showing up in the gallery (might be the map header?)

- Max -
04-03-2013, 03:52 AM
The theme sounds promising, looking forward to see the progress on it.

Diamond
04-03-2013, 11:33 AM
Mountains are killing me, as usual...

- Max -
04-03-2013, 11:39 AM
:D wanna borrow some of mines?

Diamond
04-03-2013, 11:18 PM
Naaaah. I'll feel much better about myself if I hammer them out on my own. :D

Diamond
04-05-2013, 02:25 AM
I got lazy and decided to use Pickebu's set (which doesn't seem to be posted at DeviantArt anymore... ). I might redo them. I don't know. Discouraged at all my attempts this time around.

Added some clipart decorations, corner ornaments, etc. and started roughing in human and dwarven cities. The banners will be the names of the various nations and tribal lands. I might get rid of them or modify the concept depending on how things look later on. Also experimented with a couple of different fonts; nothing set in stone there yet either.

### Latest WIP ###

- Max -
04-05-2013, 03:15 AM
I'm not sure that the banners style and Rosemary Roman will give a pseudo celtic touch :/ Well let's see the next steps ;)

Diamond
04-05-2013, 01:11 PM
Yep, I agree completely. Back to the drawing board.

vorropohaiah
04-06-2013, 01:00 AM
yeah, a more fitting font would look much better with that iconography. Perhaps even change the entire map border to swirly celticy lines, if you know what i mean

Diamond
04-06-2013, 05:00 PM
I decided to get away from mountains icons per se altogether, changing instead to a 19th century style fuzzy caterpillar instead. I decided to go very dark for this map, hence the stained and aged parchment look.

### Latest WIP ###

Diamond
04-07-2013, 12:18 AM
More stuff added.

### Latest WIP ###

vorropohaiah
04-07-2013, 10:19 AM
looking nice, though the 'rust stains' look a quite thick and obscure the map quite a bit in some places. maybe tone them down a bit?

Diamond
04-07-2013, 07:04 PM
I haven't toned down the stains/grunge yet; I'm experimenting with different looks there. In the meantime, here's an update. I'm not sure if I'm going to keep the colors for the various countries; they look good (to me, anyway) with the grunge overlay I've got on there currently; it's subject to change though.

### Latest WIP ###

- Max -
04-07-2013, 07:17 PM
Really nice, though I agree with Vorropohaiah about the stained texture.

Sapiento
04-08-2013, 03:20 AM
Cool map, maybe the texture is a little bit too heavy.

aquarits
04-08-2013, 03:42 AM
what is that text font? is amazing.

Eilathen
04-08-2013, 08:22 AM
To be honest, i like the version in Post nr 8 a lot better than those current ones. Not sure the rust-flavour works for me. And (surprise, surprise :D ) i can't stand caterpillar mountains. Especially since the name of the map reminds me more of a celtic kind of setting...and not a modern one (but that may be totally wrong, i know ;) ).

Diamond
04-08-2013, 02:38 PM
@Max & Sap: Yep, I'll be posting some different looks for the grunge layer over the next week.

@aquarits: It's called Windlass. It is cool, isn't it?

@Eilathen: I can't please all of the people all of the time. :D

vorropohaiah
04-08-2013, 02:42 PM

ah but when people are voting for it, it sure helps :)

Larion
04-08-2013, 03:03 PM
I like the border on the map, but try as I might, I can't figure out how to make one like it that looks good. How do you do it?

- Max -
04-08-2013, 06:09 PM
But, but,but...Where are the Oghams?

aquarits
04-08-2013, 07:13 PM
@aquarits: It's called Windlass. It is cool, isn't it?

Really cool :) :D Congrats for the choice

Eilathen
04-09-2013, 02:18 PM

But... but....i'm your biggest fan *dog-eyes* ... :D

Can you comment on the name? It sounds very celtic... it's one of the reasons i have a disconnect with the style. But maybe you had no celtic flavour in mind....or it's supposed to be the celts of the 24th century ;)

gpig
04-09-2013, 02:18 PM
I love this map. I especially like how there are wild lands without a country. I may just have to use this map for my campaign. Thank you!

Gpig

Diamond
04-09-2013, 05:51 PM
But... but....i'm your biggest fan *dog-eyes* ... :D

Can you comment on the name? It sounds very celtic... it's one of the reasons i have a disconnect with the style. But maybe you had no celtic flavour in mind....or it's supposed to be the celts of the 24th century ;)

The name is my no-doubt mangled interpretation of 'lands of night'.

The civilizations are pseudo-celtic, but I guess the map is from a much later period in this world's history, hence the disconnect between theme and style. ...Plus, how would I make an authentic Celtic map? Tan a deer hide and draw the map on that? :D (Just kidding, I know you meant ornamentions and suchlike. I am going to add some more stuff that will hopefully flavor it up a little.)

@Larion: Here's my steps in making a border like the one on this map. (Assuming you're using photoshop.)

1. Find or make yourself a checkerboard pattern of four black and white squares (make the pattern fairly large so you can scale it up or down without serious loss of resolution.

2. On your map, activate the ruler/guides/whatever-it's-called function.

3. Decide how close to the edge of the document you want the border to be; in this instance I think I went about 20-30 pixels away from the edge.

4. Drag out four guides from the sides to the distance you want the border to be from the edge of the map. I find it easier to do this if you lay down some kind of temporary pattern or grunge or something instead of just plain white or some other one-color scheme so that you can actually count the number of pixels easier. (Make sure you're zoomed in a decent amount for this step, like 800 or 1200%, so you can see the individual pixels.)

5. Once you've got your 4 guides laid down, create a new layer and make a square selection inside the guides (make sure you have the 'snap to' option on in your ruler/guide menu.

6. Fill that box with black.

7. Make two copies of that black box layer.

8. Hide the top two copies and go back to the original box layer (it should still be selected). Select-->Contract by however thick you want this outer border to be (this will be the checkerboard outer border). I believe I made mine 25 pixels in width.

9. Hit the delete button. This leaves you with just the outer black border. Then deselect.

10. Layer-->Layer selection-->pattern. Here's where your checkerboard pattern comes in - use it as your pattern selection, and scale it up or down to get the effect you want - different size black and white sections around the border, different starting locations for each section, etc.

11. Layer-->Layer selection-->stroke. I used a black 3 pixel 'inside' stroke.

12. Hide that layer, and make one of the two 'box copies' layers visible. Select that entire black box. Select--Contract by AT LEAST the size of your outer border plus 5-10 pixels. Select-->Inverse. Delete. This gives you a smaller solid black box inside the checkerboard outer border.

13. Select that second border layer again, Select-->Contract by however thick you want this border (I opted for 5 pixels). Delete. This gives you a fairly thin black, second border inside the first.

14. Repeat for the second 'box copy' layer, but contract it further to fit inside the previous layers and make the width thinner.

That's pretty much it. I'm at work and don't have photoshop in front of me here so some of my terminology may be off, but I can clean it up later if anything's unclear to you. Hope it helps.

Will Brawner
04-11-2013, 08:05 PM
What a great map! This'll win the contest for sure. I think you definitely succeeded with the Celtic feel without overdoing it. Nice work.

Diamond
04-12-2013, 03:29 AM
Well I appreciate that, Will, but we'll see. IMO there's several maps far better than mine posted so far (voro I'm looking at you!).

...Which reminds me, I got to get back to work on this tomorrow.

vorropohaiah
04-12-2013, 05:31 AM
Well I appreciate that, Will, but we'll see. IMO there's several maps far better than mine posted so far (voro I'm looking at you!).

thanks for the mini tut.

Larb
04-12-2013, 06:09 PM
The map is looking great ad the mini-tutorial is really useful! I've been meaning to make a border like that for some of my maps instead of my "go-to dual translucent line" thing.

You should put it in the how-to section!

Diamond
04-12-2013, 06:17 PM
Thanks, Larb. I'll re-write it, clean it up, and repost it there.

Here's an update. I changed the forest from tree icons (which I don't think meshed well with the fuzzy-caterpillar mountains) and altered the grunge layer and the national/color layer a bit.

### Latest WIP ###

foremost
04-12-2013, 07:08 PM
Wow, that looks really nice! There are certainly a few things that can be tweaked, but my goodness that's cool. :P I like the dirt/stains on the map, and the border is interesting. Nice labels too. I have lots of good things to say about this really.

Diamond
04-12-2013, 08:25 PM
All labels completed. Next up: some political symbols, goblin clan glyphs, maybe some celtic clipart if I can find any that's public domain and looks decent.

### Latest WIP ###

- Max -
04-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Very nice redish tones overall... The south glacier isn't that convincing though in my opinion.

Diamond
04-13-2013, 04:35 PM
I'll experiment a little more with the glacier; I'm thinking about keeping the overall shape, but making it more jagged and angular instead of rounded.

Here's an update with some shields/coats-of-arms for the most prominent states.

### Latest WIP ###

- Max -
04-13-2013, 04:45 PM
I'm thinking about keeping the overall shape, but making it more jagged and angular instead of rounded.

Exactly what I was thinking ;)

Diamond
04-13-2013, 11:58 PM
Updated glaciers.

### Latest WIP ###

vorropohaiah
04-14-2013, 02:42 AM
looking nice

eViLe_eAgLe
04-16-2013, 03:09 PM
I like the way the glaciers are now, but if you'd take a bit of critique; I think the glaciers would look better if they had some sort of gradient with the land, rather than that of a sharp point like you have with the glaciers on water. Personally, I think it would look better.

Diamond
04-16-2013, 07:43 PM
Do you mean, following the contours of the land (and the mountains where they intersect)? I was thinking about that this morning, as a matter of fact. It's a good idea, but at this point I'm kind of sick of looking at this map. :D I've still got almost 2 weeks before the end of the contest though, so I may take another look at it.

And I'm ALWAYS up for criticism, as long as it's constructive and not just along the lines of 'it's poopy'. :D

eViLe_eAgLe
04-17-2013, 02:55 PM
it's poopy

Diamond
04-17-2013, 11:18 PM
lol YOU'RE poopy. :D

Schwarzkreuz
04-24-2013, 03:57 AM
You never disappoint to Be a tough competition in the challenges.

arsheesh
04-25-2013, 04:15 AM
Huh, interesting way of representing mountains and trees. It's a lovely map Diamond. The font is really great as well.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Diamond
04-25-2013, 01:59 PM
Thanks, fellas. This is probably going to be it; I can't think of anything else to do with this map, and honestly I'm kinda tired of looking at it. :D

- Max -
04-25-2013, 02:17 PM
The map is great, as usual! Though I miss more celtic touch (there's only a few in the ornaments and on the names) ;)

vorropohaiah
04-25-2013, 04:18 PM
liking the names though the nation colours (if that;s what they are) are a bit confusing. the similar colours/tones across the map make them difficult to differentiate.

Diamond
04-25-2013, 08:48 PM
Yeah, I did it that way on purpose to give the whole thing an aged and dirty look; I tried to pick colors that in a way kind of bled into the grunge layer. Which I guess I succeeded at, but y'all are not digging the effect. :D

aquarits
04-29-2013, 07:38 PM
i liked so much the keys for sure i want to try something like this.

Nice map, like i said before, the font in your labels fits amazing with your style