PDA

View Full Version : WIP Varisia (Pathfinder - Golarion)

angelroble
04-04-2013, 02:12 PM
I have beggining with a map of the orography/reliefs. It's almost done (probably I will correct some elements and errors), so I thought I could post it to get some feedback

Higher resolution here:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B4lQmHDs5boJaWJad3hqSzlCTFE/edit?usp=sharing

arsheesh
04-04-2013, 06:55 PM
Looks promising. Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

angelroble
05-13-2013, 11:33 AM
Veeery slowly, but I keep working on this map. Here's a first draft, though much work still ahead. I have been having problems mainly with the colors and "floor"/earth textures. Can't find one that I really like. You'll see some variations I have been trying in towns/cities and fonts, and some text in spanish. You may ignore them by now.

lostatsea
05-13-2013, 07:48 PM
I agree with arsheesh. This looks promising! Have some REP to encourage you to continue !

angelroble
05-22-2013, 08:24 AM
Changes: river/lake style, town/city icons and texts (not sure about city hexagonal icon), roads, floor textures, overall color.

WhatTheBlazes
05-22-2013, 10:54 AM
That's pretty rad! The mountains are handsome, and your icons for cities and whatnot look pretty great to me. It's possible that the large ones are slightly too large, though?

angelroble
05-23-2013, 01:37 PM
That's pretty rad! The mountains are handsome, and your icons for cities and whatnot look pretty great to me. It's possible that the large ones are slightly too large, though?
Thanks! You are right, the city hexaagonal symbols are too large, I'll reduce them later.
I've worked on sea and coast relief, also added some islands. Detail:

angelroble
05-27-2013, 06:52 AM
Updates: some mountain ranges, textures of swamp and wastes, city symbols, frontiers (red/white dots). Im unsure about the nations' symbols (Belkzen, Nirmathas and Nidal), what do you think about the wood "back"?

angelroble
05-29-2013, 08:02 AM
Added some texts (rivers...). Changed floor textures. Added swamp textures (Mushfens area) and changed floor general texture

Schwarzkreuz
05-29-2013, 09:05 AM
A very good start into mapping. You realy created a coherent feel with colors and Structures, keep on.

angelroble
06-01-2013, 07:30 AM
Corrections on mountains, plateau, borders; added valleys, some places; corrected colors (though not very sure about them)

angelroble
06-03-2013, 12:12 PM
Added a parchment texture I found

arsheesh
06-04-2013, 01:14 AM
Looking good angelroble, the colors are very nice. One suggestion would be to tone down the white stroke on your labels and icons since it seems to be a bit distracting. I would try adding a Gaussian Blur and then reducing the opacity somewhat. Otherwise nice job.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

OverdrivePrime
07-16-2013, 11:51 AM
Wow, this is outstanding. Great work, Angelrobe. Very helpful to me - I'm starting a campaign in Varisia, and was really not happy with the current maps available. Until I found yours, that is!

Klaus van der Kroft
07-16-2013, 05:10 PM
This is a great map indeed!

One thing I noticed, though: The parchment texture you used seems to be smaller than the map, so you can actually see the edges on some parts (particularly in the top-left corner). Perhaps scaling it up a bit so that the edges match the borders of the image would fix it.

thepinksalmon
07-16-2013, 07:56 PM
I really like you mountains. How did you go about making them? They're really sharp at the peaks which is something I struggle with.

angelroble
07-20-2013, 03:17 PM
This is a great map indeed!

One thing I noticed, though: The parchment texture you used seems to be smaller than the map, so you can actually see the edges on some parts (particularly in the top-left corner). Perhaps scaling it up a bit so that the edges match the borders of the image would fix it.
Right. This is a work in progress, so you'll find errors or things incomplete. I plan on drawing a map border (you can see some of it in the upper portion of the map), when I have time to complete the map... it's been a long time since I started it!

Edit: actually, what you see at the left side of the map is the border

angelroble
07-20-2013, 03:36 PM
I really like you mountains. How did you go about making them? They're really sharp at the peaks which is something I struggle with.
I use two layers for mountains, both with bevel/emboss (great deepness) and shadows. Just played with those options, brushes and brush opacity.
56260 Sorry, in Spanish

angelroble
07-20-2013, 03:38 PM
Wow, this is outstanding. Great work, Angelrobe. Very helpful to me - I'm starting a campaign in Varisia, and was really not happy with the current maps available. Until I found yours, that is!
I hope I finish it before you are done woth your campaign

- Max -
07-20-2013, 03:52 PM
You know than you can edit your post to avoid double/triple posts right?

Janek van Baal
09-20-2013, 04:31 PM
looks very promising, will use the finished product for sure. (using the wip already)

- Max -
09-20-2013, 04:44 PM
Be sure that you are allowed by the map's creator to use it though ;)

Janek van Baal
09-30-2013, 06:33 PM
oeps, didn't do that... well it's only for my monday rpg tabletop games that i use it to keep track where the team party goes.

angelroble
04-09-2014, 12:36 PM
Almost a year later, I have resumed this map. I think I am quite done. I will be correcting errors and some little things I don't know what to do about them. BUT the map will look very much like it does now.
I've added a map border, texture by arsheesh. Thanks!

boombrakh
06-01-2014, 02:31 PM
I have to say that this is absolutely stunning! Worthy of printing and putting up on my wall.

Is there a version of the map I can use without the names? Or some way I can use this map as a strategic war map?.. Just looking at this map fills my brain meats with ideas! I'd like for the players as they explore to have the map filled in. Hell, i'd pay for that if you wanted me to.

Thank you angelroble for an amazing map!

boombrakh
06-01-2014, 02:48 PM
I want to print this on like, a canvas or cloth or something.. to use as an actual prop in my upcoming campaign.

H Marc Bower
07-03-2014, 12:35 AM
Very nicely done - my favourite area of Golarion. :) It's time to misappropriate some ink at work, I think. ;)

Iggy
07-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Almost a year later, I have resumed this map. I think I am quite done. I will be correcting errors and some little things I don't know what to do about them. BUT the map will look very much like it does now.
I've added a map border, texture by arsheesh. Thanks!

Love it, great style you've used!