PDA

View Full Version : My first map (WIP)

Palanka
06-18-2008, 08:13 PM
Hello all!

This is my first map. It's the starting area for my new 4e campaing. I made it following ZombieNirvana's video tutorials.

I plan to add a marsh to the north and some cultivated lands to the farms outside the town.

Comments are very welcomed as I have a lot to learn :D !!!

landorl
06-18-2008, 09:13 PM
This is a pretty nice looking map. I like the colors that you are using, and the general shape of the map.

I don't really like mixing two different styles though. Your buildings are all top down views, while the hill and trees are all at an angle. I don't think the two styles mix well.

Also, and I don't know if this is a complaint as much as an observance, Most of the houses are pretty small when compared with the roads in the main town.

ravells
06-18-2008, 09:18 PM
That is a fantastic map, Palanka...did you say you have never done this before?

I don't believe you! :)

Ascension
06-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I looked at the map and said wow nice job. Then I read what lando said and I agree about the roads but I didn't even notice that at first as I was just looking at the aesthetic entirety so keep up the good work.

jfrazierjr
06-18-2008, 09:53 PM
Very nice for your first attempt! I agree with other posters, but mostly with a) the ISO trees (which look LOVELY btw) vs the top down buildings and b) the trees are WAY to big for the size of the buildings.

Joe

NeonKnight
06-19-2008, 01:54 AM
I love that map. What software did you use?

Palanka
06-19-2008, 07:47 AM
Thanks a lot for the comments!

I used photoshop for the map. It's entirely digital.

I didn't realize about the difference in style before landorl pointed it out. Thank you very much!

Now I don't know what could be better (and easier :P ): remake the ISO items into flat so they match the buildings or remake the buildings into ISO style?

Midgardsormr
06-19-2008, 11:21 AM
I think it's fine the way it is, view and scale both, but if you want to change it I can only think it would be easier to redo the forests rather than try to make an isometric view of the town, especially at that scale.

landorl
06-19-2008, 02:59 PM
I also want to add that your first attempt is a lot better than many of my best maps!