PDA

View Full Version : Colour Blur/Blend in Photoshop?

Smithy
04-06-2013, 08:00 AM
Hi,
I am currently trying to produce a map using one of the tutorials and have hit a problem with blending the colours. I can't seem to get the Blur effect to work? What am i doing wrong. I went back and tried the tut again and still no blur. I am new to using Photoshop so am a bit clueless.

Here's a pic of where i am at, you can see the sketchy lines of colour that i cant get to blur/blend. (I tried some other things out using brushes etc so ignore the vaguely blended bits in middle.)

Thanks,
Smithy

thamupp
04-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Might I ask what tutorial you are following?

- Max -
04-06-2013, 08:27 AM
How did you try to blur it?

Smithy
04-06-2013, 08:43 AM
Sorry, should have mentioned that. I merged the 5 layers and then went to 'Filter / Blur / Blur'. I tried various things here, but the tut just says "Blur the merged layer" and doesn't elaborate for noobs like me on how you actually do it.

- Max -
04-06-2013, 09:16 AM
The simple "Blur" Effect is a very light effect, especially on big shapes. Try "Gaussian Blur" playing with values to see if it goes better.

vorropohaiah
04-06-2013, 09:16 AM
can youlink back to the original tutorial and tell us which step it is?

Smithy
04-06-2013, 10:21 AM
Tried Gaussian with higher values and it looks better but not the smooth effect of blending seen in the tut.

Like this....

- Max -
04-06-2013, 10:42 AM
can youlink back to the original tutorial and tell us which step it is?

What Vorropohaiah said...

Smithy
04-06-2013, 10:51 AM
It was in Jeremy Elford's one......
http://www.cartographersguild.com/attachments/tutorials-how/21666d1264969649-award-winner-making-maps-photoshop-jezelf_tut_map04.pdf

Part 1.7 where he talks about sketching colours in etc.

- Max -
04-06-2013, 11:13 AM
Hmm...It seems that your coasltines were very pixellated before you applied some blur, so you probably have to blur them a lot but doing this, you lost outline quality. I'd suggest you get first a landmass that is less pixellated.

Smithy
04-06-2013, 11:34 AM
Don't know how to do that, except by starting from scratch? I have the land mass in an all black layer. Can i sharpen the edges to make it less pixellated?

Chashio
04-06-2013, 06:56 PM
My observances of the step in question:

- You want to have your landmass selected at all stages of coloring and blurring. This keeps your coastline true, I think?

- The layers you select to create the new layer that you blur does not include the base landmass color. Only the colors that you sketch on top to change it. That is how I read the tutorial.

- You could keep hitting the filter:blur/blur more or the filter:gaussion blur, or if it's not working the way you want it to...
- you could use the blur tool from the leftside tool panel, or
- you could use the smudge tool from the leftside tool panel (make sure its brush setting includes a good bit of jitter, unclick opacity and noise settings, and turn down the flow and the brush size to suit your needs).

The tutorial does mention that the blur 'gradually' blends the colors. Whether he meant doing it by hand or applying the filter a little at a time, I don't know.

Also note, step 1:9 says to use a filter:Gaussian Blur:Radius 30.0 pixels, and the before/after image at that step seems to do what you're looking for on the land. I'd try that and see what happens.

aquarits
04-06-2013, 08:28 PM
Magic Wand your ocean area and make it inverse.
Use the Blur Box (filter) and start adjust, it easy can let you see a preview of the blur. I guess it will give you a idea in wat way you trying to go.

Smithy
04-07-2013, 05:19 PM
Thanks fore the tips everyone. I will follow your advise on the next attempt i do. This one has gone too far down the line to do it properly, so i am just going to work with what i have.