PDA

View Full Version : The Vycana Strait - A Political Map

Larion
04-08-2013, 02:23 PM
So this is a new style of map I've been working on. Rather than focus on geographical features like I normally do, I decided to go for a more political look. I made it entirely in photoshop from scratch, it took me a little over 3 hours, and I like the way it has turned out.

I pulled inspiration from the American Civil War, with a North vs. South layout. For anyone who cares, the war is centered on slavery, hence the line near the bottom reading
"Depicting the Second Slave War". I received quite a bit of feedback for a previous map, and I took lots of the advice and used it in the creation of this map. I added in more details, including population levels, major geographical names, and a home made mountain graphic.

I hope you like it, and I hope to receive even more feedback so I can keep working on this new style. Thanks! (this is the old version, now)

And here's an updated, slightly more detailed version I posted on the second page but wanted to move to the front.

:)

Kyquanzo
04-08-2013, 04:12 PM
Awesome map! What do the stripes in the middle represent?

arsheesh
04-08-2013, 04:24 PM
I like it. It's functional yet attractive. Lovely work.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Larb
04-08-2013, 04:46 PM
I'm assuming the red/yellow striped bits represent disputed rather than occupied territory.

I like it, it's nice and uncluttered. I also like the border.

Larion
04-09-2013, 11:34 AM
Yes, Larb is correct. Striped areas indicate that ownership of the land is disputed. Violently ;)

CaptainSputnik
04-09-2013, 11:54 AM
I like the cleanliness of this map :D Really like those disputed territory stripes that add a sense of visual tension to the map.

Diamond
04-10-2013, 12:02 AM
That is a map after my own heart.

And I love the mountains. ;)

MushroomKingdom
04-10-2013, 02:41 AM
actually looks like a real map (lol), very nice

Larion
04-10-2013, 04:38 PM
Thanks everyone! It's great to have my work appreciated. You've all been very kind. Anything anyone would do differently? Or anything in general I could do to up the quality of the map? Thanks! :)

jbgibson
04-10-2013, 11:39 PM
There's just not much TO change. It looks great. Maybe since you show the extent of the war, you could hint at its progress- battle symbols with dates?

Larion
04-12-2013, 02:13 AM
There's just not much TO change. It looks great. Maybe since you show the extent of the war, you could hint at its progress- battle symbols with dates?

I considered this. But, in the end, it cluttered up the clean look I had going. However, next time I make a map in this style, it will be far bigger so I can accomodate little details like this :) Thanks for the feedback :)

Larion
04-18-2013, 12:31 PM
After putting the map down, and picking it back up a few days later, I decided to make a large number of minor tweaks. Mostly name changes. I also changed population sizes to more accurately reflect medieval demographics. I added in dots that represent villages. And I made the mountains smaller but more plentiful :)

- Max -
04-18-2013, 12:37 PM
Looks a bit odd to add villages dots without labeling them in my opinion...

Allerion
04-21-2013, 12:52 PM
Excellent map Larion. I really like the font you use for place names.

Larion
05-05-2013, 12:01 AM
Thanks! I think it's called something like Optimus Princeps? Or something like that. It's a very "official" looking font :)

spysam2002
08-02-2013, 08:38 AM
I love it. I was wondering if you could sell it to me for a film project I am doing. Maybe 20 dollars?

-Sam