PDA

View Full Version : April 2013 Challenge Entry - Orsmata

matty406
04-09-2013, 04:01 PM
Hello Cartographer's Guild! So I found out about this challenge through the DF dev blog. As a DF player with some creative skill to burn, I thought I'd give it a shot.
From the main map, I'm cropping a section of it. I'll use Dwarf Fortress' map export tools to tell me which settlements trade with which others, to help create a map of a localised set of trade routes.

### Latest WIP ###
Scaled down to shave some filesize off, for a preview.

- Max -
04-09-2013, 04:08 PM
Welcome to CG Matty, seems you're off to a good start with nice and clean coastlines

Diamond
04-09-2013, 08:31 PM
Ooooh, nice! Another good entry a-startin'...

matty406
04-10-2013, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the warm welcome you two. :)
Wee update with style for labels. I'm wondering whether I should stick solely to the generator's names or make up my own; it can come up with some really silly things like a brook named 'Littlespasm'.

Sticking some rough notes written in Tolkien Dwarf runes in there too, as if the map is used both by human and dwarf traders who.
### Latest WIP ###

matty406
04-10-2013, 04:14 PM
Setting up mountain ranges and looking into the style for them.

### LATEST WIP ###

- Max -
04-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Looks nice...Though the label is way too big and not very legible.

Chashio
04-10-2013, 07:48 PM
Hand-drawn mountains? Kudos! I like that compass design too. You might size down the title label (if it is a title label) and place it under the compass, or in the top left corner? Maybe not, but it does seem quite large for the image.

matty406
04-10-2013, 08:15 PM
Thanks! The label is for the region names, but in light of these recent comments I'm most likely going to rework it, make it less imposing, probably change it from blackletter to a serif font maybe.

Diamond
04-11-2013, 01:01 AM
I kind of like that label the way it is. (Well, maybe a little smaller. :D) Those mountains look GREAT.

matty406
04-11-2013, 06:43 PM
### latest wip ###

Chashio
04-11-2013, 06:53 PM
Oh yeah, that works better for the label. Mountains look great!

arsheesh
04-11-2013, 07:31 PM
Overall this is looking really nice matter, although I don't think the bright blue within your neat lines really compliments the style of the map. I'd try a more muted color with more green, brown or yellow.

Cheers,
-Arsheesh

Beoner
04-11-2013, 08:25 PM
Even though I think it is good this way, I agree with arsheesh, maybe a more muted color would be better in this case.

Very good work on the mountains btw, they are amazing :)

matty406
04-20-2013, 09:32 AM
Bit of an update.
### LATEST WIP ###

Khamero
04-21-2013, 11:17 AM
This looks really good, I am personally very fond if the city icons. The sketchyness of them gives it all a very natural tone, like someone actually drew up the map by hand. =)

The fortress out in the water looks a bit weird though.

matty406
04-21-2013, 12:54 PM
Oh whoops! That's an accident.

matty406
04-25-2013, 07:03 PM
This, might have knocked the map off it's balance; I really don't like the idea of hand drawing every tree, but making a brush for trees looks kind of cheap.
I don't know.
also there's a key that I might remove because there's a big gap down at the bottom there.
### LATEST WIP ###

Diamond
04-25-2013, 08:50 PM
What you might do is integrate the key into the upper right corner of the map itself; you've got an area up there that's blank right now, and unless you're planning on adding a lot of important stuff in there, the key would probably fit (scaled down, of course), with minimum effort.

matty406
04-25-2013, 09:34 PM
Ah thanks, that looks a bit better.
### LATEST WIP ###

Eilathen
04-26-2013, 12:37 PM
This looks very nice! Mountains are very good.
And no one repped you yet?! Well, let me be the first then ;) And a "like" on top of it.

- Max -
04-26-2013, 12:40 PM
Waiting to the finished map to rep it :p but sre it's repworthy

Schwarzkreuz
04-26-2013, 05:21 PM
I like the desaturated Colors and the long form. Realy splendid work.

Eilathen
04-27-2013, 04:17 AM
Waiting to the finished map to rep it :p but sre it's repworthy

You can rep. a project more than once, you know ;) :P

- Max -
04-27-2013, 04:46 AM
But you have to rep 10 others projects before coming back giving some love again ;) :p

daemaree
04-29-2013, 12:49 AM
Visually, this map is really cool! I love the light colors, and I think the individual, hand-drawn mountains are brilliant. There is only one thing that catches me off guard...

Compasses don't make sense on any kind of map that is not a straight-out "Mercator Projection" style grid layout. Theoretically, if you use a compass on any other kind of projection, the only spot that's actually pointing true north is the 'middle' of the map. Otherwise, the compass is pointing to a spot that's not actually north, because you're representing a curved surface. Just as an example, try moving the compass to the bottom right of the map... it's no longer pointing toward anything close to north. You can get away with it on very close-up maps of cities or small regions... and, you could probably get away with it if you didn't have lines of longitude or latitude. It's a small, minor thing, and doesn't subtract from the visual value of your map at all. It's just one of those weird nit-picky things.

Regardless, best of luck! It's truly a beautiful piece!

matty406
04-29-2013, 11:07 AM
Visually, this map is really cool! I love the light colors, and I think the individual, hand-drawn mountains are brilliant. There is only one thing that catches me off guard...

Compasses don't make sense on any kind of map that is not a straight-out "Mercator Projection" style grid layout. Theoretically, if you use a compass on any other kind of projection, the only spot that's actually pointing true north is the 'middle' of the map. Otherwise, the compass is pointing to a spot that's not actually north, because you're representing a curved surface. Just as an example, try moving the compass to the bottom right of the map... it's no longer pointing toward anything close to north. You can get away with it on very close-up maps of cities or small regions... and, you could probably get away with it if you didn't have lines of longitude or latitude. It's a small, minor thing, and doesn't subtract from the visual value of your map at all. It's just one of those weird nit-picky things.

Regardless, best of luck! It's truly a beautiful piece!

Thanks! And thanks a lot for the technical part too; I see what you mean and it was interesting to read. This is just purely for looks but I appreciate your realism aspect.